Easiest/cheapest Way To Cut Heads Off Nails.

GotAGrip

I wondered what the cheapest device was for cutting nail tips and heads off... I don't have much cash and need a cheap method - are there some certain pliers or something which would go through 6-7 inch nails?

Bolt Cutters

• Like 1

Bolt Cutters

Do you have an amazon model to base it off? I know they come in various sizes/prices. What do you use to smooth out the edges?

Bolt Cutters

Do you have an amazon model to base it off? I know they come in various sizes/prices. What do you use to smooth out the edges?

That's a good point, I don't wanna end up making the nails sharper than what they started at lol.

A grinder. Bench or angle.

• Like 1

Why do you want to cut them off? I've bent a few nails and bolts and I've never cut them. I have cut down long rods of steel and for that I use a cheap pair of bolt cutters ($25) and then I use a file to smooth out the edges. Bolt cutters will still leave sharp edges on the nail so you will need a file.

Edited by SeanC

sometimes no haha. i've actually bent a spiral 60D nail barehanded. this is not necessarily recommended. ;)

i bend almost totally in cordura. 85% IMP's, and a little bit in the Bender's Battlefield wraps, which are thicker cordura. personally i prefer these over leathers. i mean, it honestly depends on your goals. if you want to cert the Red, bend entirely in IMP's and only 7" stock. IMP's will give you an absolute baseline of where you are with your bending. leathers are nice for doubles when you add them to IMP's.

a common mistake most of us have made is jumping around in wraps, so when you can't bend bar you just go to bigger wraps. unless you are titanic already, this generally doesn't work. i credit EJ Livesey with finally setting me straight on this matter. but like I said it depends on your goals.

Yeah, I only use IM pads or wraps as I would call them, and only singles. But I meant for the question to be directed at GetAGrip. LOL. He wants to cut off the end of nails and I was wondering if it was a comfort problem due to his wrapping material. I feel the same way as you though about the single set of IM pads.

I don't cut the heads off but for cutting stock I'll use 18" bolt cutters and clean them up with a bastard file.

• Like 1

But I meant for the question to be directed at GetAGrip. LOL.

Whoops :whacked

haha

hey good info though bro.. you're on the money

I use two little strips of leather for wrapping but I am useless at wrapping and go through a lot of nails sometimes. I do some easy bends with lots of nails to work on technique and want to keep my wraps in a position where I can just push a new nail in, ready for quick bending. The head prevents this.

I use a reverse grip for bending 60D nails and it presses pretty hard into the part between my thumb and forefinger and I think this will prevent me from getting past a 60D nail. I know I have the strength to go beyond, because I have done a few drop forged spanners and stuff. The small, tough items have less surface area and feel like they do damage here.

I don't cut the heads off but for cutting stock I'll use 18" bolt cutters and clean them up with a bastard file.

I feel like a freaking Idiot right now! I really don't have access to anything to smooth out the nail after I cut them with my bolt cutter and have been racking my brain on a cheap method to do this. I even own a damn bastard file I would use to file down my grippers and am kicking myself that I didn't even think to use this to file down the nails. Thanks Shoggoth!!!!