Progressing From 3/16" To 1/4"

bubba29

So I just started with bending this past weekend. I easily bent many 3/16" cold rolled round bars ranging from 7" to 5". So i thought I would give a 1/4'x7" a try thinking it shouldn't be too much harder than a 3/16"x5". WOW was I wrong! I barely bent the 1/4". It is a HUGE difference in toughness for me.

The question I have is what can I challenge myself with in the meantime till I get the strength to handle the 1/4"? The 3/16" just seems too easy to be building strength.

Go to your local hardware store, buy 40d nails and 1/4" x 6" grade 2 bolts. They will help you progress to the 1/4" crs.

Try 1/4" HRS

i was wondering about this. how much easier is hot rolled? i know it is much easier on the pocketbook. probably worth trying for the price. my only concern is it will be easier that 3/16" cold rolled.

Edited by bubba29

So I just started with bending this past weekend. I easily bent many 3/16" cold rolled round bars ranging from 7" to 5". So i thought I would give a 1/4'x7" a try thinking it shouldn't be too much harder than a 3/16"x5". WOW was I wrong! I barely bent the 1/4". It is a HUGE difference in toughness for me.

The question I have is what can I challenge myself with in the meantime till I get the strength to handle the 1/4"? The 3/16" just seems too easy to be building strength.

What style of bending are you doing? And what type of wraps are you using? I've found that at the 1/4 -- 3/16 diamater level, you may have some variance in stock that will blur the lines of difficulty a lot. (One day, you struggle through a 1/4 CRS bar; the next you destroy one... the ability to progress can be a few lbs. and happen rapidly, once everything else is dialed in.) Have you ever done sledge levers? This is a great way to strengthen the wrists and will definitely help you when you are just starting out with bending.

Try 1/4" HRS

i was wondering about this. how much easier is hot rolled?

Depending on your source, some HRS can actually be harder than CRS. If you're trying to use HRS bars as a stepping stone to a harder level, and find a batch that fits your current status, buy a lot of the stuff! When I was training for the Red, I had a bunch of 5/16 HRS that calibrated in the 375-390 (est.) area, and helped me a ton to progress. But, I've had some 5/16" HRS bars that were way harder than most Reds!

What style of bending are you doing? And what type of wraps are you using? I've found that at the 1/4 -- 3/16 diamater level, you may have some variance in stock that will blur the lines of difficulty a lot. (One day, you struggle through a 1/4 CRS bar; the next you destroy one... the ability to progress can be a few lbs. and happen rapidly, once everything else is dialed in.) Have you ever done sledge levers? This is a great way to strengthen the wrists and will definitely help you when you are just starting out with bending.

i am using double overhand and homemade denim wraps. the wraps seem more than sufficient, i am just not strong enough for the 1/4". i cannot envision myself getting these 1/4" bars on a good day anytime soon. i have been doing sledge levers for about the last month or so but i do need a lot of work on these too.

i am using double overhand and homemade denim wraps. the wraps seem more than sufficient, i am just not strong enough for the 1/4". i cannot envision myself getting these 1/4" bars on a good day anytime soon. i have been doing sledge levers for about the last month or so but i do need a lot of work on these too.

I bet you are plenty strong enough... it's most likely a technique issue. I remember struggling with the Yellow Nail, and watching video, getting advice, and then one day, it finally clicked... everything came together and it melted like butter.

Have you bent any 1/4 x 6 or 7" grade 2 bolts? There are some challenging ones out there if you look. If you can find one, it would be a good bridge to 1/4" CRS.

• Like 1

I bet you are plenty strong enough... it's most likely a technique issue. I remember struggling with the Yellow Nail, and watching video, getting advice, and then one day, it finally clicked... everything came together and it melted like butter.

Have you bent any 1/4 x 6 or 7" grade 2 bolts? There are some challenging ones out there if you look. If you can find one, it would be a good bridge to 1/4" CRS.

no on the bolts but you can be sure i will find some. do you look for full or partial thread?

no on the bolts but you can be sure i will find some. do you look for full or partial thread?

Partial-thread. I order a lot of stuff from Fastenal-have always had awesome quality stuff! You can order hex cap bolts at longer lengths too. I order longer bolts and cut the threads off a lot of times. 1/4 x 7" grade 2 (part # 1110027) should work. McMaster-Carr has good stuff too.

I was in a similair situation as well. I just bought a Bender's Bag from FBBC, and I was able to bend all the 3/16" stuff without a problem. The first time I tried the 1/4" I was stopped dead in my tracks. As it turns out, my technique was all wrong, and once I understood the fundamentals of the double-overhand, I was able to take down a yellow. I'm still working on keeping the steel as high as possible, which is tough because I'm kind of bulky. I was lucky to have someone local to show me the proper technique. If you can meet up with a more experienced bender, I'd highly recommend it.

