Why I Still Cant Close This Gripper

Rampage jackson

...as Daniel says, use chalk. To me at least it looks like none was used and if you're going the Ben Edwards TNS route then chalk is a must! ;) lol

Guys, lets keep in mind he may like the TNS like set and doing parallel sets won't really help him know if he's progressing from wide sets, unless he tests the wide set on occasion. My suggestion is based on if you prefer to train those wide sets or if you have no preference and would consider doing parallel training. Wide sets have a broader carryover to general hand strength and MMS sets are better for deadlift grips, contest style grippers, Mash Monster certs and IMO they offer a means of more consistant gains and are easier to see strength gains in.

So if you prefer that wide set check out Ben Edwards TNS closes. He has the most technique sound way of positioning the rear handle as far towards the fingers as possible yet still doing a really wide set.

If you have no preference I say start doing MMS closes, or parallel closes. They are easier to get gains from, and allow for technique mastery which is important in performance. Having great technique does more for your training than anything else. As others said, Paul's video is the best there is. We all learned from it.

Also I couldn't tell if you were using chalk. If not, buy some. It's like a $1 a block and makes for consistant training which is very important.

Yes you are right he might like TNS but nonetheless his set is bad. The handle which should go to the palm is on his thumb pad. I can't close a store bought hand gripper like that. Ok just kidding but you get the point, it'll be much harder. As other suggested see Paul Knight's setting video.

Paul has said (somewhere) that he doesn't change the handle position for CCS or no sets. He has a ginormous hand though. I have to move the palm-side handle for either. It could be mistaken for "bad form", but it's my best shot at a CCS or TNS close.

I guess my point is I think Rampage could benefit from some setting technique even if he is going to focus on TNS work. Daniel's recommendations above make a lot of sense.

• Like 1

Paul has said (somewhere) that he doesn't change the handle position for CCS or no sets. He has a ginormous hand though. I have to move the palm-side handle for either. It could be mistaken for "bad form", but it's my best shot at a CCS or TNS close.

I guess my point is I think Rampage could benefit from some setting technique even if he is going to focus on TNS work. Daniel's recommendations above make a lot of sense.

I think Pauls hands are 8.75 "

That's a big um hand.

Same here Matt. I can wrap an axle but for CCS or TNS I have to have the rear handle far back. When I see people get lots of finger wrap on wide set grippers it makes me sick. Lol

I think Pauls hands are 8.75 "

As a Paul Kinght stalker :ninja: I happen to know his hands are 8.25 long and the span is 9.75.

As a Paul Kinght stalker :ninja: I happen to know his hands are 8.25 long and the span is 9.75.

That's a little scary that you know that. :erm

:D

Matt & Daniel, same for me. I have a different handle position for each set.

For me it seems thumb is very underutilized in general no matter what set people use. Rampage guy here does not use his thumb at all with the close.

• Like 1

ok so i learn the technique but my hands very small and my fingers very far from the handales ineed to close the gripper to half for wrapping my fingers

Whats your hand size?

i dont know if i measure correctly but i think 19-20 cm or 7.5 inches

That's about the size of my hand, when I started training more with a parallel set it helped me a lot. Particularly since the last bit of the close is where you are getting stuck at, you can put more effort into it by setting deeper and not wasting energy getting to that point from a wider set.

Your hands are not small. It's average. Just watch Paul Knight's Setting Video over and over again until you've mastered it. You'll have no issues then.