Red Nail Double Underhand In 1.3" Double Wraps

Ivan Beritashvili

December 21 st, 2014
First unbraced steel bending session since April when I have damaged my thumb web.
Looking through WSH 2015 events, some time I was thinking what can I do to replace rear pickaxe lift in my training, as for now I can do not more than 2 kilos in plates. Suddenly a decision came - steel bending! ok, I can't reverse, but can do modified DU.
As it is my first bending session after so long time, I have chosen double wraps, IMPs + DHWOG wraps analogue. And here is what I got (suddenly) :D
1) CRS 6" x 8 mm from Hannes Kainz. He sent it to me as a slightly easier stock than red nail, when I prepared for my IronMind cert. It rates at 500 lbs at 6" length, and about 390-400 lbs at 7" length. One big hit to well past 40 degrees. Bend starts at 05.00.

2) I shared by my victory by phone with my friend Alex Pritula, and he insisted "Go try Red Nail!! Go!!".
Ok, I did :) it was a long fight, 3 hits to 60 degrees, 0-15 deg, 15-30 deg, 30-50 deg. Bend starts at 01.30

Very pleased with these bends. Both of the bars (Hannes's 8 mm CRS and Red Nail) I NEVER was able to move underhanded in ANY wraps. I guess, working on DU style will toughen my ulnar part of wrist tendons without bothering damaged place in hands.
  • Like 6

I'm amazed with your strength. Those are both crazy bends. I really believe you should practice this style more often.

Very strong DU! Quite strict too. I agree with EJ, I think you will be incredibly strong at this style. Always my favorite.

Yes!!!! Awesome stuff Ivan!!! Congrats on your conversion to one of the most awesome styles ever.

• Like 1

Great bend Ivan!

I think this is a good idea. Reverse bending made my ulnar strength in my left hand go from nothing to being stronger than my right. It also mad my radial deviation even stronger in my right and put my left hand even further behind than it already was lol.

Great bends Ivan!

• Like 1

Great bending, Ivan! DU was my favorite style. I was already "retired" from bending by the time you burst on the scene, so you might not even know who I am. But I started off in 2000 bending DU and used it exclusively for about 6 years. Then I finally made the switch to high DO and it took off from there. I got a lot stronger DU after my DO success though. I was a traditional DU bender until learning the Modified DU style and that was a lot of fun mowing through the steel that way too. It resulted in a Fantastic both DO and Modified DU in 2008.

Great bending, Ivan! DU was my favorite style. I was already "retired" from bending by the time you burst on the scene, so you might not even know who I am. But I started off in 2000 bending DU and used it exclusively for about 6 years. Then I finally made the switch to high DO and it took off from there. I got a lot stronger DU after my DO success though. I was a traditional DU bender until learning the Modified DU style and that was a lot of fun mowing through the steel that way too. It resulted in a Fantastic both DO and Modified DU in 2008.

"I think my bones moved" :D

Mike, Josh, Carter, Jose, Martin, Carl, Rens, Tommy, Manthos - huge thanks for taking time to watch this all!!

And special thanks for noticing my Indian pants :grin::grin::grin:

I think this is a good idea. Reverse bending made my ulnar strength in my left hand go from nothing to being stronger than my right. It also mad my radial deviation even stronger in my right and put my left hand even further behind than it already was lol.

Great bends Ivan!

Thank you David!

I found this also! Reverse steel bending really increased my rear lever lift strength on right arm.

But funny thing - this dependance goes only in one direction. Increasing weights in levers didn't help my reverse.

For better steel bending - one better do steel bending and isos ;)

Mr. Ben Edwards, for sure I know who you are. Very pleased my bends caught your eye! Thank you!

Ben, unfortunately I have seen no videos of your bends. Could you please share them? It will be awesome motivation for me, and maybe I will take something from your technique!

Mr. Ben Edwards, for sure I know who you are. Very pleased my bends caught your eye! Thank you!

Ben, unfortunately I have seen no videos of your bends. Could you please share them? It will be awesome motivation for me, and maybe I will take something from your technique!

Damn, the time fly's by. When I read that Ben's fantastic bastard bend's were allready done in 2008 I was a little shocked!

That's about the time when I stopped with serious bending. I think I was a decent DU Bender at that time but was never able to figure out the modified DU techique so no chance to keep up with the best DU Benders at that time.