Skillet Question

climber511

One of the items on my 70 by 70 list is to roll a skillet. I bought one at Odd Lots a while back but it was like doing tin foil so I won't count it. I recently bought a 10" "Mainstays" skillet. For those of you who have done skillets - would this one be considered acceptable? The only T fals I found were expensive at heck - like $20. Too much for me.

• Like 1

I've only done used pans. The one was a big Lagostina and was tough as hell. Felt like my bones were bending.

Be careful not to bend to many pans and skillets. The teflon contains alot of flourated carbonchains that might get released when you bend the pan. I don't know if bending the pan generates enough energy to release them in their gasform, but why risk it? It's very poisonous and will pretty much stay in your system forever if you breathe it in. I've heard about tests where dry cooking a teflon pan can be enough to kill small birds and animals kept in the same room.

• Like 1

Be careful not to bend to many pans and skillets. The teflon contains alot of flourated carbonchains that might get released when you bend the pan. I don't know if bending the pan generates enough energy to release them in their gasform, but why risk it? It's very poisonous and will pretty much stay in your system forever if you breathe it in. I've heard about tests where dry cooking a teflon pan can be enough to kill small birds and animals kept in the same room.

Thanks David but I have only bent two now. One of the items on my 70 things to to before my 70th birthday list is to roll a skillet. I bought one at Odd Lots but it was too easy. I wanted to roll one that people would consider as legit. That was really the question - which skillets are considered legit bends. I want to get a T Fal one now as I'm hearing it is what people are doing - then I don't feel any need to do any more skillets - they cost too darn much!

• Like 1

Thanks David but I have only bent two now. One of the items on my 70 things to to before my 70th birthday list is to roll a skillet. I bought one at Odd Lots but it was too easy. I wanted to roll one that people would consider as legit. That was really the question - which skillets are considered legit bends. I want to get a T Fal one now as I'm hearing it is what people are doing - then I don't feel any need to do any more skillets - they cost too darn much!

I'll bring a T-FAL to Seneca for you

I'm pretty sure you have to heat it over 550 for it to gas off.

I'll bring a T-FAL to Seneca for you

Thanks!!!

I'm pretty sure you have to heat it over 550 for it to gas off.

I think you're right. But I'd still try and avoid rolling to many pans. They were not designed to be bent or rolled up and we don't know if bending the pans will release them or not. Those flourated carbochains are short and don't need 550 degrees Fahrenheit to stay in gas form, once free they are gaseous in room temperature. They need 550 degrees to be released from the pan. I know that people who work on waxing ski's in poor ventilated areas are exposed to similar compounds.

Edited by David_wigren
  • Like 1

One of the items on my 70 by 70 list is to roll a skillet. I bought one at Odd Lots a while back but it was like doing tin foil so I won't count it. I recently bought a 10" "Mainstays" skillet. For those of you who have done skillets - would this one be considered acceptable? The only T fals I found were expensive at heck - like $20. Too much for me.

Good work Chris! I hear what you're saying about the cheaper skillets. I have bent a lot of skillets over the years. A lot of new ones and used too. T-Fal is definitely about as "legit" as it gets, in my opinion. I have bent a Mainstay and those are also what I would consider legit. A few weeks ago I found a $7 skillet at a discount store in Mesa and bent that (along with 3 different brand cheapies) and it was pretty hard. And that was the first skillet I had bent in a looooooooooooooong time. Also bent some wrenches with a diaper pad as the padding...but that's another story. :grin: So price is not the best indicator of how hard they're going to be. It is a decent indicator usually, but not THE only thing to consider of course. Some super cheap brands have a "bent ridge" on the perimeter of the skillet and are mega hard to bend. They do more of a pancake-type bend where there is not really any rolling going on. More like folding it over on itself. Those also tend to really beat up the hands, so be careful and avoid those at all costs. Especially if you're doing "shows" - even if it's for a small group and you don't especially care if you "fail" to bend something in front of people.