Thank You Mobsterone!

Rick Walker

Yes, the ends will revolve. But because of the 'z' shape of the bar, it is like a cambered bar, so that the part where you hold (centre) does not revolve. Many of the One Hand Deadlift records have been done using cambered bars as it made it a lot easier to lift.

David

Bracing is the Inch's wrist strap, if you will.

Yes, I realize it takes great strength to get it off the

floor with bracing, but when we begin referring to training tactics as the actual feat (proper deadlift) we then put ourselves in the ackward position of seeking qualifications(braced/not braced) for matters that have already, for decades, been defined, and we should, in my view, reserve mention of accomplishment for the feat itself, and mention the other methods as training aids only.

Those who have held the spring of the #3 with the non-closing hand are not certified, though they are strong.

And if somehow a pinch lift could first be braced it would not be considered a pure pinch lift.

I have not been on the board much lately because of some distractions, and I have not been able to see the videos mentioned, so perhaps my post is out of line, but,

has anyone performed a proper deadlift, or for that matter a proper floor clearing with the MB without bracing?

One other point: If the Inch or MB handle were 12" wide,

and bracing were allowed, imagine how many could then

clear the floor with it. The handle width is not a factor if the bell leaves the floor in parallel. :erm

The MDB can, as per rules I sent a long time ago, be lifted as I see fit - braced or unbraced. My toy - my rules. However, as per Joes post the video shows the Inch replica untilted to any great degree. Bracing is then, as per my suggestion, a training tool.

Just had another look at the posts. The MDB is only a few years old and as such doesn't fall within the 'decades old' catagory. As I used to point out to Oldguy reread the original rules etc, which Joe requested for the Brian Schoonveld etc event. They allowed for 'highest from floor with (I seem to recall) the winner being, if otherwise equal, he or she who lifts it level. Therefore, with only myself and Mark Henry as of this date actually defying the earths strong gravatational pull, we are 'winners'. There is no other competition - there may be soon - but there isn't, at least for now. It is not for anyone else to decide how a lift should be made without the orginator (myself and Alan Radley) deciding, history or no history. Now can we leave it at that??

I would also ask that a careful read of Rick Walkers post be made. At no time does he claim the new and added weight as a record. He is training to lift an Inch replica and therefore bracing will allow, as a training aid, more weight to be lifted. This allows the body to get used a greater load.

More over, with reference to history, from the few photos I have seen that were taken and knowing that most here agree that the Inch wasn't put overhead by the man himself I'd like to see evidence of lifts that were made 'level' even if just to knee height etc.

Heck, I messed a bit with bracing this weekend and you know what...I had no idea specifically how to do it and when I thought I was doing it there was no additional benefit. Go figure. Someone want to explain to me just how there is a benefit and how one does it.

Mobster,

You are right: your implement, your rules.

And anyone else who pours a new bell can define the terms of their implement. I agree with that.

Adds to confusion, though.

It may come as a surprise to you, but I just defended you

at ironage.us forum. Someone had posted that bodyweight is not a significant factor in lifting, and I suggested that since only you and Henry have lifted the MB off the floor, and that you did it at a much lower bodyweight, yours was the more stellar accomplishment.

Frankly, I wish I could view the videos and have a better feel for what you have recently done, and you are on your way to lifting the bell parallel- which, however you define it, to me is a more stellar accomplishment than the

method you are now employing. No doubt you will be the first to so lift it- I hope you are; truly I do.

Regarding Rick, I realize that like you, he is mentioning training methods. I think when his Inch arrives, it will shortly get more air time than Dan Rather.

Best of training success to both of you. :unsure

Balancing the barbell is a feat in itself on this lift. I have a feeling that Steve will still be the Daddy.

Yes this is the bar that will be used. Straddled or lifted from the front is fine. The bar will rotate, because it is a straight bar, which is not attached to the discs. It is 6' long.

David

Looks like a great bar. I will try it both ways. I am going to have to learn to balance a bar onehanded that is longer than a curlbar! I have 6' Olympic bar that I can sleeve up to 2''. Looks like a fun lift. I am going to try the Dinnie lift and the one hand pinch too just for fun to see how I compare with the guys who compete in the Iron Grip event. I am currently training the Dinnie lift once a week. The 5/8'' thick ring digs into the hand right where the callouses are. I can lift as much as I can bear the pain.

