Where The Heck Is Kinney? Etc..

jvance

I feel like grip ran its course for most of the top guys. Take the Mash Monster ladder for example. A very small percentage of those guys are still active.

I think that CCSing the #4 is considered end of the road for a lot of gripper people.

Sure for 3 of them

I mean that no one really cares to pursue anything past that with grippers, regardless to if you are there yet or not.

I believe Paul is focused on family life (from what I have heard) and Adam is into BJJ and learning to fly. There are rumors he intends to return to bending.

Paul competed in last year's nationals. Seemed like he was still pretty darn strong to me.

I think Holle is the only person on earth at present moment with some decent training that could actually ccs a new 4. With the rest coming very close but not actually closing it. Jmo.

I think Holle is the only person on earth at present moment with some decent training that could actually ccs a new 4. With the rest coming very close but not actually closing it. Jmo.

I guarantee you Mike Burke could do it if he wanted to. Its not even a question.

• Like 1

Idk... Burkes hands are mighty big for closing that gripper. Once you're over that 9 inch or probably 10 in Burkes case, makes closing big grippers harder from a leverage standpoint. 8 inch or slightly smaller is probably the ideal size for grippers.

I'm sure Burke will finish this off this year. He was an 1/8" off, a little while back. Randall had brought him a new one.

And you can never be sure who can do this... I'm pretty sure there are a couple people ready to do this... Just working on the consistency.

Idk... Burkes hands are mighty big for closing that gripper. Once you're over that 9 inch or probably 10 in Burkes case, makes closing big grippers harder from a leverage standpoint. 8 inch or slightly smaller is probably the ideal size for grippers.

Well they might not be ideal, but the 3.5 he closed easily didn't seem to present a problem. This doesn't really say how I feel about the dude one way or the other, but if he is specifically training for it, he should be able to get it. I think the real question is whether or not he has the interest to devote the time to it. Strength is his job and there is no money in it. I don't really know if Rich Williams trains grippers or what not, but he would be another candidate for "in-the-realm-of-possibility".

Really its all just speculation though. We should start a pool. Pick an athlete, year, etc. I've got 10 bucks on no one before 2020.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

I guarantee you Mike Burke could do it if he wanted to. Its not even a question.

He probably could do it but there is a huge difference between 1/8th inch and ccs, especially at the No.4 level. Like you said its all speculation though, he may very well hit a wall or limit just before closing the 4.

Its really up to him to make the effort and try.

I think Holle could do it comfortably, because he closed a ghp 9 with 1.5 inch block easily. And no one on earth could repeat what Holle did with the level 9.

Holle to me is a level above everyone.

And he probably wants to give someone else the glory of being the first #4 ccs, since he is already on the 4 list. My bet is he has closed a new 4 ccs in private many times.

I would love to see someone ccs a #4.

Well they might not be ideal, but the 3.5 he closed easily didn't seem to present a problem. This doesn't really say how I feel about the dude one way or the other, but if he is specifically training for it, he should be able to get it. I think the real question is whether or not he has the interest to devote the time to it. Strength is his job and there is no money in it. I don't really know if Rich Williams trains grippers or what not, but he would be another candidate for "in-the-realm-of-possibility".

Really its all just speculation though. We should start a pool. Pick an athlete, year, etc. I've got 10 bucks on no one before 2020.

He injured his hand on his last #4 attempt and it wasn't close but in fairness it was due to injury. I think another issue is chasing big grip goals with grippers or bending injuries become a serious issue.

I'm sure Burke will finish this off this year. He was an 1/8" off, a little while back. Randall had brought him a new one..

A bit double standard there btw from ironmind. Paul Savage trained his ass off and was peaking in max strength some time ago. He was in for a serious attempt when he applied for the cert. His request was rejected because he didn't had any real CCS closes under his belt. And there they gave Burke the opportunity who to my knowledge also never CCS-ed a #4. Not implying anything, but just an observation. There are some serious contenders around. Let's keep it at that.

• Like 1

I'm sure Burke will finish this off this year. He was an 1/8" off, a little while back. Randall had brought him a new one..

A bit double standard there btw from ironmind. Paul Savage trained his ass off and was peaking in max strength some time ago. He was in for a serious attempt when he applied for the cert. His request was rejected because he didn't had any real CCS closes under his belt. And there they gave Burke the opportunity who to my knowledge also never CCS-ed a #4. Not implying anything, but just an observation. There are some serious contenders around. Let's keep it at that.
Burke was on the 3.5 list already.

I'm sure Burke will finish this off this year. He was an 1/8" off, a little while back. Randall had brought him a new one.

I highly doubt it was that close.

I'd love to watch a video on this and have to eat my words, but again, I highly doubt there is a video of this.

Yeah 1/8 was highly dubious, I saw the attempt where he got injured and I don't even think he got it to parallel. Ive been one of the ones rooting for Mr Savage, based on his dominance of 3.5s and such.... You just can't prove you can CCS 4 before you make an attempt. It's one of those lifts where you prepare for years, deload, then attempt. Powerlifters don't have to prove an 1100 DL until they make an official attempt - why should a 4 CCS, which is just as freaky, be any different. I'm not saying any guy off the street should be allowed to attempt, but someone who has, like Paul, proven himself to be one of the top gripper guys in the world.

