Got Hooked On Bending Fast.

ZFJango

In my experience both in life, grip, and bending, it's better to full-ass a few things then half-ass a lot of things.

For myself trying to go hard at powerlifting, grippers, hub work, thickbar, and bending was just too much overall work and they all started to suffer without me really knowing it.

When I solo started to focus on Powerlifting, grippers and thickbar is when I started to see the most improvement. Doing too much is a real thing.

Absolutely. Finding the areas of strength training that complement each other in practice is learned along the way. I feel like grippers and bending complement each other well, but, if not approached with moderation, could lead to disastrous results.

Best progression is usually working your way down in .5" increments

I think on average 6.5" is a 10% increase in strength and 6" is a 15% increase in relation the same bar at 7". This is usually only helpful if you have calibrated stock to use and compare with

I disagree. The best progression is to find a goal, work toward it by keeping the stock the same length. There are a million different diameters out there. One should have no problem progressing with out cutting anything down. And it's 10-15% for every .5 removed. Remove an inch the weight goes up 20-30%

• Like 2

Best progression is usually working your way down in .5" increments

I think on average 6.5" is a 10% increase in strength and 6" is a 15% increase in relation the same bar at 7". This is usually only helpful if you have calibrated stock to use and compare with

I disagree. The best progression is to find a goal, work toward it by keeping the stock the same length. There are a million different diameters out there. One should have no problem progressing with out cutting anything down. And it's 10-15% for every .5 removed. Remove an inch the weight goes up 20-30%

That is interesting, EJ. I like that notion about keeping the stock the same length, and just finding a slightly larger diameter. I have been looking at this 5" piece of 1/4" CRS that I cut, and been wondering to myself if I am completely sane in thinking about trying to bend it.

You will find hand placement all the way to shoulder placement is different. You keep jumping around to different lengths your body will never really get as strong as it can. It's two steps forward one step back because you have to retrain your muscles. Set a goal at a specific length, reach that goal, set new goal.

I have found that 7" stock will make you strong in 6" stock but 6" stock will not make you strong in 7" stock.

And everyone is different. I'm not the know everything about bending, but you do have to listen to your body and understand what it tells you. From my experience, for me jumping around in length did more harm than good. Once I focused on a length my strength kept climbing.

Edited by EJ Livesey

EJ, Sorry I meant currently he is working his way down in inch increments on the 1/4" so I meant to suggest that .5" increments would be better. But I would suggest increasing the diameter and staying with 7" rather than cutting down

Interesting, I didn't realise it was that much of a difference at 6" I thought it was 15%. Oops!

EJ, Sorry I meant currently he is working his way down in inch increments on the 1/4" so I meant to suggest that .5" increments would be better. But I would suggest increasing the diameter and staying with 7" rather than cutting down

Interesting, I didn't realise it was that much of a difference at 6" I thought it was 15%. Oops!

Oh gotcha. Sometimes it tough to read all these threads and posts. Sometimes they just run together. Gotta keep this section running smooth since I am is hardly ever on here.

• Like 1

I cut a 5" piece of the 1/4" steel,but I am not going to try to hit that for a couple of days. I have to tell you, I am kind of pissed that no one ever told me how gorram shiny bending is! I would have been doing this a long time ago.

Bending is like Crack cocaine. Hell of a drug. Good luck.

I cut a 5" piece of the 1/4" steel,but I am not going to try to hit that for a couple of days. I have to tell you, I am kind of pissed that no one ever told me how gorram shiny bending is! I would have been doing this a long time ago.

Bending is like Crack cocaine. Hell of a drug. Good luck.

TRUTH! Thank you, Acorn.