Race To The Red Nail

Chez

Very cool you get one of the best benders to be your referee, you will kill it no problem based on your recent videos.

Some really great stuff happening in this thread. Keeping killing it guys.

Go Shark! Blood in the water!

• Like 1

Go Shark! Blood in the water!

That's awesome. Thanks. I'll keep you posted. Definitely having some second guessed thoughts at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to lay off of bending for 3 weeks because a blister kept cracking and would not heal, so I completely focused on arm wrestling and started using Tuf foot. I had my first bending night last Thursday and my flexibility was almost completely gone. I could not get the dang bar up near my neck, so I did high quantity bending on 1/4 x 7 CRS and my hands held up just fine. I could not bend or even wobble a Red and that kind of worried me and kind of put me off a little bit. Last night I did some forearm work and decided to bend some high quantity 1/4 again and after that I went for a 5/16 X 7 and it went down decently. I was still tight and my flexibility was a little better, so I went for a Red and BAM it went down fast crush and all. After that I gaged my hands and they were fine. Bent 2 more Reds and my hands were fine. This Tuf foot is awesome stuff. I am back in the game.

• Like 2

I had to lay off of bending for 3 weeks because a blister kept cracking and would not heal, so I completely focused on arm wrestling and started using Tuf foot. I had my first bending night last Thursday and my flexibility was almost completely gone. I could not get the dang bar up near my neck, so I did high quantity bending on 1/4 x 7 CRS and my hands held up just fine. I could not bend or even wobble a Red and that kind of worried me and kind of put me off a little bit. Last night I did some forearm work and decided to bend some high quantity 1/4 again and after that I went for a 5/16 X 7 and it went down decently. I was still tight and my flexibility was a little better, so I went for a Red and BAM it went down fast crush and all. After that I gaged my hands and they were fine. Bent 2 more Reds and my hands were fine. This Tuf foot is awesome stuff. I am back in the game.

Nice work!

I want to enter the "race to the red." I just added bending to my routine a couple weeks ago. On Monday I bent my first 6" grade 5 bolt. It was tough, I even punched myself in the face trying to bend it but it finally fell. Next week I'll try and bend it faster with better form.

That's a great start! I'll just tell you in advance that hand conditioning is very important. I found out the hard way. If you want to bend regularly I suggest the Tuf Foot liquid for toughening your hands and help reduce bruising. You might not need it, but it sure helped me.

Nice! Great Job guys. I have been training pretty hard for grip nationals but I have a friend coming over for a bending session Friday so hopefully the adrenaline will help me bend something big.

http://youtu.be/2J4C6ujNueE

My 2nd Red nail for the night. Sorry, I kinda got lazy on the showing the pads, but they were single Im pads with rubber bands. The first one I bent went faster and smoother. Probably from being wrapped tighter. I also bent the one after this with no rubber bands. That was my first time doing that, but I had no problems.

Edited by acromegaman
  • Like 1

My 2nd Red nail for the night. Sorry, I kinda got lazy on the showing the pads, but they were single Im pads with rubber bands. The first one I bent went faster and smoother. Probably from being wrapped tighter. I also bent the one after this with no rubber bands. That was my first time doing that, but I had no problems.

That's awesome you're ready to cert!

Edited by Tom Scibelli

Thanks Tom! I'm feeling pretty comfortable with these Reds now :)

Very Nice. You killed that bar. Get that cert. I want to see your certification video posted in this thread.

Agreed. If you are comfortable without the bands, then you are most definitely ready for the cert.

I've only done it once so far, but it wasn't too different. I think I'll wait another month. It would be neat to bend all three nails on cert day :)

My two best bends from today's session: .292" x 7" M Drill Rod DO in IMPs and 1/4" x 6" HRS square DU in IMPs

I tried a red Nail in IMPs after the Drill Rod and kinked it but I was exhausted at this point and couldn't keep going. Next time.

• Like 1

Is the m rod comparable to 5/16 hrs?

I'm not sure. The more experienced benders might know.

Is the m rod comparable to 5/16 hrs?

HRS is incredibly inconsistent. I had some 5/16 that had a similar kink to easier Reds and then just folded. Drill Rod is manufactured to much higher standards - which is one reason we use it for certs on steelbenders.org. (There are even different processes of curing dill rod, and some is like $30 a bar). "M" i very consistent between 370 & 400. (usually 380+, however I have one Mutant "M" that is 450+)

If you are looking to bend a Red, the best progression I can recommend is to bend L bars and then M bars. Once you are consistently bending M bars, you will be steady over 400#, which is where you need to be. The weakest Reds I've had (with spirals n the shaft) are maybe 420# and the modern ones are closer to 440#. Mike Krahling is going to calibrate one of the three Reds from my cert this week, so I can report back on that in a few weeks.

• Like 2