Test Subjects For An Experimental Program For Grip

John McCarter

I had to mess with the volume enough that it no longer resembled the program, but have made decent gains. Almost 11 pound gain in 1RM over the last 2 months.

• Like 1

Wow, thats a solid gain there Chops!

Yeah. I'm not following it as strict as I should to say it's all that program. It's more a combination of things that work for me and also things I enjoy. Unfortunately I think I'm still getting noob gains. Almost had an offhand three close today. I am maxing out around 146.

Sheesh, my best at a comp was 108, grippers really fry my elbows

Mine too, I've all but cut them from my routine. I've averaged one session per week at about 70% 1rm

Not sure why, but my elbows feels better than they have in years. I've battled tendinitis for about twelve years. Cortisone shots and everything. I hit extensors until I can't take it any more, I think it helps.

For grippers I have been doing chez's program to pyramid up slowly, then I shoot for as many max singles as I can. Today I did about 10 at my max. I do clapping push-ups before my attempts since I don't lift weights. This really fires your CNS. Then I do five heavy negatives(173#). Then pyramid down doing doubles or singles like chez. I do one day a week practicing my set with heavy grippers. And the in between days I use a .5 to pump blood into my arms for rehab. I don't feel like it's as much volume as it sounds. It's worked really well the last two months. Haven't yet been at it 6months so still a noob trying to figure it out. John helped a buch, and bencrush has helped plenty as well. His suggestion to go to a pinch style set has saved my some pain, and also increased my thumb strength a ton.

• Like 1

Oh, and tons of stretching! I complained about pain in my setting hand, everyone said to stretch!!! I finally started stretching before, after, hell!! I stretch all day now. My hands arms wrists elbows fingers biceps feel all the better.

I hit extensors until I can't take it any more, I think it helps.

Really glad you are doing this. Very important when hitting grippers hard. Keep it up so you stay in balance. Contrast baths are also great to help speed up recovery time.

• Like 1

Really glad you are doing this. Very important when hitting grippers hard. Keep it up so you stay in balance. Contrast baths are also great to help speed up recovery time.

Yeah!! Hand x bands are awesome!!!

Yeah!! Hand x bands are awesome!!!

They are, I had the heavy one but it broke. I wish they made them harder and tougher to break.

I've been using the hard handxband and putting the IM band over it. Works awesome!!

I've been using the hard handxband and putting the IM band over it. Works awesome!!

Sand digging is great... there is no eccentric so you can basically to a high volume of recovery work with virtually no little tissue damage... it's basically grips version of sled dragging.

Sand digging is great... there is no eccentric so you can basically to a high volume of recovery work with virtually no little tissue damage... it's basically grips version of sled dragging.

Thanks, I will try this. I've passed it over because the bands are so easy to use and keep in a pocket, but this sounds way more beneficial.