I'm still a beginner, this is basically the same thing that happened with me when I started 1/4 CRS. I could muscle through them usually, but one day the technique just hit me and I could blast through them.

what is this "technique" stuff so many are talking about? any good technique resources if i can't find someone local.

Someone sent me this video of Jedd explaining DO bending technique because I was "chicken winging it". See if this helps. http://www.dieselcrew.com/perfecting-double-overhand-bending-techniqu

You can also use 3/16" square to bridge the gap, if you cannot find the grade 2 bolts.

Based on the lifts in your signature though, your problem is a technique issue. I can reverse or DO 1/4" stock. Yet, my best gripper close is a #2 with a parallel set, on a good day. My max axle dead is around 230lbs. You just need some practice on form.

what is this "technique" stuff so many are talking about? any good technique resources if i can't find someone local.

Yeah, most definitely, Jedd's ebook is awesome! Benders Battlefield has a TON of good stuff for people just starting out. If you can't meet up with someone knowledgeble, try to put up some videos from different angles. Usually with DO, it is something minor, but making a big difference.

You can also use O-1 Drillrod as it is sold in very small diameter increments.

Yeah, most definitely, Jedd's ebook is awesome! Benders Battlefield has a TON of good stuff for people just starting out. If you can't meet up with someone knowledgeble, try to put up some videos from different angles. Usually with DO, it is something minor, but making a big difference.

I agree. If you have the money to spend, Jedd's Nail Bending ebook or Nail Bending DVD are fantastic. Get both if you can. The DVD will let you see everything and the book really goes into great detail. Things like the progression of bars, anatomy and everything in between. Great investment if you want to get good at bending.

You can also use 3/16" square to bridge the gap, if you cannot find the grade 2 bolts.

Based on the lifts in your signature though, your problem is a technique issue. I can reverse or DO 1/4" stock. Yet, my best gripper close is a #2 with a parallel set, on a good day. My max axle dead is around 230lbs. You just need some practice on form.

i will definitely film a bend and post it for coaching. i suppose i may have decent hand strength but i bet it's more wrist and arm strength that i need. i am gonna play around with some of the bolts and bars that have been suggested. i am i no hurry but i don't think the 3/16" round is helping.

I checked your log, your lifts are quite a bit higher than mine. You have the strength for the 1/4" stock. I bet you can get the form dialed in and be melting it within a few weeks.

Also, your wraps look thin and delicate:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=galleryℑ=10603

They might be preventing your from really unloading into the bar. There is a huge difference between a rag and leather.

• 2 weeks later...

so i made some suede leather wraps and studied technique a bunch. i tried a 60D timber tie, no luck. a 1/4" x 6 bolt, even less luck. next i am gonna try 3/16" square CR and 1/4" round HR.

i just think i need a ton of work on upper body strength. especially wrist and chest. i have avoided chest work for about 16 years due to a shoulder surgery. i betcha lack of that work effects bending. betcha good benders have a strong bench.

• 4 weeks later...

got some new wraps and that has made a big difference. I am now able to bend some bigger stock. I suppose I am getting better and stronger but I think the wraps have made the biggest difference.

Based on the numbers in your sig, you're more than strong enough to bend a yellow nail. I just started bending myself....initially double overhand and the yellow stopped me dead in my tracks. As it turns out, my double overhand technique was/is horrible. I tried reverse bending less than two weeks ago and also had trouble with the yellow initially because of poor reverse technique. After a small adjustment I wasted my first yellow and I've already bent a blue nail. Technique seems to be of critical importance for bending bigger and bigger nails....study everything from how to properly wrap your nail to the physical technique to the mental aspect, etc. I also highly recommend Jedd's book on nail bending.

Based on the numbers in your sig, you're more than strong enough to bend a yellow nail. I just started bending myself....initially double overhand and the yellow stopped me dead in my tracks. As it turns out, my double overhand technique was/is horrible. I tried reverse bending less than two weeks ago and also had trouble with the yellow initially because of poor reverse technique. After a small adjustment I wasted my first yellow and I've already bent a blue nail. Technique seems to be of critical importance for bending bigger and bigger nails....study everything from how to properly wrap your nail to the physical technique to the mental aspect, etc. I also highly recommend Jedd's book on nail bending.

i am positive i could get the yellow. the blue, i am not so confident in. that being said, i only ever tried the white nail from IM. i have bought some 1/4" crs and grade 2 bolts locally and knocked those suckers out. gonna try some shorter ones. i have a 60d nail right now that i cannot budge. just having fun bending in many different directions. my overhand sux though.