Excellent Bending Session Today. 1st In Imps.

Tim71

Had an outstanding bending session today. Especially considering I've never bent in ironmind pads and wasn't sure what to expect but now I've established where I'm at.

Warmed up ripping a phonebook and a deck of card then some pole barns and 60ds in leather...then I broke out the ironmind pads. First off, they are trickier to wrap good but I liked the feel of them. I've always done most of my bending with thin single leathers so it all carried over pretty good.

First, I hit a 1/4 inch by 7 inch piece of CRS and it went down surprisingly easy. Then I hit the 1/4 inch O-1 drill rod at 7, 6 and 5 inch lengths. Somewhere along the line I hit the G5 and G8 bolts then the real fun began. I found some 9/32 O-1 drill rod that cal'd at 355 pounds at 7 inches so I wasn't sure what to expect and I killed it. That gave me the go-ahead to hit some tough 1/4 inch square at 7 inches and I killed that as well. Next I hit my PR bend of the day. 5/16 inch O-1 drill rod and it was a long fight and certainly wasn't under 1 minute but maybe under 5 and I got it. Took it to 1.75 inches then used my leather pads to crush it to 1.5 because I didn't want to unwrap my IMPs again. Then I tried a red and got my butt handed to me. Everybody is saying these new reds are easier and that may be but it's also possible that they've gotten harder again. Those stripes are probably the feeding mechanism on the shearing machine that cuts the steel but then again I could've been tired after the drill rod fight. Anyway, I'm happy. Oh yeah, the last bend is a 1/4 inch square at 8 3/8 inches done in IMPs just to see how it felt. Kink was the toughest part as has been said.

Then I hit some braced bending. The pic shows a 3/8 by 8 inch bolt that I took to about 30 or 40 degrees then finished it unbraced. Threads are 3/8 but the body is slightly thinner. Then I hit an 80d for a warm-up then I tackled a 3/8 by 8 inch G5 so I could see if I could still bend them. I did but it was a nice fight. Then my pride and joy bend of the day. A 1/2 inch by 8 inch bolt. Got it to under 2 inches as well so I was crazy happy with that one.

I'm stoked.

post-8847-0-74245300-1393439463_thumb.jp

post-8847-0-18238300-1393439516_thumb.jp

Oh yeah, and I closed my super master for the first time.

• Like 1

A 1/2" bolt? Kriky! Nice session!

Sounds killer! Some vids would be cool to. Keep it up!

Dude common if you could bend a 8" 1/2" bolt and a 8" 3/8" bolt

a red would be your warm up....

Dont take me wrong man, Just understand i have bent bars that are 650ish

And i have bent a 8" 3/8" kinked and it was pretty tough..

Dude i apoligize i thought you was one of the new cats lol

I just realized your the dude that has bent 8" 3/8" unbraced on

The goldnail thread!!! So yea you dont need a video

I beleive you;)

In braced bending, a red nail would be a warm-up for me. Look at the post and you will see there are 2 different kinds of bends going on.

You can search "timshobbies" on youtube and there's some older vids of mine on there. I live in the country and our internet stinks which is why I don't do alot of videos. When I certified for David Horne's lists or FBBC I had to mail them DVDs to watch.

I'm not the guy who bends gold nails unbraced. I'm the guy who did the braced bending up until a few years ago. I guess "spike length" braced bends were my thing.

Thanks guys. Good to be back.

Really my bad dude, I was going by where you

said you bent a 8" 3/8ths to 40 degrees then

bent it unbraced. I get it killer bending man.

Dude i apoligize i thought you was one of the new cats lol I just realized your the dude that has bent 8" 3/8" unbraced on The goldnail thread!!! So yea you dont need a video I beleive you;)

This is the funniest turn in scenario))) Like in a movie)))

Dude i apoligize i thought you was one of the new cats lol I just realized your the dude that has bent 8" 3/8" unbraced on The goldnail thread!!! So yea you dont need a video I beleive you;)

This is the funniest turn in scenario))) Like in a movie)))

ha

Thanks. That 3/8 G2 bolt has a thinner body quite honestly. The threads are 3/8 inch but the body is probably more llke 11/32 or thereabouts. It's not a tough steel either - pretty much a crap bolt.

The 1/2 inch bolt is sorta like that as well although not to the degree. The threads are 1/2 inch but the body is probably more like 12mm. I don't have my caliper to say for sure but that would be pretty close. It's not the crappy metal that the 3/8 inch is either and it's a different brand.

No matter the brand thats impressive, i have a bunch of old carriage

bolts in 3/8in and 1/2 in some are 12in to 21in long, there a good bit

easier than todays bolts. Kinda fun to brace bend. I cut a few 3/8th ones

down to 8 no head or thread, Im gonna try it sometime i have no clue

what strengh it will be .

Thanks for the tip.

To answer your question, I start my braced bends both ways. Sometimes thigh kink and sometimes I can bend it from straight.

Nice to see old bender back @ it bro :rock