Believe It Or Not?

Gripper42004

I'm suprised Tommy mentions anything he does when most of what he writes is met with open derision!

After his repping of the #3, i would think he deserves

people cutting him a little slack in the run up to the

competition, and hope his injury heals sufficiently to show

the big boys how it's done!

My money is on him putting up a more than creditable

performance,and a lot of you guys coming away with

a totally different opinion of him other than the persona

he's created for himself on the board.

Even with his shoulder recovering, you won't have to worry about Tommy's crush. Even if he misses the #4 you will see him rep #3's with ease. I have watched him slam my #3 shut and then mention it was a little tougher than his. I hope more gripaholics get to meet him. You'd get a kick out of his home it's like a grip meuseum, there are bent bars, nails, blobs, hammers, bricks, torn decks, etc. everywhere. :cool

I think we all can come across differently on the board than in person - it's just one of the perils of the net. Not something I try to worry about....

Tom, I myself train with a fixed 2 3/8'' handle. It is clipped directly to a 12'' loading pin, and I lift from the front. I have so far only had 4 sessions with it and my best has been 375. No doubt some could lift far more than that. What has helped me to lift that kind of weight with that handle and also with an iron ring, is heavy suitcase style deadlifts.

Goerner...Think about it guys....Super strong hands, using a locked hook grip, great deadlift and torso strength,in his prime,using both legs and most of his back,other hand allowed on leg for added stability and push. Yeah, I think he was easily capable.Also this was a thing he TRAINED at. When my deadlift was at about 700 I did a 500 one arm impromptu deadlift the first workout I tried it.Sooooo look at the man Goerner again before you say "no" so quickly.RS

Mac,

Mikesell is a good thought....

But the modern prototype for the one arm ldeadlift would have to be 2XWSM Yuoko Ahola?

Great back,great deadlifter,great grip,at 6'1"not exceptionally tall.Long arms/short Torso means at the top of his pull it isn't going to be banging into his quads.If you watch the films of his silver dollar lifts?The end of his lift is not much above his knees.I think this would make the pull a little easier....????

The prototype body and athlete fro the lift?-thick abs-crazy thick erectors and traps- ?Still yuong enough to 'comeback'and do it(strongman)again...although some say he's done?and others say he is in training an WILL come back...

I think with a little specialization?he'd get it?

Though....When we do our Rolling Thunder,Eagle loops deads,pinches, 'ring' lifts,thick handle dumbell lifts we don't stabilize or push off the thigh with the opposite hand...Josh's rules..he feels it's cheating ;):D (just amongst ourselves....we have to hang -hold on-from the 2.5x2.5"steelbar square bar at the top of the power cage when 'it 'happens- or have to take a hands behind our back body punch :cry )

Mobster,

Crazy lift.Absolutely sick poundage dude.

Old guy,

VERY Good lift.Getting close to the freak zone? :whistel

As with many of the lifts of today, sometimes when we use the same name for the lift, we assume that the

performance of the lift has remained the same.

In England, a one hand deadlift did not require an erect

torso. Does anyone know the rule for Germany in Goerner's day? Perhaps it was less high than we may be thinking?

The straddling the bar method seems to suit me very well and I'd fancy my chances at getting well over 400 on a normal diameter bar. However, as Joe says, that'd mean only bringing the bar as high as my groin - I love grip work but it ain't going any higher for no one! Ya hear what Mobster is saying!! I fell confident I can get the aforementioned 300 pounds on the 2" thick bar - oh yes!! I've got 16 weeks to bring it up - come to poppa!

From my own experiments straddling does indeed seem to be the strongest position - however, obviously you can only lift the bar so high....which is why someone with a body structure like Lamar Gant or (as Tom says) Jouko Ahola might do VERY well with this style.

I hope Ahola does come back - he was very quick but also exceptionally good at the very heavy events....

Mac,

Just useing 1stCoC 'impromptu'formula i.e.was deadlifting 700 and then did a 500 one arm?

Ahola was reputed to be a 900 deadlifter (and Ahola has plenty of grip and torso strength!!)so would that 'possibly' compute into a impromptu 642#? :cry And with his long arm,short torso structure he's not going to become a soprano-to get a full lift?

Perhaps he'd be able do lift it out to the side?his very narow stance would allow that ALSO.... :rolleyes all in fun..just hypothetical..but more reason to believe perhaps Goerner had done it.

Yes Ahola had it all speed,grip,good at the unusual events and could squat and deadlift!!!!..... :bow:bow

I was at Strongest Man Alive 1998,just out of high school and just mesmerized by everything and everybody-it was like a trip to the gorilla cage at the zoo :ohmy - but i remember Aholas deadlift CLINIC- watched him rep out-to the best of my memory-15 reps on the partial deadlifts while others,strained and gutted out,red faced,eyes popping out -3 -4 -5-6? reps and some got 0........it was so ez and he could have got more but had already more than doubled the reps second place........? :rock:rock Thats what got me obsessed with 18 inch deads.(recently handed my lunch though :yikes )

but more reason to believe perhaps Goerner had done it.

Tom,

In my opinion, that is LESS reason to believe Goerner could have done it - if we're saying that Ahola MIGHT have a shot at it, with his abilities, and then comparing him to Goerner, then Goerner would have to be even stronger then I had ever believed, especially allowing for the 60 plus years between them. As you have said, Ahola is one of the best deadlifters ever, definitely up there with the Bolton's, Henry's and Coan's. I feel quite envious that you have seen him lift in the flesh!!

Again, not saying it couldn't have happened, but it becomes less likely in my mind, especially when you think about comparisons like that.

As for other lifts I doubt - Apollon's "snatch throw" of the 226lb weight is right at the top of the list.

Edited by The Mac

Yes -good counter point....Also-(fun/hypothetical)Ahola if he had of specialized in just the deadlift(or the powerlifts)...would have been scarey.....(he was scarey enough at that event)with ALL of his running around and lifting kegs-loading rocks-running with 300lbs in each hand...well anyways all that training indirectly took away from his dead.

And yes when that 226# snatch throw gets reported...in the same sentence as the 700PLUS one arm deadlift..it does make you wonder....I am pretty gullible..(see my post about Craig :D )but I don't buy that story.

Yes after seeing Ahola in the flesh(not to mention 6 or 7 world class guys)and several dozen freaks-at an early age-all in in one place..it showed me what was needed to be strong.

I am not ready to delude myself :unsure with grandiose thoughts yet....THAT(Ahola and a few of the others) is what I define as strong...