After A Long Layoff..

pburke23

I want to get back into bending! I just moved and found a box with some g5 steel, some 60d nails, and a few other randoms. Naturally, I grabbed a g5 wrapped it, and gave it hell for 10 or 15 seconds before I unwrapped it and saw my still perfectly straight bolt! Lol!

Anyhow, I've decided to start again. Gonna head down to the hardware store tomorrow and get some grade 2s, my question is, what's a good volume of bends for someone getting back into it. Don't want to hurt myself, but have the itch again!

What technique are you using? DO will generally allow more volume than, say, Reverse.

During my most recent foray into Reverse Bending, I would do two or three warm-up bends followed by 3 legit all-out attempts max-level attemtps and be too wiped out to go on.

I'd imagine if I were doing DO, I would hit the same two or three warm-ups, but then I could probably hit the 3 max-attempts and then go on to plenty more volume of lower level attempts as well.

It will also depend on how many days you will be bending as well.

Probably best to start out on the low end and work your way up, of course.

Hope this helps. I am more conservative than other people.

Jedd

Jedd,

Thanks! I'm lifting 4 days a week, and doing some other grip work (grippers, rolling thunder, etc) on other days. So I'll keep bending and sledge hammer leveraging to once a week for now.

I have grade 5s and some 60ds here, but need to grab some more stock. A bunch of grade 2s and some warmup 3/16ths good to grab to get restarted? What else would u suggest?

Also, which is tougher a grade 5 or a 60d if they're the same length?

Jedd,

Thanks! I'm lifting 4 days a week, and doing some other grip work (grippers, rolling thunder, etc) on other days. So I'll keep bending and sledge hammer leveraging to once a week for now.

I have grade 5s and some 60ds here, but need to grab some more stock. A bunch of grade 2s and some warmup 3/16ths good to grab to get restarted? What else would u suggest?

Also, which is tougher a grade 5 or a 60d if they're the same length?

Well, it depends on what 60D you buy. They all vary of course, but I have some of the Canadian 60D's, Sivacos, that are WAY harder than other 60D's. However, I would say that most Grade 5's are going to be tougher than most 60D's.

Shameless plug here - check out my Nail Bending eBook - It has a complete layout of all kinds of progressions for bending stock: http://thegripauthority.com/bending.htm

From my experience working with people, over-use conditions and injury generally comes from lack of warm-up and too much volume under near-maximal strain. For warm-up, make sure you are thoroughly warm before bending. Just hitting a few light bends is not a sufficient warm-up for your soft tissues. The light bends are specific warm-up, leading into your max bends. The general warm-up needs to come first and major muscle groups must be excited throughout the body. Although the glutes and lats don't come anywhere near the bar being bent, they are still extremely important for creating force for bending.

Hope this helps.