Is A 60d Impressive?

TylerA

Hey guys, I'm new here :-)

I am also new to bending. I started doing some sledgehammer exercises a month ago to strengthen my wrists and hands, and ordered a box of 60D's.

I didn't think there was a chance in hell that I could bend a 60D any time soon. But here is the result of my very first try:

post-23449-0-72014000-1388071388_thumb.j

I bend 3 more after this. I think I may have cheated though, because I braced my fists against my thigh for the initial kink. But even then I am surprised that I could do it. Maybe I got some really cheap nails? Tell me what you all think.

That is a impressive feat considering

Im the the only armed security guard of 8 that can do it

You should post a video so we can help more...

Need to see your technique.

That is a impressive feat considering

Im the the only armed security guard of 8 that can do it

You should post a video so we can help more...

Need to see your technique.

I will post a video soon. I am pretty convinced that either these nails are weak, or that my technique is cheaty. I'm sure someone can answer that for me once I have a video up.

What kind of wraps are you using first off?

Dish wrags. Haven't gotten around to getting leather yet.
listen bro im sure if you look back on the race to the rednail thread you will see that i made a simular

Mistake i highly suggest getting Ironmind pads on cannon powerworks.com

Or getting the right leather unless you want to cut your bending experience short....

• Like 1

60d nails (all nails and much of the steel you'll buy) are very inconsistent - I have some that are very easy and also ones that approach Grade5 difficulty. As said before - get good pads before you get a puncture or at the least a bad bruise to deal with. If you are having to brace on your leg - your start needs work so find something you can bend double overhand from start to finish and do the work to get into position until you don't have to brace any more. As long as you depend on the brace - you won't figure things out.

60d nails (all nails and much of the steel you'll buy) are very inconsistent - I have some that are very easy and also ones that approach Grade5 difficulty. As said before - get good pads before you get a puncture or at the least a bad bruise to deal with. If you are having to brace on your leg - your start needs work so find something you can bend double overhand from start to finish and do the work to get into position until you don't have to brace any more. As long as you depend on the brace - you won't figure things out.

What is a good step down from the 60D that still offers a good challenge? Something I could pick up at the local hardware store?

Dish wrags. Haven't gotten around to getting leather yet.
listen bro im sure if you look back on the race to the rednail thread you will see that i made a simular

Mistake i highly suggest getting Ironmind pads on cannon powerworks.com

Or getting the right leather unless you want to cut your bending experience short....

Thanks for the website, I just ordered a set.

• Like 1

Let us no if you need any help.. do you plan to bend the rednail someday?

If thats what you want to do start posting your progress on the race to the rednail thread

It helped me alot man.

Yes for a first bend ever that is good man.

Check out http://www.fatbastardbarbellco.com/BENDERSBAG.html

They have a wider variety of steel but I think the cheapest option is to get some CRS and cut your own sizes and file the edges. I got the advanced bag from fbbc earlier this year and its little pricey but it lasted me a long time and I still have some of the steel. Plus its a good variety of stuff to try out. It allowed me to work up to the bastard and the red nail.

Tyler,

Nice job. Back when Eric Milfeld used to calibrate steel, I sent a variety of 60d nails to him to see how many pounds it took for the various brands and batches. In short, I've got a couple dozen or more varieties of nails and they ranged from 210 pounds - which is very weak for a 60d all the way up to 480 pounds - which is a freak of nature 60d that's equal to a grade 8. Average is about 250 to 275ish. The Keystones were always some of the most consistent that I could ever find and they were almost always 305 to 330 depending on the batch. Sivacos from Canada are the ones that can go to freaky tough.

Just by looking at the bend radius on yours, I'd say it's fairly average but it's impossible to say for sure. Usually, the very tough ones have a sharper bend.

6 inch by 1/4 inch grade 5 bolts are a good jump up from a 60d.

Also, if you have a Fastenal nearby you, get some 1/4 inch drill rod and cut it to 6 inches to see where you are at. That was usually like a medium tough 60d if I remember right.