20 Lb Sledgehammer Fingerwalks

kodyburns

I made it with one 2,5 kg plate on it but I had to grunt and struggle.

Two plates tho...

that's not bad at all dude. i struggle with strict walking anything over 13 pounds, my best was 15.5. The hardest part of fingerwalking is building endurance, i can get a head of steam on a walk w/ 20lb but i burn out about halfway up. These are the type of drills that make your grip truly strong, not just strong in specific tasks like pinching a certain width or closing a gripper. This is the type of hand strength that will last for a lifetime and carry over to any grip sport feat.

• Like 3

Two plates tho...

that's not bad at all dude. i struggle with strict walking anything over 13 pounds, my best was 15.5. The hardest part of fingerwalking is building endurance, i can get a head of steam on a walk w/ 20lb but i burn out about halfway up. These are the type of drills that make your grip truly strong, not just strong in specific tasks like pinching a certain width or closing a gripper. This is the type of hand strength that will last for a lifetime and carry over to any grip sport feat.

That's what happened to me too. Did the 10lbs sledge once, tried 20lbs, came up like 12" and got stuck.

Took one plate off and struggled and grunted til the head was where i could touch it with my indexfinger.

Gonna start doing these after pinch from now on.

• Like 1

Two plates tho...

That's what happened to me too. Did the 10lbs sledge once, tried 20lbs, came up like 12" and got stuck.

Took one plate off and struggled and grunted til the head was where i could touch it with my indexfinger.

Gonna start doing these after pinch from now on.

You'll be amazed how fast you can work up in weight on these but you do have to put in some time. Usually once or twice a week I throw these in as a secondary grip exercise. I like to get to the point in training where I am doing one every 5 or 10 minutes for however long I'm working out that particular night. Sometimes it's a few hours and sometimes several hours. My advice is start with an 8lb and try to do one every 5 minutes for an hour. That's 12 sets. When you can get 12 sets in an hour or so then your ready to move up to the 10lb, 12lb and so on. You might need a little more rest between sets when your first starting. Like Jon Vance said the strength of these comes from the stamina and doing multiple sets builds this strength. Doing 3 or 4 sets is a good start but the real rewards come from doing them over and over. Then pretty soon you'll be doin a 10lb or 12lb anytime and all day.

• Like 1