Just Got My Coc's

Sonofwolf

As Justin said

Lots of guys close #2s the first time with no training, but you never hear the same story about a #3.

I think it may be possible for someone to close a no 2 even with no strength training at all, if for example one is using a lot of his grip all day at work for many years. I've heard of a guy at my clinic who got 160 pounds of force on the handgrip dynamometer without exercising. If I'm not mistaken he was a construction worker. Not sure how the dyno measure translates to grippers but I was able to get ~160 before (my best after many tries) at the same time that I was closing the no 2 but not a 2.5 or 3. But yea, to close a no 3 I don't think is possible unless you spend time specifically training your grip with grippers or perhaps a tool/machine that mimics the same movement pattern.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

It happens..for example I know it's not grippers but I'm pretty sure Tommy Jennings bent a red nail the first time he tried with no previous training. which takes normal people years of training! Anyway off topic..

Aaron Farley, a COC who lives near me, TNS closed a #3 fresh out of the package on his first attempt. However, he has a strength training background, and had been working with a #1.5 extensively.

perhaps I shouldn't say no gripper training, it could be possible for one who is doing a lot of other grip work and working the same/similar muscles

this discussion reminds me of this, Ronnie Coleman trying to close a no 3

i'm sure if he knew how to set it he would have got that!

The first #3 I closed was the first time I tried one. I can even remember guys making fun of me for closing it backwards. There's a video on here somewhere. But I bent a lot of steel, a lot of steel. Over 200lbs in a single year, I recycle. So even though it was not grip specific it was a form of hand strengthening.

• Like 1

As Justin said

Lots of guys close #2s the first time with no training, but you never hear the same story about a #3.

I think it may be possible for someone to close a no 2 even with no strength training at all, if for example one is using a lot of his grip all day at work for many years. I've heard of a guy at my clinic who got 160 pounds of force on the handgrip dynamometer without exercising. If I'm not mistaken he was a construction worker. Not sure how the dyno measure translates to grippers but I was able to get ~160 before (my best after many tries) at the same time that I was closing the no 2 but not a 2.5 or 3. But yea, to close a no 3 I don't think is possible unless you spend time specifically training your grip with grippers or perhaps a tool/machine that mimics the same movement pattern.

It certainly is possible but it's also certainly very unusual.

I know a fair bit of people that doesn't workout but have jobs that are heavy. To be fair though, if you have a job like that you're actually strength training although you don't look at it that way.

I know a car mechanic who tried my CoC's and he couldn't close the #2 but was very close on the #1.5. I imagine all the screw driver work and loosening of screws and nuts with wrenches pays off.

• Like 1

perhaps I shouldn't say no gripper training, it could be possible for one who is doing a lot of other grip work and working the same/similar muscles

It's kinda hard to be impressed by someone with that type of cupboard.

And yeah, deadlifting is grip training. I'm sure he's been doing a lot of deadlifts.

He held it very far up so I think it's safe to say that he would've got it with a proper set yes.

It would be strange if a guy like him, whether it's a bodybuilder that size or a strongman wouldn't shut the #3. The lifting they regularly do, simply requires so much strength in the hands.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 1

I forgot to say i have 1 year gym and my cousin is a college rower.I tried today to close the 1.5" with 2 fingers and had 2 cm left .Ronnie is a walking pharmacy, literally decades of hgh and steroids + he deadlifted 800 on his pl days, 3 not impressive on him

My friend tns closed a #2 the first time he tried closing any tsg ever after we had a few to boot. After I showed him how to set the gripper he closed a 2.5. Couldn't close a #3 but was closer than Coleman in that video. He also picked up a pre-usa half of a 95.

maybe he should join the race to MM0 here. :D

I wonder if he practiced closing it again after that time.

The first #3 I closed was the first time I tried one. I can even remember guys making fun of me for closing it backwards. There's a video on here somewhere. But I bent a lot of steel, a lot of steel. Over 200lbs in a single year, I recycle. So even though it was not grip specific it was a form of hand strengthening.

I can see how there can be a carryover of strength to grippers but still very impressive! Never heard of anyone else closing #3 first time.

I tried today to close the 1.5" with 2 fingers and had 2 cm left .

how many reps can you TNS your 1.5?

I closed my 2 first try out of the package. Not the 3 though.

I forgot to say i have 1 year gym and my cousin is a college rower.I tried today to close the 1.5" with 2 fingers and had 2 cm left .Ronnie is a walking pharmacy, literally decades of hgh and steroids + he deadlifted 800 on his pl days, 3 not impressive on him

2 cm on a torsion spring gripper is not close.

Closing the gap Ronnie Coleman has in the video on the #3 is actually not all that close on a gripper like the #3 either, although he held it too far up, so he'd definitely close it with a proper set.

On heavy grippers like that, it can be very difficult to close a gap that small. Thats why there's so few people who has closed the #4.

2cm = an entire 20mm block set. When you get above #2.5 level you have to fight for every mm of progress and 20mm off your goal gripper can take months!

If you train right you can progress quickly at your current level :)

• Like 2