Harder Steel. Recommend Something.

king crusher

Hey guys, what do you recommend that going to be harder than a red and 5/16 stainless? What should I try next?

Also a question about leather.

I bought some scrap leather from a craft store and cut two strips. Both 10"x4" one side is raw the other has that typical shiney almost slippery surface. Will this work over imps if I ever want to try doubles? And would you guys wrap raw side up or down? Or I was thinking of sanding the shiney side to rough it up?

Thanks

All steel has potential to vary that much, it's a good workout. And most drill rod now that is O-1 will vary -/+ 20lbs. If you want as close to a guarantee as possible, stick with graded bolts. Other than that use the chart to loosely track your progress.

Edited by EJ Livesey

Bolts are too damn expensive I'm sure. I may order some drill rod again. Maybe Q and R?

Wow I just seen Q ranges from 465-610!!! On that chart. What the??

All the Q I've tried is 590 and it's very tough. Stick with O and P. Any plans on certing the red

Tonight with no warm up I CCS the 3 to under 1/8" and have not tried in a long time so I may do that for awhile and cert both. The red is in the bag.

Edited by king crusher

I just ordered some drill rod. Took your advice EJ. Got 9 feet worth of O and P and 3 feet of.....Q. Just to look at. Lol

Last time it was here the next day I couldn't believe it.

if you want to be sure in poundage - you may go for calibrated steel to uniquely fix your level.

Please take a look what can you choose from (For comparison, red nail is 145-150 kg; 5/16" Stainless will be somewhere is 160-170 kg):

cInJY554ERk.jpg

Have you tried any hex stock? If you are interested in bolts but can't find any that are in your price range check out this link http://www.asmc.net/ .I bought 56 Edgins for around $1 each after shipping. Also, you can put a wanted ad on here for harder stock and you might get a bite from an old school Bender like I did. I got all I wanted and more! :)

• Like 1

Good options guys. Will see how these new drill rods go and I'll go from there. Hopefully I'll get them tomorrow. Didn't order til after midnight though. And acro no I havnt tried any hex stock. Or square.

Edited by king crusher

Drill Rod, Hex, stainless hex, 11/32 CRS are all good options. 3/8 hot rolled steel is another good and cheaper option.

All of it can vary though as EJ said. I've got 11/32 that's 500 pounds all the way up to about 600.

The 5/16 G5s are a good option as well and probably cheaper than some of the steel.

It only took 34 hours from the time I submited the order online until ups showed up for delivery of the drill rod. That place is fast!! This stuff is thick. Especially the Q rod. Time to break out the angle grinder.

Anyone wanting drill rod, go to toolanddie