Snatching A Water Jug

Tom Black

Now fella's it's time to start snatching anvils by the horn.Be carefull tho as it turns over into the "Statue of Liberty" position at arms length it gets pretty unweildy. Do try this outdoors with some type of wrist wrap or tape to prevent blowing out tendons.My best mark is a 100 pounder. RS

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• Tom Black

• bseedot

• gazza

Now fella's it's time to start snatching anvils by the horn.Be carefull tho as it turns over into the "Statue of Liberty" position at arms length it gets pretty unweildy. Do try this outdoors with some type of wrist wrap or tape to prevent blowing out tendons.My best mark is a 100 pounder. RS

Easy for you to say! You're the only guy who can crush a dime and get two nickels!!

Sheesh, grip legends. When will they stop tormenting us mere mortals?

;)

Yes, that's a little out of my league...for now. I assume that the anvil horn is even tougher than a 2" loading pin. I've snatched 65-pounds with the IM loading pin and was pretty pleased with myself, it's hard and scary to do. The anvil being unbalanced I'm sure makes it even more difficult at the top. Too bad that they don't make 10-gallon water jugs, that would be hard, with all that water shifting around.

A friend of mine who trains with full 5 gallon water jugs can snatch one with ease. He says that levering them up from the hang postion to the shoulder, holding the neck is much harder. I am still waiting for somebody else to try the 5 gallon beermug feat. I am not sure where anvils fit into this thread. They are not exactly common household objects. I certainly do not own any.

I've yet to see one of those jugs with a handle around here, it would be fun to try. I wonder about your friend who can "lever them up," it seems that this would be more torque than a world record Weaver stick (I'm estimating over 400 pounds). Maybe there's just a bit of swing on that lift ;)

Actually, an anvil snatch would be a very similar movement, and a nice long term goal, thanks for reminding us Richard.

The levering up is from the hang to resting the jug on the shoulder. The snatch from the hang to overhead is done with straight arm, and is of course a much faster lift. A 5 gallon water jug is much bigger in size than an anvil of the same weight. The gripping area is also a lot shorter than the horn of an anvil. On top of this the water is not inert as is the solid mass of an anvil. The jugs are easy to find and buy. although you may have to get one online if you cannot find one in your neck off the woods, that comes with a side handle. My local B J's store sells water in such containers.

Richard,

I've hauled up about 150 pounds on my LBH. Does that count?

OldGuy,

Ah ha!! I knew you were Ric Flair (tell Triple H that I said hello!). :yikes

I am proud to say that I have been a friend of "OldGuy" - for close to 16 years now. I met him when I was 17 or 18 and started working in the same warehouse as him. He had a reputation in that warehouse as "Big John", and he has been my friend for all this time. We live near each other. He introduced me to heavy lifting and alot of the iron game history. I have worked out with him on numerous occasions and have seen him miss a lift badly one week, and then come back one week later and easily do up to 200 pounds more on the same lift! I have sent him my water bottle snatch lift picture, and if he can post it thats fine with me. I can now do more and will figure out a way to add weight to the water bottle, be it duct tape and small plates or something else. I have trained for a long time on leverage wrist lifts involving chair legs and water bottles. I usually do these lifts at work in an office enviroment.

Mike Grutto

ahhh yes, snatching an anvil.

The 55-pounder Steve left here is pretty easy to snatch-though the horn is super thick so you have to watch out.

I have a 120-pounder with a thinner horn that I tried to snatch a little while ago. It flew out of my hand and right towards Derek-who thankfully fled the area :ohmy

This is an incredible feat that I hope to one day achieve- :bow

Rick Walker :rock

Mike,

Very cool pics! :rock

But I'd rather hear about the butts John has kicked around the warehouse. :laugh Ther has got to be some great stories! :cool

Nice lift.Does NOT look easy but definitely puts a new meaning to 'hanging around the water fountain at work'....