Can't Get Into Double Overhand Position Because I'm 'bulky

yummy

So I've been doing bodybuilding/powerlifting for many years and don't have the best flexibility in my shoulders in general. I have a lot of mass around my chest/shoulders/arms and the double overhand technique is quite difficult to get into position. i know my chest and wrist are decently strong though I can bend a blue easily in one pad double underhand but I want to use bigger wraps and work on the red but I just can't use the superior technique to do it. Any videos or tips of bulky benders using the double overhand technique?

Edited by yummy

Work on your flexability. It is really key. How big are your arms? Too big gets in the way for sure. Acorn here on the gb has a lot of good videos of bending and he is big. Look up acorcorr on utube you have to go back a bit

• Like 1

So I've been doing bodybuilding/powerlifting for many years and don't have the best flexibility in my shoulders in general. I have a lot of mass around my chest/shoulders/arms and the double overhand technique is quite difficult to get into position. i know my chest and wrist are decently strong though I can bend a blue easily in one pad double underhand but I want to use bigger wraps and work on the red but I just can't use the superior technique to do it. Any videos or tips of bulky benders using the double overhand technique?

I'm not a bulky guy, but when I started bending, I bent very low on the chest just from lack of shoulder flexibility. This didn't change until I actually started working on getting the bar higher and holding it there while I rolled my shoulders forward. Keep stretching and practice getting the bar under your chin while you roll forward. Hope this tid bit helps. :grin:

Work on your flexability. It is really key. How big are your arms? Too big gets in the way for sure. Acorn here on the gb has a lot of good videos of bending and he is big. Look up acorcorr on utube you have to go back a bit

haven't measured recently but they are deffenitely little over 20inches but I'm around 18% bodyfat so deffenitely some fat-not fat but not lean either just bulky at the moment since focus is strength at the moment- they probably be around 18 inches or so near single digit bodyfat.

Any flexibility exercises or stretches you guys do to get into better position?

I just started to bend and I have the same problem. I lifted like a body builder as well. I weigh 260 and I have big shoulders, arms and chest. Like J.T. I started bending low on my chest, but I'm finally bending with the bar higher and getting better leverage. It really makes a huge difference. Just keep practicing the technique and flexabilty starts to come. I still have a lot of room for improvement.

haven't measured recently but they are deffenitely little over 20inches but I'm around 18% bodyfat so deffenitely some fat-not fat but not lean either just bulky at the moment since focus is strength at the moment- they probably be around 18 inches or so near single digit bodyfat.

Any flexibility exercises or stretches you guys do to get into better position?

20" is a bit big. You still should work on flexibility for the DO but you may want to try reverse. Maybe DU too

Shoulder stretching and practicing your technique are going to be the money for you. Door frame stretching should work pretty well. Like this.

Edited by Idiedintothe

well, i have the the flexibility to easily get into position. i am damn skinny and can't bend shit. so i guess you could be worse off.

I have still the same problems with the shoulders.

The door stretching is a good workout to get flexible!

There is a very good post on BB from Ben E, to get flexible for long bars!

Shoulder stretching and practicing your technique are going to be the money for you. Door frame stretching should work pretty well. Like this.

thanks I'm going to practice these a bit and just keep working at it I guess.