Cheapest Place To Buy Steel In Uk?

Jones1874

looking for a decent UK based website so i can pick up some easy bars. someone recommended i get some 3/16 or 1/4 stock to start off with.

ive been on pullum-sports, which is the UK site that sells ironmind products, and the Ironmind bag of nails costs £125.75, which is about $198 .. is this company having a laugh? whos gonna pay all that for a couple of nails..

their only $79.95 on ironminds site..

if anyone knows somewhere cheaper, please let me know.

Thanks.

Do they have hardware stores in the UK? They are abundant over here in the states and usually have a small selection of bar stock in 3' to 6' lengths.

thanks for the link ! how do i actually check out though?

Do they have hardware stores in the UK? They are abundant over here in the states and usually have a small selection of bar stock in 3' to 6' lengths.

we have builders merchants, i dont know what they stock though. i rang up earlier and he said he didnt have what i was asking for. he said to go up and have a look at what they do have. he told me the name, but ive got completely blank...

that beginners bag looks pretty good though. seems like a good place to start.

EDIT: no worries about how to pay. just worked it out :)

Cheers.

Edited by alexjones234
  • Like 1

Is there a store based in the UK?

I hate waiting for shipping, I am an impatient bender o_O

Not that i know of. i just e-mailed FBBC for a shipping quote. i dont know how long theyl take to get back to me, but ill let you know how much it will cost roughly.

• Like 1

Is there a store based in the UK?

I hate waiting for shipping, I am an impatient bender o_O

Not that i know of. i just e-mailed FBBC for a shipping quote. i dont know how long theyl take to get back to me, but ill let you know how much it will cost roughly.

Where abouts in UK are you? Im in Hertfordshire.

south wales. i wouldnt have thought thered be much difference in the cost from shipping to either england or wales though.

south wales. i wouldnt have thought thered be much difference in the cost from shipping to either england or wales though.

Naw, I just wondered if you were local to me or not lol :)

Alex

It's cheaper to buy steel from a steel stockists if you are just getting into bending? you can learn technique and gain strength before you try your hand on certified bars...I went to B&Q and nearly hit the floor at the prices! find a metal supermarket near you, i was quoted 12mm bar for just 1.50 a metre plus Vat...B&Q 11 something? for a metre bar!

http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/msc-storefinder.aspx

Alex

It's cheaper to buy steel from a steel stockists if you are just getting into bending? you can learn technique and gain strength before you try your hand on certified bars...I went to B&Q and nearly hit the floor at the prices! find a metal supermarket near you, i was quoted 12mm bar for just 1.50 a metre plus Vat...B&Q 11 something? for a metre bar!

http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/msc-storefinder.aspx

ye i know mate, prices are steep down here. where did you end up getting yours from? ill have to ask about, im not optimistic though. the last steel stockholders i went to charged me about £25 for making my own loading pin! i could have bought one for a couple more £.

im gonna have to stick with the wrist developer for now and see how it goes. its probably a better option for now, i need to condition my wrists a bit more anyway. at the minute ive been using a power twister rated at 40kg. its good for some isometric training but you've got to get some steel if you want to do the real thing.

Not to spam, just wanted to post in this thread since the title of my last one about 'rebar' might go un noticed ..

but ive been phoning around this morning and i found a steel stockholders that sells 'ENIA bright mild steel'. is this stuff gonna be any good? he did recommend black mild steel aswell, which is hot rolled steel apparently..

he said it would cost around £11.50 for 3 meters of 1/4" - Ive never bought steel before so i dont know if thats any good.

i just wanna buy some steel and start bending.. can please let me know what i should go for.

thanks in advance.

Edited by alexjones234

Alex did you check the link i posted to see if there is a Metal supermarket near you? i got 4m of 6mm bright and he quoted a fiver, i then got 6m of black as well and got charged a tenner for the lot !

One important thing to remember is the 6mm bright (cold rolled) in no way compares to IM blues/yellows etc, they are true 1/4"

and better steel...but taping different diameters together as you progress will help a lot.

Alex before you get some steel, why not get some 5 and 6" nails and test your strength, nails vary enormously but will give you a taste of what's to come...if you can bend a 6" nail, cut 1/4 inch off another and bend that...work your way down to 4 or shorter if you can? bending short steel builds endurance and mental toughness, it also looks cool to friends because people can relate to nails, bolts, etc as a feat of strength

Screwfix is probably best for nails if you have one near you?...If you can't bend a nail then the 1/4 hot rolled is the bar you need to start out with, again working down in increments

• Like 1

Alex did you check the link i posted to see if there is a Metal supermarket near you? i got 4m of 6mm bright and he quoted a fiver, i then got 6m of black as well and got charged a tenner for the lot !

One important thing to remember is the 6mm bright (cold rolled) in no way compares to IM blues/yellows etc, they are true 1/4"

and better steel...but taping different diameters together as you progress will help a lot.

Alex before you get some steel, why not get some 5 and 6" nails and test your strength, nails vary enormously but will give you a taste of what's to come...if you can bend a 6" nail, cut 1/4 inch off another and bend that...work your way down to 4 or shorter if you can? bending short steel builds endurance and mental toughness, it also looks cool to friends because people can relate to nails, bolts, etc as a feat of strength

Screwfix is probably best for nails if you have one near you?...If you can't bend a nail then the 1/4 hot rolled is the bar you need to start out with, again working down in increments

ye i checked it out. nearest place is in england so i didnt message them. wouldnt have thought theyd deliver a few bits of steel that far.

i found a website for a place not too far away, but i cant work out what to get or if they stock the stuff im after. im hopeless when it comes to choosing the right mm or diameter etc. would you mind having a quick look at this link for me please and let me know if i should pick up something from them?

thanks

http://www.ellissteelgroup.co.uk/

I second the nails - they are fine for starting out.

I originally used some shiny 6" nails (I understand that shiny ones are tougher than dull ones) but then found some 5" ones which were the same thickness and they are evil. The leverage disadvantage really makes a big difference. I am working on bending two of them together right now, I will be a very pleased man when I manage that.

Alex a yes on the nails...website is vague, they probably do a lot more than stated. Ring and ask if they do 3/4/5 mm bright steel...these would be progression bars later on that would lead to bending bigger steel, it's not an exact science because of variance in strength from one batch to another.

Let's say you can bend a 6" nail off the bat, 6mm bright shouldn't pose a problem, so then it's progress through cutting off pieces till not practical anymore, or adding smaller diameter steel to your 6mm to increase difficulty but at a longer length.

Bending short lengths underhand carries over to your grip i found, but maybe that was just me, also scrolling a metre bar in your hands for endurance when you get into it.

Try a nail Alex...you will know better on what course to take?

Alex a yes on the nails...website is vague, they probably do a lot more than stated. Ring and ask if they do 3/4/5 mm bright steel...these would be progression bars later on that would lead to bending bigger steel, it's not an exact science because of variance in strength from one batch to another.

Let's say you can bend a 6" nail off the bat, 6mm bright shouldn't pose a problem, so then it's progress through cutting off pieces till not practical anymore, or adding smaller diameter steel to your 6mm to increase difficulty but at a longer length.

Bending short lengths underhand carries over to your grip i found, but maybe that was just me, also scrolling a metre bar in your hands for endurance when you get into it.

Try a nail Alex...you will know better on what course to take?

cheers for the reply. ye ill start off with the nails. i suppose its fine for beginners, plus its cheaper and alot let hassle to get hold of. like GotAGrip, i could always tape more nails together as i progress. ill check for the 3/4/5 mm bright steel tomorrow, price it up and go from there.