Is The Wrist Developer Harsher On The Wrists Than Bending?

Jones1874

Just wondering if David Hornes Wrist Developer can be harsher on the wrists than actually bending steel due to its mechanics? even using it on a low level it feels harsher on my wrists compared to using a power twister for max efforts doing isometrics.

Does it put your wrist in an uncompromising position? this is why i havent used much of it in the past. might just be my technique though, which definately needs work. that, or i just aint use to that feeling in the wrists.

Edited by alexjones234

Just wondering if David Hornes Wrist Developer can be harsher on the wrists than actually bending steel due to its mechanics? even using it on a low level it feels harsher on my wrists compared to using a power twister for max efforts doing isometrics.

Does it put your wrist in an uncompromising position? this is why i havent used much of it in the past. might just be my technique though, which definately needs work. that, or i just aint use to that feeling in the wrists.

I don't know if it's harsher. If you are using the "harder" spring, it might behoove you to get the "easier" spring to use as a warm-up or to acclimate your wrists to the device.

I don't find that it puts my wrists into an uncompromising position. However, I do find that I need to carefully place it in my weekly workout, because I'm generally too shot to get much use out of it.

i know its meant for reverse bending, but is it ok for double underhand aswell? my wrists feel a bit creeky in both positions to be honest. i have the white spring and the orange spring. even the white spring on the lowest level seems a bit awkward because im not 100% positive which way i should be placing my hands. i think ill have to warm up with some rubber bands first and then go from there. its either my wrist positioning or im just as week as they come..

Edited by alexjones234

I use mine twice a week reverse style. One of my favorite tools, I love the thing. I'm usually picking a working resistance of 3-5 reps only maxing out once a month. Save the harder work for steel itself. Then again right now my reverse is my strongest style.

I saw a youtube review on it and the guy said he preferred to use the wrist developer with rubber bands and more for rehab and high volume work for the reason you describe. If you get a bag of rubberbands you could use those instead of the spring to work more high volume and use it as a tool to help your wrists feel better between bending sessions.

I use mine twice a week reverse style. One of my favorite tools, I love the thing. I'm usually picking a working resistance of 3-5 reps only maxing out once a month. Save the harder work for steel itself. Then again right now my reverse is my strongest style.

reverse is a style i think its gonna take my a while to warm to, i just dont like the feel of it at all right now. as for picking up steel, although i want to get some, i think its probably worth me spending more time working with the wrist developer and getting the feel for bending first. if bending is anything like finger lifts, then its probably painful in a way that at first you cant tell if its a good pain or a bad pain. what i mean is, its not like training your muscle and the result is a nice pump / burn .. in this case its always painful from what ive gathered, if that makes sense.

I saw a youtube review on it and the guy said he preferred to use the wrist developer with rubber bands and more for rehab and high volume work for the reason you describe. If you get a bag of rubberbands you could use those instead of the spring to work more high volume and use it as a tool to help your wrists feel better between bending sessions.

i saw that video awhile back. im watching it again now as it goes, just to see how he trains with it. thanks for mentioning that.

as it stands, ill probably work with the wrist developer for awhile, embrace the pain and avoid injury (if i can) and ill report back in a few weeks or a month or two. it will give me time to get use to the device and prep my wrists for bending steel.

I'm not sure if I just haven't gotten the feel for mine or what, but I've been doing mostly higher rep stuff and after a few times using it my elbow started bothering me. Probably too much volume to be honest so I've put it away for awhile and I'm going to ease back into it. It didn't feel any more harsh on the wrists than bending does for me though, maybe less.

I'm not sure if I just haven't gotten the feel for mine or what, but I've been doing mostly higher rep stuff and after a few times using it my elbow started bothering me. Probably too much volume to be honest so I've put it away for awhile and I'm going to ease back into it. It didn't feel any more harsh on the wrists than bending does for me though, maybe less.

thanks for the feedback. i think ill stick to the higher rep stuff aswell if i do end up using it. saying that, ill probably carry on using the power twister to further condition my wrists. i really like the feel of it and its definately been helping. ive noticed two new creases on the pinky side of my wrists, which i put down to gaining strength in the area. looksgoodman.

another thing with the wrist developer.. the pain may come from the fact it forces you to bend with the mechanics of the tool, rather than through your natural ROM. just like the Vulcan vs Torsion spring grippers. the Torsion grippers dont close in a straight line when you shut them, they allow you to go through more of a natural motion.

Personally I feel it's the other way around. Strict reverse bending with wraps touching is much harder on the wrists than the wrist developer. With the wrist developer the first 20 degrees are relatively easy and after that it becomes more of a "push and pull" kind of thing. But I still like the wrist developer for building strength through volume work. And for me, when my WD is strong my reverse bending is strong, and vice versa.

• Like 1

Personally I feel it's the other way around. Strict reverse bending with wraps touching is much harder on the wrists than the wrist developer. With the wrist developer the first 20 degrees are relatively easy and after that it becomes more of a "push and pull" kind of thing. But I still like the wrist developer for building strength through volume work. And for me, when my WD is strong my reverse bending is strong, and vice versa.

David I am wondering if you feel the WD is really the same movement as a reverse bend? I always felt the WD was more of a linear motion, where I feel bending the steel actually involves non-linear torque. Does this have to do with the style of reverse?

WD is easier on the wrists. Reason is it is tough to get in an ISO hit with it. That's what kills the wrists imo, frozen steel and giving it a long ISO hit.

Now the WD does bother the elbows alot in most people, especially noobs to it. I would work it more if it didn't kill my elbows.

Personally I've never had (as far as I can remember) wrist pain from either reverse bending or the WD. I'll feel it in my elbows or biceps.