Carryover Between Wrist Developer And Reverse Bending

hellswindstaff

I think the WD is good for strength building, prehab, etc. but to get good at reverse bending you need to bend. There's a slightly different feel to the hit and then the feeling of the slow bend with steel. It's the long hits that bend.

• Like 2

The Wd is much longer than any steel you'll bend reverse. so, feel and technique will be different. I had mostly quit bending by the time I started working the WD. However, after using the WD the year it was in WSH I hit an 8# front sledge lever for the first time. and it was easy. so, it will definetly build stength, you just have to dial in technique to apply that strength.

• Like 1

Bending & sledgehammer leveraging are the best wrist developer's imo! I'd tried the WD reverse & it is an awesome piece of equipment however nothing takes the place of bending steel & static holds with the sledge!

As folks have mentioned, the WD is no replacement for bending steel. However, to simulate the initial hit better you can move up to a harder level than what you can fully bend to the limit on the WD. When I'm training the WD a lot, I will warm up with full ROM bends and then work up to harder shorter ROM bends. Another thing that I found was important was doing pronation & supination work with a sledge hammer to help condition the wrist well as an assistance exercise.

I like the very first version of the WD from 2007. It had a very tough start/kink, so it simulated a normal bend much better than the today's version do. For me it had a very good carryover to reverse bending. The WD1 and WD2 have a much softer start and is only really hard at the finish, where it's more about upper body strength rather than wrist strength. Personally my upper body is to weak to really tax my wrists with the WD2, which is a bit of a bummer. It's still a very good piece of equipment, it's just that I think the first version was better.

Edited by David_wigren

Bending & sledgehammer leveraging are the best wrist developer's imo! I'd tried the WD reverse & it is an awesome piece of equipment however nothing takes the place of bending steel & static holds with the sledge!

I agree 100%. The WD is very good but nothing takes the place of actual bending and sledge work.