I think it's time for Randall to step up and reach out to Paul and give him his chance.

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

Yeah 1/8 was highly dubious, I saw the attempt where he got injured and I don't even think he got it to parallel. Ive been one of the ones rooting for Mr Savage, based on his dominance of 3.5s and such.... You just can't prove you can CCS 4 before you make an attempt. It's one of those lifts where you prepare for years, deload, then attempt. Powerlifters don't have to prove an 1100 DL until they make an official attempt - why should a 4 CCS, which is just as freaky, be any different. I'm not saying any guy off the street should be allowed to attempt, but someone who has, like Paul, proven himself to be one of the top gripper guys in the world.

I think it's time for Randall to step up and reach out to Paul and give him his chance.

Actually...I happen to agree with Randall about this one. If you are about to cert. the 4...you are going to want to warm up. What better way to warm up than to cert the 3.5?

If you have even a CHANCE of certing the 4, a 3.5 CCS close isn't going to prevent you from getting your cert.

So...basically, sign up for an EPIC TRIPLE CERT. Paul calls in for the #4...but before his attempt on it...is required to cert the #3 (childsplay) and the #3.5 (warmup) first...then on to the main event.

Yes...this wouldn't be the "formal" procedure for IM, but exceptions for certs have been made a fair number of times...and all this really requires is for IM to send more than one gripper.

This isn't likely to become a commonplace thing...and Paul has a number of videos that verify that he's a contender for such a cert.

So by working it this way. Paul gets to peak as he wants, and IM gets a person who has proven themselves worthy.

However...it seems so obvious...and so easy to me...there is no chance Paul or IM will go for it.

• Like 1

I'd love to watch a video on this and have to eat my words, but again, I highly doubt there is a video of this.

That was coming from Randall, who was there watching.... It's not a big deal if anyone doesn't believe it. But, yeah... Wish they would tape this sort of stuff when they do it.

That was coming from Randall, who was there watching.... It's not a big deal if anyone doesn't believe it. But, yeah... Wish they would tape this sort of stuff when they do it.

Right...well Randall has gone on record of saying Magnus could have CCSd it at any time, yet the only video I see of him closing was with a monstrous possibly braced deepset...which isn't even in the same league as a CCS.

So...I doubt...highly.

• Like 1

Right...well Randall has gone on record of saying Magnus could have CCSd it at any time, yet the only video I see of him closing was with a monstrous possibly braced deepset...which isn't even in the same league as a CCS.

So...I doubt...highly.

It was a while back... A member here, or on David Horne's site: mentioned meeting Magnus and gave him his no.4 to try. I remember him saying he had no problem with it.

So...I doubt...highly.

It was a while back... A member here, or on David Horne's site: mentioned meeting Magnus and gave him his no.4 to try. I remember him saying he had no problem with it.

right...but no problem mms and no problem CCS are completely different beasts. Unfortunately all we have besides stories is an unconvincing video...

I totally agree with this. However, if Paul would easily cert the 3.5 I think it would go along way in giving credibility to his request, at least in IM's eyes.

• Like 1

A member here, or on David Horne's site: mentioned meeting Magnus and gave him his no.4 to try. I remember him saying he had no problem with it.

Maybe it was an easy 4 ;)

And in fairness to Magnus, its not really fair to just hand him a 4 and say close it and judge by that. Maybe a 3.5.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

A member here, or on David Horne's site: mentioned meeting Magnus and gave him his no.4 to try. I remember him saying he had no problem with it.

And in fairness to Magnus, its not really fair to just hand him a 4 and say close it and judge by that. Maybe a 3.5.

there's a whole list of easy no.4 closes out there... What's one more?

there's a whole list of easy no.4 closes out there... What's one more?

Easy #4...hard #4...enter the Mashmonsterladder! :grin:

In a while I will be starting the climb. In all honesty and maybe I am a bit of cheapskate, the fee for certing (which on it's own is very logic, don't get me wrong) and the shippingcosts make for an expensive cert, since I live in Europe. The honour and eternal glory however make up for that I hope.

About Paul Savage, I meant to reply Slazbob - and Nathan beat me to it in saying this - it indeed would be better to scrape off the #3.5 cert since he can pull that one off for sure. To be honest I still think he is the best contender for a #4 cert at this moment. It's not about who has the capability, it is about who uses it and steps up.

Geralt-

The MM ladder is a great thing... I hope to see you do well! As far as Paul certing the 3.5, that's up to him... Idk if he's the "leading candidate"... But very strong.

And about Randall doing him wrong in anyway... I think it was pretty clear he did the right thing. All Randall asks for is be "Able" to do it before asking for a cert. it's a nice thing to have a free gripper sent for you, and people taking time out to get it all done. You can't cash next week's check... You gotta have it first. :)

• Like 1