Local Builders Merchants Only Sell Rebar ?

Jones1874

Im new steel bending so im still unaware with the differences in strength from one type of steel to another. i phoned my local builders supplies and they said they only stock rebar. being brand new to the game, this means nothing to me. im looking for some advice on what to start off with. i have no idea which length or diameter to get. any help would be much appreciated.

thanks.

For unbraced go get some hot roll and cold roll steel. 3' lengths can be easily found at Rona's, Hime Depot's, etc. and longer lengths at welding or fab shops. Consider FBBC for a beginners bag which will give you a good selection and help you figure out what you need.

For braced get hit roll from a welding, fab shop or steel supplier.

Alex lives in Wales - so I don't know what kind of stores are over there. You need to find a steel retailer who carries a range of steel bars etc. Start with Google - the phone book - talk to someone who welds about where they buy theirs etc. You aren't going to find that we North Americans are very helpful probably - we have different stores here than you do I imagine.

No on the rebar dude. Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace, most hardware stores have a very small metals section with sheet metal, and rods of various steels. 1/4"and 5/16" are always on hand. Also a welding shop might have stuff in bulk. I've found stuff at these shops as well. Keep looking, you'll find the right stuff.

Edit: so you live in wales. Go to your local big chain hardware stores. If you can't find stuff therethen call or visit welding shops. If they don't have it they will tell you where to go. We also have Fastenal out here. They deal with bolts, well fasteners, and they can get any type of rod for you. I get stainless and incremental O-1 drill rod from them. You have to have a fastener specialty chain there as well.

Edited by daniel reinard

ok ill leave the rebar alone. ill just have to mess around with my wrist developer until i find something. its always hard to find materials down here. and if you do find them, their expensive.

i tore my pec bending rebar back in august 2011.. it was a short 2ft piece i was bending braced.. the thing is that rebar has a certain amount of spring to it.. so if you hit it hard for 2-5 seconds and feel it give.. it sometimes doesn't bend but will spring back to where it was before that hit.. the springiness is what i think contributed to my injury

Well, ive just been phoning around this morning and i found a steel stockholders that sells 'ENIA bright mild steel'. is this stuff gonna be any good? he did recommend black mild steel aswell, but that sounded too soft from what he was saying. i just remembered that i completely forgot to ask about hot rolled steel..

he said it would cost around £11.50 for 3 meters of 1/4" bright mild steel

i just wanna get pick some up. can please let me know what i should go for.

cheers.

EDIT: just rang up again to find out about hot rolled steel, and apparently thats what the black mild steel is.

can anyone recommend a stock to start out with? someone said in a previous post that 3/16 and 1/4 is a good place to start? if someone can confirm this or suggest something else that would be great

thanks.

Edited by alexjones234