M Drill Rod Bend

king crusher

So I was out doing yard work and it's 83 out so my hands were pretty warm and I decided what better time to try a M drill rod.

I warmed up with my last 60d nail. I need to buy more now.

To date here is everything I've bent....

10 60d spiral nails 6"

3 1/4x6" bolts. About the same as the 60ds

2 I drill rods 7"

1 J drill rod 7"

1 K drill rod 7"

1 L drill rod 7"

And now 1 M drill rod 7"

Oh and kinked a red, twice. One BARELY and one a little more haha

Well here is the M bend. What do you guys think? I feel that was close to a max effort. Way harder then the L. But EJ was spot on, the kink was not a whole lot harder then the L but the crush was way harder.

My right knuckle is kinda sore now. More then with the L which was barely any. But not as bad as the red attempts. Is there a reason it's hurting my index/pointer top knuckle?

Here's the vid. Half way through my daughter was breaking my block of chalk into pieces so that really upped my concentration I'm sure lol 'shakes head'

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ghl6lBQhYWw

EJ is 100% right. You are going to have a really strong kink. Here's what I see. Your overall body strength is ahead of your wrists' ability to be steady under that amount of pressure which can lead you to slippage and/or an injury. I would be careful about pushing too far too fast. Nice bending though.

Yeah mike you are most likely right on all counts. I used to do wrist curls and stuff back in the day with dumbbells over the edge of my knee and got pretty good at them using up to 70lb db's but then injured one and stopped doing wrist stuff. Just whatever they get secondarily during gym work. And maybe some during rolling thunder but I haven't done that in a couple months. I haven't even used my grippers since I've been bending for 6-8 weeks now. I may start up on grippers and rt and rest bending for a bit. Will see

Yeah mike you are most likely right on all counts. I used to do wrist curls and stuff back in the day with dumbbells over the edge of my knee and got pretty good at them using up to 70lb db's but then injured one and stopped doing wrist stuff. Just whatever they get secondarily during gym work. And maybe some during rolling thunder but I haven't done that in a couple months. I haven't even used my grippers since I've been bending for 6-8 weeks now. I may start up on grippers and rt and rest bending for a bit. Will see

Grippers don't affect DO bending. I believe Tommy commented that the best thing for wrist stability was sledge DL's to the front and to the rear.

Yeah I messed around with a sledge one time and they are brutal on your wrists. I may have to buy one.

Yeah I messed around with a sledge one time and they are brutal on your wrists. I may have to buy one.

You are looking for stability, not exactly the same as levering strength.

So just bending will give me that?

Anyone know what up with my stupid knuckle?

So just bending will give me that?

Anyone know what up with my stupid knuckle?

I haven't watched the video yet and I will soon. I'm not home.

Is your knuckle splitting or just painful? If it's pain to see a doc, you may have arthritis. But if it's splitting

maybe if you add some more oil to your diet it might help. Oil like pure olive oil, fish oil or flaxseed. It really helps your skin retain it's elasticity. When I'm bending heavy I take a little less than a teaspoon of olive oil a day. Taste like shit but helps my skin not split. The oil may help your joints as well. I have no experience with that, so I can't comment either way.

Edited by EJ Livesey

It's not splitting. I've yet to do that. It's pain in the knuckle. Man I hope it's not arthritis. Mid 30s is to young for that crap. Bending is the only thing that's ever caused it though.

Explain exactly what hurts and what seems to irritate it. What it feels like. Chances are I've been there and may be able to lead you in the right direction.

Well I'll say now it doesn't hurt anymore at all. I took 3 200mg ibuprofen and went to the gym to work legs and it's as good as new.

But when it does hurt is right after a bend. Actually I felt it a tad after first hit on the M.

It's just a pain, but it's not in any of the other knuckles just the index right and left index to a lesser deg.

It is kind of a throbbing. After those all out efforts on the red it was pretty bad. After I tried those reds I could barely use my hands immediately after, they were like not able to work a cell phone barely. Almost a slight tremble in the hands. But that was only after those two big red attempts. Them even the whole back of my hands ached.

Good bend man. Looking forward to following your progress. Sounds like the tendons on your hands are not use to the stress could take a while and a little volume for them to get conditioned. From what im seeing you have only bent a couple of pieces of steel all together. Im a novice but imo its gonna take more than 20 bends for your body to get used to the stress of bending.

Thanks James. Yeah you are probably right about that. Still sucks though.

Great bend King Crusher! I had a feeling you would smoke it. Technique is looking better and better. Your kink is strong! That was a nice long hit, I liked it.

Let the hands heal up bro and comeback at it. Steel bending is brutal on the hands. Pay attention to the pain and keep them healthy. Think long term health rather than short term payouts.

Great bend though! Really impressive stuff!!

Thanks Sean. Yeah I have only been doing a timber tie and a drill rod each time I bend as to not overtrain it.