First Bending Video

Frank Pizzo

I'm newer to bending and wanted to video myself for form critique purposes and documentation of my progress. In the video I bend a

5 1/2" X 1/4" grade 2 bolt in IMP's that I had laying around from a project I did a while back. I would appreciate any feedback as well as an approximation of the difficulty of this bolt compared to the Iron Mind nails I.E. about what color nail would this be close too. Thanks for taking a look guys. :)

• Like 2

I'm not an expert on bending or anything compared to a lot of guys on here, but folding the the wraps into thirds rather than in half makes for a thicker wrap with more leverage. I thought the bend looked good. As far as level... I think it would be somewhere around a blue nail. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I'm not an expert on bending or anything compared to a lot of guys on here, but folding the the wraps into thirds rather than in half makes for a thicker wrap with more leverage. I thought the bend looked good. As far as level... I think it would be somewhere around a blue nail. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Thanks you...Awesome...I haven't really given any thought to wrapping the stuff I am bending...at all! It makes sense that if it is thicker then it will be a bit easier from a leverage stand point!

Thanks man...My follow up question would be does it matter how you wrap a nail for certification. Can the IMP's be in half like I have them or even in thirds...also thanks for the approximate difficulty, that will help me decide what to buy going forward.

If anyone sees anything else feel free to comment, I know my technique can't be all that darn good after only 3 weeks!

Good start bro! Technique will come with practice, hold the bolt higher up into your neck for better leverage. There are much better benders than I but just my advice :grin:

As to the strength of it, the only way to find out I guess is to try a blue nail and see where that gets you as I have found that steel varies so much depending on brand etc

Graded bolts, have a hex head on them and are not threaded from top to bottom. What you have is a carriage bolt. Carriage bolts are significantly weaker than graded bolts. They are also prone to snapping and making your hands a bloody mess.

The IMPs should be folded into thirds, like the way they were shipped to you. It will not give more leverage, since IMPs are thin as paper anyway. It will give you an extra layer of hand protection. Let me tell you first hand, putting a nail through the wraps into your palm or thumb pad sucks.

It's really hard for me to gauge your technique or strength because that bolt is too weak for you. I'm 100% sure you could have bend that barehanded. Go to Home Depot and pick up some 60d nails, tri-told your wraps, use chalk and post another video.

• Like 1

Bend looked decent, like josh said get the bolt up tighter under the chin at the start of the bend. That will probably turn that initial kink from hard to pretty easy instantly. think about tucking it under the chin and then bringing the chin down at the start of the bend to lock it in. Also with the imps definitely fold them into thirds.

Ha ej must of posted as I was typing. Listen to his advice :)

Graded bolts, have a hex head on them and are not threaded from top to bottom. What you have is a carriage bolt. Carriage bolts are significantly weaker than graded bolts. They are also prone to snapping and making your hands a bloody mess.

The IMPs should be folded into thirds, like the way they were shipped to you. It will not give more leverage, since IMPs are thin as paper anyway. It will give you an extra layer of hand protection. Let me tell you first hand, putting a nail through the wraps into your palm or thumb pad sucks.

It's really hard for me to gauge your technique or strength because that bolt is too weak for you. I'm 100% sure you could have bend that barehanded. Go to Home Depot and pick up some 60d nails, tri-told your wraps, use chalk and post another video.

Thanks EJ I really appreciate the advice. I didn't realize that those types of bolts aren't graded, I thought since there were no lines on it it was a grade 2. I will definitely fold the pads into thirds and get some 60d nails and upload that video. As for bending it barehanded...I wish man...I tried my first 60d nail (wrapped) after the MGC a few weeks back and bent that one with moderate difficulty, this particular carriage bolt definitely felt harder but I could also be a bit weaker today. I also tried a grade 5 bolt that day but I could only get a slight bend in it...I can't remember the dimensions though.

I will post the next video when I have one!

Thanks again to everyone for the input, every little tip goes a long way!

Great start Frank! Nice job mate.

Already rock solid advice so far. The pads tri-folded and chalked up. Staying away from carriage bolts etc. all good.

The one thing I noticed was when you kinked the bar you were still leaning back pretty far. Trying to exert power into the bar with your upper body in that position is sub-optimal, you lose a lot of strength. Pause your video at the 1:57 minute mark and look at your posture trying to kink the bar. See how you are leaning back still. Your power is going nowhere. Open up another window on your computer and pause this bend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB_q7aMVTPQ at the 12 second mark. Notice the position of the upper body, not leaning back but over the top of the bar generating force forward and down. If you look at both video's at that time mark you can see the differences in posture. Hope this makes sense.

Look forward to seeing some more vids and bigger bends! Good luck!

• Like 1

Great start Frank! Nice job mate.

Already rock solid advice so far. The pads tri-folded and chalked up. Staying away from carriage bolts etc. all good.

The one thing I noticed was when you kinked the bar you were still leaning back pretty far. Trying to exert power into the bar with your upper body in that position is sub-optimal, you lose a lot of strength. Pause your video at the 1:57 minute mark and look at your posture trying to kink the bar. See how you are leaning back still. Your power is going nowhere. Open up another window on your computer and pause this bend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB_q7aMVTPQ at the 12 second mark. Notice the position of the upper body, not leaning back but over the top of the bar generating force forward and down. If you look at both video's at that time mark you can see the differences in posture. Hope this makes sense.

Look forward to seeing some more vids and bigger bends! Good luck!

I watched them side by side and I see what you mean man! I was leaning back way too far compared to the other video...after I came forward is really when the kink started. I was wasting a lot of strength and energy in the other position! Thank you very much for the help Sean, I really do appreciate it.

Carriage bolts are made of the same steel as a grade 2 but since they are threaded all the way, they are much easier as EJ has said.

I would look for some 1/4 inch by 6 inch grade 2 hex head bolts or some twist timber ties to try next. A 60d may be too much of a jump up but it never hurts to try. They should definitely be a goal of yours since people like to see them bend.

If you have a steel supplier nearby, you can get some 3/16 square, 1/4 inch hot rolled round and 1/4 inch cold rolled round and cut them into pieces. If you can swing it, the ironmind nails are great and the yellow will be the next step up for you. The bolt you bent will probably be like the green nail.

Later

Wow, I just watched the video and style-wise, you look like you're getting a really good start.