Hot Rolled For Practice

bubba29

I can get hot rolled steel round for very cheap compared to most every other type of bending stock available. The only thing that comes close is 60d timber ties which would be cheaper if I bought a 5 # box but I don't wan't that much of one thing.

I have done some searching and haven't found any decent info. I have played with some 1/4" hot rolled round and it seems easier than my 3/16" cold rolled square. My questions for the more experienced guys are:

1) Is there any good info out there one strength of hot rolled vs. cold rolled.

2) What are your experiences practicing with this stuff

I am in a weird quandary. I am becoming addicted to bending but am on a tight budget. Feel free to elaborate as much as you like.

I bought some A36 a few months back. Got 1/4" round, 1/4" square, and 5/16" round. The 1/4" A36 is too easy to have any real value, but it's good for new people to try, and I will probably tape it to tougher stock to incrementally increase the difficulty. The 5/16" A36 is a little tougher. Somewhere around a 60d from Home depot, maybe a bit tougher. I got the A36 from Industrial Metal Supply. They have a store near us. If I were to buy stock today, I would probably go with drill rod.

I bought some A36 a few months back. Got 1/4" round, 1/4" square, and 5/16" round. The 1/4" A36 is too easy to have any real value, but it's good for new people to try, and I will probably tape it to tougher stock to incrementally increase the difficulty. The 5/16" A36 is a little tougher. Somewhere around a 60d from Home depot, maybe a bit tougher. I got the A36 from Industrial Metal Supply. They have a store near us. If I were to buy stock today, I would probably go with drill rod.

drill rod is pricey. thx for your feedback though. i may give 5/16" a try, it is cheaper than 1/4" my local supplier.

=SHAPE_PICT&search_field=Rounds.gif#products"]http://www.themetalstore.com/products/Hot-Rolled-Steel/?params[field]=SHAPE_PICT&search_field=Rounds.gif#products

Drill rod is pricey. But the question is, is it better to spend money on something you will use, or something that seemed like a good deal at the time but you're abilities surpass? I also bought some CRS in bulk at 1/4" and that was more of a challenge, and still is a good workout. The stuff from IMS was harder than the 5/16" A36. Note that there may be other alloys that are in between.

Drill rod is pricey. But the question is, is it better to spend money on something you will use, or something that seemed like a good deal at the time but you're abilities surpass? I also bought some CRS in bulk at 1/4" and that was more of a challenge, and still is a good workout. The stuff from IMS was harder than the 5/16" A36. Note that there may be other alloys that are in between.

I completely understand your thoughts on this. The drill rods give a repeatable and reliable resistance. Whereas the hot rolled stuff is a crapshoot. I may buy a 5/16" HRS 4 foot piece for less than $2 and see how it goes. May be worthless but may also be a diamond in the rough.

To save the most money i'd get a wrist developer or do a lot of levering to strengthen the wrists more and bend less frequently.

While there are some technique details that can only be refined by bending steel. I agree that a wrist developer is probably more economical. I'm definitely looking into getting one myself.

+1 for sledge work as well. I think that particularly the supination/pronation work is invaluable for extensor health.

Find a local steel retailer - you can buy 10' lengths of CRS and Hot roll comes in 20' lengths - most bending stock that you buy is simply Cold Roll Round - don't worry about the grade in the beginning - nothing fancy needed. Buying in long pieces is much cheaper - and a pair of bolt cutters will cut it just fine to start with.

plus you can cut the length in very small increments to bridge gaps. 1/4" or smaller is no big deal when you do it yourself.

Find a local steel retailer - you can buy 10' lengths of CRS and Hot roll comes in 20' lengths - most bending stock that you buy is simply Cold Roll Round - don't worry about the grade in the beginning - nothing fancy needed. Buying in long pieces is much cheaper - and a pair of bolt cutters will cut it just fine to start with.

plus you can cut the length in very small increments to bridge gaps. 1/4" or smaller is no big deal when you do it yourself.

i have been cutting my own stuff for a bit now. i have a local supplier that i can get decent prices from. you are right about the small increments. a half inch can be the difference between success and failure.