32" Rebar Braced Bend.

Josh O'Dell

Well the guys at work are always joking with me about bending rebar, so tonight i had the guys

in the shop cut me a peice and i worked it down. It was springy as shit, Anyway thought i would

share my story. Here it is:

post-23284-0-94633400-1383270076_thumb.j

I tore my pec on rebar 2 years ago. Be careful with that springy stuff.. Upper body strength has been limited since and still can't DO bend anything harder than 60d

I tore my pec on rebar 2 years ago. Be careful with that springy stuff.. Upper body strength has been limited since and still can't DO bend anything harder than 60d

Yea i knew the risk its the last and only rebar bend i am doing.

Thats the plan lol

I use rebars to train unbraced bending and have seen no problems in it. 12-20cm x 6mm rebars are cheap and easy substitute for ironmind yellow and blue nails. Perhaps little tougher even.

Or is there some hidden danger in that?

I dunno man. Rebar is extremely springy and at the same time brittle. There is a very decent chance it will snap. If you have that near your neck, it won't matter whether its easier or harder than a yellow nail.

Here's what my hand looked liked with after a brush with some steel. Enjoy.

wound_zpsd4c3b254.jpg

I dunno man. Rebar is extremely springy and at the same time brittle. There is a very decent chance it will snap. If you have that near your neck, it won't matter whether its easier or harder than a yellow nail. Here's what my hand looked liked with after a brush with some steel. Enjoy.wound_zpsd4c3b254.jpg

Just during that one bend i decided i would never bend rebar again

its way to springy. I about snapped myself a few times and i would never suggesr

unbraced! Unless you want your neck looking like

mikes hand.

I use rebars to train unbraced bending and have seen no problems in it. 12-20cm x 6mm rebars are cheap and easy substitute for ironmind yellow and blue nails. Perhaps little tougher even.

the springy nature of rebar caused my pec tear... it was a complete rupture of the tendon... i had a 24" long 1/2" piece bent to 90 and i was trying to crush it down between the thighs and after several max effort hits, the springback was too much for the tendon to handle and it snapped.. not cool... i had to have surgery, missed 7 weeks of work, six months away from lifing, and spent a year just trying to work up to 30 pushups... to this day i still don't have much strength for benchpress (probably around 200) and am too scared to go max effort... i used to push 315 with no problem

Oh man, that stuff is fun. But as everyone says, yeah, rebar is risky stuff.

Braced bending and scrolling is so fun though! I love doing it, but unfortunately haven't in quite awhile because, if you're going to use some good steel for it, it's a damn expensive hobby. And I always had problems with tendon recovery. A good bending session would take me out for a week.

Yea cheap or free im not (bad word filter)ing with it anymore

Have you tried horseshoes Josh? Very humbling!

No but i plan on trying, It looks fun. Im realy getting into all types of bending i realy enjoy it, is there a type i could get from the local amish? Like old ones ?

No but i plan on trying, It looks fun. Im realy getting into all types of bending i realy enjoy it, is there a type i could get from the local amish? Like old ones ?

Best bet is at a tack shop or ferrier.... If you're in an area with horses, there will be one.

Thanks, is there a certain type i should start with?

Horseshoes are by far the most technical type of bending. You are strong enough to start with some Polo 1's & 2's.

There is a ton of information on BB, including places you can order from, but investing in Hammering Horseshoes from Mike & Jedd is pretty much a prerequisite for making any type of progress.

Horseshoes are by far the most technical type of bending. You are strong enough to start with some Polo 1's & 2's.

There is a ton of information on BB, including places you can order from, but investing in Hammering Horseshoes from Mike & Jedd is pretty much a prerequisite for making any type of progress.

Thanks mike i will be looking into it, Cant wait to give it a try

I dunno man. Rebar is extremely springy and at the same time brittle. There is a very decent chance it will snap. If you have that near your neck, it won't matter whether its easier or harder than a yellow nail.

Here's what my hand looked liked with after a brush with some steel. Enjoy.

wound_zpsd4c3b254.jpg

the springy nature of rebar caused my pec tear... it was a complete rupture of the tendon... i had a 24" long 1/2" piece bent to 90 and i was trying to crush it down between the thighs and after several max effort hits, the springback was too much for the tendon to handle and it snapped.. not cool... i had to have surgery, missed 7 weeks of work, six months away from lifing, and spent a year just trying to work up to 30 pushups... to this day i still don't have much strength for benchpress (probably around 200) and am too scared to go max effort... i used to push 315 with no problem

I meant to say that feeling in short rebars was quite same as in ironmind nails so i have used it as a cheap substitute. I usually train in reverse style so no danger to neck, but that hand looks bad.

I guess i have learned something new, again.....