Race To The Red Nail

Chez

Im in this! Im nowhere close but im hooked, I had my first true bending session

today 2 1/4 5in zinc bolts/ got some 1/4 cooled rolled steel

cut out 4 6in peices and bent them all under 2in with some

sh%#@ wraps made from a table cloth. Im gonna order Ironmind

wraps so maybe that will work a little better.

• Like 2

Yea thats bad, im not bending anymore till i get

ironmind wraps, Thanks for the heads up though.

Good luck but yes get some wraps first. You can even go down to a local leather store and cut some out also. Based on your upper body strength from your log and your very strong grip the red wont take you long once you get your technique down.

I plan to start bending again relatively soon its been a few months now since I last bent. My last session was around june 15th.

Thanks stephen im just kinda low on money right now, Is cooled rolled welding steel ok?

i mean i bent a 1/4 / 6in long peice with ease and the 5in 1/4 bolt.

Its great that you decided to join and start steel bending. I'm sure you will do very well. If your goal is the red nail than I recommend only bending 7 inch long steel. It will get you use to the length of the red nail. Shorter steel feels very different. I don't know how your shoulder flexibility is, but mine is very poor and I'm much better at bending 6 inch or shorter steel. I had to really concentrate on 7 inch steel to get better at it. Good luck and make sure to post lots of videos here for tips and advice.

Ok Chez thanks alot ! soon as i get this moving over with i can

realy train hard! my home gym will be alot better and i plan on

going far as i can with grippers and bending. And yea there is

alot different feel with the 7

Hey Chez, IM contacted you yet bud?

I'm still waiting for a ref... : -/

Hey Chez, IM contacted you yet bud?

I'm still waiting for a ref... : -/

Yep, IM contacted me today. They found a ref. I'm going to contact him tomorrow to set up the certification.

• Like 2

Your gonna kill it Chez!

Lucky you... I'm right behind you brother!

This is exciting to watch all these Red Nail certs! Good luck, guys.

Here is my latest M-bar. It took me a few seconds longer than the last time, but I felt more in control. It was a training bend, and not an all-out max bend like before. I keep ending up way bent over, but this is when the bar seems to move on the sweep and crush.

• Like 1

Here is my latest M-bar. It took me a few seconds longer than the last time, but I felt more in control. It was a training bend, and not an all-out max bend like before. I keep ending up way bent over, but this is when the bar seems to move on the sweep and crush.

Great bend Joel. Keep killing those and eventually they will become a walk in the park. I used M's to get to the red also.

Awesome technique dude no way i can be that flexible lol.

Nice work JC!

Great job JC! Strong hits! The only thing I saw was that your body, core, back etc were loose before the hit. So when you hit the bar you bent over to find bodily tension. May I suggest leaning back real far to flex the back and core before you hit the bar. Then you have all this tension so you can direct all efforts into the steel.

There are a few examples out there. Here's a side view of what I mean.

Thanks Robert!

Dan, thanks for the observation and suggestion. I will try this the next time I bend. I didn't realize that was going on, I just knew I was bending over at the waist for some reason.

Most people bend over on a max effort but minimizing it will allow more power to go to the bend. Its like a good bench. You want everything rigid and wound up like a spring.

Still waiting for my judge to contact me. I took down an FBBC Shiny Bastard tonight under certification conditions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElLECWi3aMg

You make it look easy bro, i received some starter steel and some wraps from

Tom Scibelli today " Thanks again Tom! " anyway i am so dang busy right now

its hard to do anything. I put a 1/4 Grade 5 bolt in some wraps today at my parents

and got it to a inch and a half! I will post a video very soon with the grade 5

and the blue nail, I realy love bending now.

• Like 2

Still waiting for my judge to contact me. I took down an FBBC Shiny Bastard tonight under certification conditions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElLECWi3aMg

The waiting must be killing you!

Its really tough. I'm trying to stay sharp but i'm making sure I don't injury myself. Gotta balance it.

You make it look easy bro, i received some starter steel and some wraps from

Tom Scibelli today " Thanks again Tom! " anyway i am so dang busy right now

its hard to do anything. I put a 1/4 Grade 5 bolt in some wraps today at my parents

and got it to a inch and a half! I will post a video very soon with the grade 5

and the blue nail, I realy love bending now.

Thanks dude. I was honestly really bad at bending when I first started. I was a natural at grippers but I had to work hard at bending. If you are already bending that steel, you are off to a great start. Can't wait to see some videos of your bends.

M-Bar progress from today. I improved my time, this one went down in under two minutes. Daniel's tip to lean back (to create tension) before each hit really seemed to make a difference, especially on the sweep and crush. Thanks a bunch Dan!

This thread is great. Look at all the Red Nail certs that have happened here. Plus, I just had a Red Nail bender give me video feedback that helped me improve the very next time I bent. Plus Sharkey PM'd a while ago and really set me up for success using Drill Rod.

• Like 2