Reverse Bend Off-center

Tex

Did my first bending workout today. Did reverse in a single IMP on two whites and then felt macho and went for a green. (I'm fully aware that's not very macho compared to some of the amazing bends I've seen on here.)

The first and last bend came out off center, and the second one seemed to come out pretty even. I've heard people giving advice about gripping off center so the nail kinks in the center. I was hoping someone could give me a little more detail on that.

First, second, and third nail.

1stnailbend.jpg

Yeah, just grab off center. Take note on how it comes off center on a bend and adjust for that. I sometimes bend closer to the front hand so I put that wrap deeper on the bar and grab it there, then it kinks on center.

Good stuff bro. Keep at at. Reverse is really fun.

I always centre my wraps and grip but flip the bar after the first hit.

• Like 1

I'd say just different lol! One thing with doing the flip is you can create some bend off to the edge of the initial kink making your successive hit a tad easier.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll work on my wrapping skills so I can get both pads on there and get a better idea of which side its kinking toward. I know I switched my anchor/driver halfway through the second bend. Can't remember whether or not I did that on the first, but definitely didn't do it on the last bend.

I tried DO at first and didn't get a kink in, but from what I understand its very technical, so I'll be reading over that section in the bending ebook again.

Reverse was tons of fun though. I can see why you guys all get the bending bug.

Wow - I've never realized I've been bending off center. I always thought if it was 1/2" either way it was good enough.

Jason has some awesome reverse bending youtube videos. If you haven't already, check out his training log.

These guys are better than me... but I don't put the wraps in the same place on each side. For the post hand I wrap at 2.5-2.75" in and for the driver at 2.25" ... also different steel kinks differently. I found 0-1 Drill Rod will kink directly over my wrap if its a 7" piece.

If you wanna be a bad ass or just get a better feel for it, put the wraps touching in the middle :D

Here's Jason hurting steel:

Thanks for posting those videos guys. I think I may have been making a few mistakes on my form. I'll have to try to record my bends next time to see what I'm actually doing at the time.

• Like 2