The method I used to lift 172 on my loadable handle was bracing of the plates against the side of my arm. Yes-the DB comes up at a tilt

I, in no way, shape, or form, claimed it to be world record or even near world record weights! And-I wont allow this methods to be used in my competition either. It is simply a training method, and a VERY good one at that, for training the body/grip to handle the Inch and beyond.

As far as my Inch seeing ait time-this board will be the first to know once it arrives!

Rick Walker :rock

Balancing the barbell is a feat in itself on this lift. I have a feeling that Steve will still be the Daddy.

V true - if you think my method is 'wonky' u should have seen my training partners. I actually like this and was pulling 115 kilos the first time I tried it tonight. Mind you my left hand is as weak as a kitten.

Joe I like Ironage.us I'll drop by and say hi. I will, also, attempt to pull the MDB level one day - just for you XXX

Old Guy,

Yes it is a nice bar. It was specially made and knurled for me. As you have already found out the Dinnie ring bites into the hand a bit, but you will quickly get used to this.

Here are the rules we will be adhering to on the day.

British Iron Grip Championships 2003 Rules

One Hand Pinch Lift

Two one-inch thick discs, flat sides facing out, are held together on a metal rod by a pair of collars. Extra weight can be added. The top of this is grasped with a pinch grip and lifted off the floor till your hand is above knee height. You do not have to be erect upon completion, but your legs do have to be locked. The lift finishes on the referee's signal, and then you must lower the weight under control. The weight may be lifted at the side of the body or straddled.

Two Hands Dynamometer Squeeze

These photographs show the front and reverse of the Tiemann style dynamometer from the mid-1800s that is to be used. Squeeze the dynamometer with both hands in an underhand grip with the dial facing you. Your forearms and hands are not allowed to touch any other part of your body. Scores will be rounded up or down to the nearest ten.

One Hand Dinnie Lift

The apparatus used will be a large bar for the weights, with the large Dinnie handle (5.5” diameter and with 2” ring circumference) attached to the bar by an adjustable chain. Grasp the handle with one hand (no hook grip is allowed) and lift the weight clear of the floor. Hold aloft till you receive the referee's signal. The fingers of your lifting hand are not to be wedged against your thighs. You are allowed to steady yourself by pushing off on your leg with your non-lifting hand. The height of the ring will be 21.5” from the floor.

Weaver Stick To Rear

A round stick (broom handle) is used which has the following dimensions - diameter about 1", length 42". Half an inch from one end cut a notch. Exactly 36" from the centre of this notch, circle the stick with a line. Get two metal right angles at a hardware store, and screw them into the top and bottom sides of the stick so that the rear edges of the right angles come exactly to the circled line. This leaves a handle just 5 ½" long. The weight hangs from a wire in the notch ½" from the end, creating a leverage effect when you lift the stick by the handle. Face away from the stick, grasping the handle with your little finger towards the weight, and lift the stick and weight off the table. You may bend your body forward as the lift is made. The stick must be lifted approximately parallel to the floor. If the weighted end slopes downwards, you may carry on the event till the stick is level. Lower upon referee’s command. There must be no rocking of the stick on the table before lifting. The lifter’s hand and arm must remain free of the body. The heel of the hand must remain on top of the stick; if the hand twists around under the stick, the lift is not allowed.

One Hand Deadlift with 2" Bar (No hook grip allowed)

The bar may be raised either in front of the lifter or the lifter may straddle the bar. The free hand may be used to brace against the legs or body but must be removed upon completion of lift. Feet must remain stationary. Heels and toes may rise. The bar must be raised to a point where both ends of the bar are at least at knee height and the legs must be straightened. The shoulders do not have to be pulled back. The lift ends with the referee's signal.

David

David, I do not have the use of a Dynamometer, but please give me the specs on the weaver stick. I will be able then to try 4 out of 5 of your events.

I do the Dinnie lift with a loading pin. I don't know if that makes any difference. I know the weight is a little more forward than it would be on a bar straddled between the legs.

Both will be fine. I've used both, and used 2 loading pins on my run up to the real Dinnie stones.

David