O Drill Rod In Imps And A Red.

king crusher

Okay so I tried the new drill rod out. A 7" O was tough. A lot harder than a red. Not really a lot more on kink but way more from them on.

I then did a red and it felt way easier then the O. But still tougher then when I do a red first obviously.

I did this outside ala Dmitti today lol. So nice out. Felt like I lost a little adrenaline Rush without my music.

Both of these but especially the O are bending off center. The O was a full 1/4" off the center mark!! Not sure how to fix that.

What does O rate at usually?

• Like 1

Dude, that's fantastic. I am so happy you started bending; it warms my heart to see you fight those bars. Now if we could just get you into horseshoes. . .

Good job. I figured the O would be a decent jump up.

Bending off center, and I see this a lot with bends that at 80-100 max effort. The reason for this is simple. One arm is stronger than the other and it's very noticeable on stuff you have to work for. If you notice guys like Tommy, when he hits something huge he will switch hands. This is to even out the off-center bending. I do the same thing sometimes. Most of the time I notice or feel it happening so I'll post one hand and bend with the other. It's very stressful and you can see me shake right or left hand out depending on the bend or rub my palm. Most guys that know it's happening have thier own ways around it. Just practice and bend, your strength will even out enough to were its un-noticeable to everyone but you.

And this may be a blow to your ego but O doesn't rate much more than 440 if that.

All the N I have is 410-415 and the P is 465

Edited by EJ Livesey

Thanks guys. Ej I actually think the stainless was harder in the middle than this O. But the drill rod is smoother. I will get on a P next time. Thanks for the pointers!

Ej, I was thinking. If O is 440ish and P is 465ish how is Q 590ish like you mentioned the other day? Seems like a crazy jump?

Ej, I was thinking. If O is 440ish and P is 465ish how is Q 590ish like you mentioned the other day? Seems like a crazy jump?

The q is a bigger jump in diameter. And I actually stumbled on a pieces that was 520 not too long ago. I remember when I was making my way to R I bent both the letter and the number sizes to fill in these gaps. Gaps that are .1 are huge when you start getting into the thicker drill rod.

This is the exact problem I saw with the progression to the Gold nail. I looked all over to try and fill the gaps of .1 but there was nothing but custom machining. So my progression to the good has a jump of .1

And this may be a blow to your ego but O doesn't rate much more than 440 if that. All the N I have is 410-415 and the P is 465

I found 5/16" 0-1 harder than any N, O, or P bar I ever tried. At 7" at least.

So is 5/16 drill rod harder than 5/16 CRS? It must be. Where does it fall in diameter compared to letter dr? I'm gonna pick up a cheap micrometer at harbor freight. Anything to look for?

Edited by king crusher

So is 5/16 drill rod harder than 5/16 CRS? I

The hardest Mike K ever calibrated was 505# (to my knowledge). A couple guys got on the IMP list with 5/16" @ over 500# because of a slightly easier crush due to the reduced diameter. Easiest I found was 475#. I think 5/16 is thicker than N but thinner than O.

Get a micrometer that has inches, mm, AND fractions.

Cool thanks for the info Mike. Where is this imp list you're talking about?

Gone into the ether with the demise of Bender's Battlefield. I can tell you Jt was #1 with Tommy & Ej right behind. That list was so tight almost no one could break into the top 10. Wiggy was on there, and Sean Cashman and Carl Donati Jr were the last two added with 500#+ bends. Rules were IMP standard. Under 60 seconds, no rubber bands.

King, pm me your address and I'll send you some calibrated Q and practice Q

That's an accomplishment. 500# under a min no bands! Id like to get to that.

It's a huge accomplishment. Especially considering the speed in reduced wraps. I know Sean & Carl worked patiently for years.

I did no bands once on a red and what I noticed is you basically can't lossen or change your grip because the wrap will unwind.

Pmed EJ.

i just measured

N- .30

O- .3145

Q- .33

the Q is a huge jump. thats why the calibrations can be so high and all over the place, 520-590

Edited by EJ Livesey

p must be .32 Id guess? It will be cool to try something of an actual known lb rating. Like rated grippers have.

p must be .32 Id guess? It will be cool to try something of an actual known lb rating. Like rated grippers have.

i messed up, i was deligating jobs to do at work tonight, right now im running things.

so here are the correct measurements:

N- .30

O- .3145

P- .32

Q- .3305

R- .3380

5/15- .3105

Ninja edit:

i have a box of steel that need to be calibrated righ in front of me

Edited by EJ Livesey

right now im running things.

Dear god

Its the wine talking :grin:

and they trust me with a gun, employees and a few hundred thousand dollars with of equiptment. crazy right? :shutup:

You also have 21/64 in there at .328 as a gap filler.

I just calibrated several pieces of drill rod in the calibration thread and I will say I was disappointed in some of the huge jumps in numbers. Be nice to have a metal lathe but machine bars to bend, or having it done, would be very expensive.

The day I win the lottery I'm going to have a steel mail pour a batch of 12L14 and precision grind it all in 100th increments. .312, 313 etc....

Shoot then I'll probably hire Tommy and EJ to bend it for me ha ha!

By the way, congratulations on a very nice bend. Precision Marshal drill rod feels tougher per calibration numbers than either CRS or fastenal drill rod. I like the way it feels though.

Cool thanks for the info Mike. Where is this imp list you're talking about?

Here is the old Benders Battlefield 7" Double overhand list. Ironmind pads, no bands, 1 minute time limit.

7" O-1 Drill Rod

1. JT Straussner, .339", 610-lbs.

2. EJ Livesey, "Q" 590-lbs.

3. Paul Knight, .339", 540-lbs.

4. David Wigren, "Q" 520-lbs.

5. Sean Cashman, 21/64", 515-lbs.

6. Mike Rinderle, 5/16", 505-lbs.

6. Carl Donati Jr., 5/16", 505-lbs.

6. Richard Bean, 5/16", 505-lbs.

7. Alexis Maroupas, .339", 500-lbs.

8. Chad Rickicki, 5/16", 490-lbs.

The first thing I notice when I see this list is no Tommy. I don't know why he never certed this list but he would be near the very top of if he had wanted to.

21/64" DR is really what helped me get on this list. 21/64" = 0.3281 diameter. I bought 21/64" DR from multiple suppliers in the hopes of getting some variation in poundage.

The 500lb barrier in imps, sub 1 minute was my #1 bending goal. Being a smallish guy at 185lb and not a naturally strong person it took me a lot longer (many years) to build up to it than it does most. I think that's why it felt so rewarding to achieve it.

Btw - Great bends also! I used to bend a bunch of stuff off center, but it seemed like the more I bent over time the less and less it happened.

Thanks for all the good info guys. I picked up a micrometer. Only 17 bucks from harbor. It is heavy so feels solid. It measures sae, metric and fractional as Mike recommended. Most don't measure the fractional I noticed. Glad he told me that or I'd probably not of thought about it.

Thanks tommy. Yeah I feel like it's easier to get in a good groove. Feels like I've bent more then I really have. 38 pieces to date.

Thanks tommy. Yeah I feel like it's easier to get in a good groove. Feels like I've bent more then I really have. 38 pieces to date.

You definitely have some huuuuge potential to bend some big, big steel! I'm enjoying following you progress and look forward to what you kill next!

• Like 1