Want To Start Bending .. Where Do I Start?

Jones1874

Cheers for the links Jedd. not sure if ill buy them until after chistmas though. i need money to go out over the new year and every penny counts

The ironmind bag is a little more expensive and you get less variety.-you do get a nice bag though and the ironmind wraps plus a lot nails in general-

I think the white nails are very easy even for a beginner especially since you have prior grip experience yet both are a good starting place.

Imps= Ironmind pads that come with the ironmind bag or bought separately from ironmind. Bending in doubles I believe is wrapping the end of the nail twice with leather-instead of the normal once- to give better leverage and make it so you don't feel much pain when driving into the bar. I think suede wraps are fine I like them more then my ironmind pads and the difference is not huge they are just a little more comfortable which is probably a good thing for you.

Its not necessary to bend in all 3 styles but it can help give you a better bending workout when starting out, I think the DO technique is the most technical though while I feel reverse is quite simple yet still the most challenging since it requires the most wrist strength.

I can't find the videos either and just use w/e tiger balm is the strongest that you can find at your local pharmacy market.

Those ebooks really will answer all your questions and more though

Thanks for that post. helped alot. in that case ill be looking at the DU and reverse technique. im looking to keep it as simple as i can technically so i dont injure myself, plus, im looking for the variants thats involce more pure wrist strength as opposed to involving more overall upper body strength.

im just gonna get any tiger balm and somther my hands in it. they havent been feeling in top condition laltely so im hoping that stuff will help.

Here's the reverse video I did for Mike a while back.

Thanks for this. ill watch the video now, but ill be revisiting once i get some nails.

Sorry I got distracted by the Hulk...er Chez.

I think the white nails are going to be super easy for you regardless of your previous training. they're good to have, but I think within a few weeks you can certainly bend a yellow nail. IMP's are Iron Mind Pads. Thin Cordura, some people like them, some people hate them. personally I like bending in them a lot, I just need a touch more kink strength to cert the Red. I wouldn't necessarily say all three styles are necessary, but at least one wrist style is good to work on. DU doesn't really make much sense to me, but I love reverse.

Jedd's ebook is seriously great, I'm sure the video is even better. if you really wanna delve into it C is the place. ignore the hubris and you can pick up a lot of tips. just go through all the cert videos and you will see some of the best benders of all time.

Good Luck

Mike

To start off i think i may get a bag of white nails. i know you said their probably gonna be easy, even for beginners, but i just want to get the feel for bending nails. i think these will help me to work on my technique aswell.

what makes you say the DU doesnt make sense to you?

Ill have to consider getting the ebook after christmas, for now ill watch a few of the tutorials scattered about and see what i can take from them. i will visit the steelbenders website from time to time. i had a quick browse last night and came across some interesting training methods.

Thanks again you and everyone for the posts. very helpful.

Edited by alexjones234

Sorry I got distracted by the Hulk...er Chez.

I think the white nails are going to be super easy for you regardless of your previous training. they're good to have, but I think within a few weeks you can certainly bend a yellow nail. IMP's are Iron Mind Pads. Thin Cordura, some people like them, some people hate them. personally I like bending in them a lot, I just need a touch more kink strength to cert the Red. I wouldn't necessarily say all three styles are necessary, but at least one wrist style is good to work on. DU doesn't really make much sense to me, but I love reverse.

Jedd's ebook is seriously great, I'm sure the video is even better. if you really wanna delve into it C is the place. ignore the hubris and you can pick up a lot of tips. just go through all the cert videos and you will see some of the best benders of all time.

Good Luck

Mike

To start off i think i may get a bag of white nails. i know you said their probably gonna be easy, even for beginners, but i just want to get the feel for bending nails. i think these will help me to work on my technique aswell.

what makes you say the DU doesnt make sense to you?

Ill have to consider getting the ebook after christmas, for now ill watch a few of the tutorials scattered about and see what i can take from them. i will visit the steelbenders website from time to time. i had a quick browse last night and came across some interesting training methods.

Thanks again you and everyone for the posts. very helpful.

The white nails are really, really easy. I would caution you from ordering a whole bag of them. The very first time I ever bent anything, I just got a white nail into position and it basically bent without me applying any pressure. I just started to tense up and it went. Even the green nails are super easy. You might want to get some 3/16" and 1/4" steel and a bolt cutter so you can make your own stock.

• Like 1

Just found my Wrist Developer by David Horne .. I would have mentioned this earlier if i remembered i had one. just goes to show how we start with good intentions but nothing comes of it. saying that, back when i bought it i didnt do alot of reading or make any posts about it. this time i really do want to get into it and build some strong wrists.

i was messing aroud with it earlier, only put a couple of rubber bands on it for really high reps so i could get the feel from different angles. but by the time i finished my wrists were nice and warm with the blood flowing around the area, and i have to say, i can really see the potential off this thing! i could tell right away after using it, that if my wrists were stronger from this angle they would probably feel solid. what a truly amazing peice of equipment! cant beleive ive just left it sit there until now. i cant even sure why i didnt bother with it first time round ..

i suppose it saves me spending money on steel for the minute. i have just ordered a white spring from David though, for higher rep sets and volume work. providing i get my technique down and my stay healthy, i can see this being a favourite of mine.

just have a quick question on technique for the WD. - Do you move both hands? or keep the front hand stiff while moving the back hand? or keep the back hand stiff while moving the front hand?

Thanks.

• Like 1

WD is a great gripmachine. It's a painmachine too, you have to get used to it!

Maybe best is to use one hand as an anchor, and the other then to push or pull. Which? Your choice. Try every possibility and remember to use both hands in all styles. It will make your wrists stronger!

• Like 2