Ironmind Grippers: Do They Vary?

jad

Yes, that's right—I'd say save your money and only buy 1 CoC of each strength you need, but if you lean toward being obsessive-compulsive about these things, definitely buy a pile of them: they're cheaper by the dozen!

This is a known grip disease. :) I mean...who can own just one of each level? Hmmm....let's see. At best guess I think I have had somewhere between 5-9 #3's over the course of time and 3-5 #2's as examples.

You propably didn´t get THE point from my posts :grin:

I don't think there really IS a point in your posts.

• Like 1

You propably didn´t get THE point from my posts :grin:

I don't think there really IS a point in your posts.

First post was answer to topic ;) Chill out, its allmost friday :mellow

CoC´s do not vary, do not "season" even a little bit. There is no need for "left handed" CoC because force needed for close is same when using left/right hand(99.9% just have stronger crush on right hand). Your hand/fingers aren´t more sensitive than your thighs and glutes. Why all this is even discussed when we could use this time for training.

If you have an RGC and have rated a bunch of grippers you'd know that your statement about COCs not varying and not seasoning is false. Remember that just because we're saying they DO vary and DO season a bit it doesn't mean that we're knocking them necessarily. All grippers vary and all brands season at least a little bit. Some of them much more than others.

:D did you notice that I just wrote what stands on IM webpage ;)

I am happy to own #3 at 150.1lbs (3.00) and #3.5 179.95 lbs rated exact 3.50.

I just fill the gaps with other brands that do vary, and can say that it is not just one or two grippers that fall between 3 and 3.5 :)

Edit: of course CoC´s vary, but because IM does say they won´t, I own just one of each CoC´s.

Yes, that's right—I'd say save your money and only buy 1 CoC of each strength you need, but if you lean toward being obsessive-compulsive about these things, definitely buy a pile of them: they're cheaper by the dozen!

Luckily I am obsessed about something that is even more fun to grab on :)

:grin:

CoC´s do not vary, do not "season" even a little bit. There is no need for "left handed" CoC because force needed for close is same when using left/right hand(99.9% just have stronger crush on right hand). Your hand/fingers aren´t more sensitive than your thighs and glutes. Why all this is even discussed when we could use this time for training.

If you have an RGC and have rated a bunch of grippers you'd know that your statement about COCs not varying and not seasoning is false. Remember that just because we're saying they DO vary and DO season a bit it doesn't mean that we're knocking them necessarily. All grippers vary and all brands season at least a little bit. Some of them much more than others.

:D did you notice that I just wrote what stands on IM webpage ;)

I am happy to own #3 at 150.1lbs (3.00) and #3.5 179.95 lbs rated exact 3.50.

I just fill the gaps with other brands that do vary, and can say that it is not just one or two grippers that fall between 3 and 3.5 :)

Edit: of course CoC´s vary, but because IM does say they won´t, I own just one of each CoC´s.

Good thing I didn't say it was only one or two grippers that fall between the #3 and the #3.5. I've closed a bunch of grippers since 2000 and have owned many different brands too. They all have something to offer. Some are crappy quality. Those are the ones that I don't mind throwing in a bag and taking with me on vacation. If they get stole, so what! My higher quality ones I still like to take on vacation but I would be a bit upset if they got stolen.

Why all this is even discussed when we could use this time for training.

Then why are you even taking the time to have a friendly argument about this topic that you obviously know so much about when you could be using this time for training? Better get to it!

"Why all this is even discussed when we could use this time for training" also from IM homepage :)

Sounds like we've got the head of the IronMind fan club here, but seriously, I'm guessing that typing might be part of your active rest program, so that way you can type/talk/train at the same time, right? :grin:

wouldn´t say head of the fanclub, but definitely going to use my CoC´s, as other brands, to reach my goals on grippers :) Yep, definitely put blood flowing in index fingers :grin:

If you were doing this on a Blackberry, you'd probably be the new Blob king. :)

• Like 1

This is a known grip disease. :) I mean...who can own just one of each level? Hmmm....let's see. At best guess I think I have had somewhere between 5-9 #3's over the course of time and 3-5 #2's as examples.

GOPD . . . gripper obsession personality disorder?

Hey, I wonder if we can get the APA (American Psychological Association) to recognize that and then maybe all of us can hire a lobbying group, influence legislation . . . hey, we might be able to turn this into something big.

"Randy used to use the analogy of uncalibrated barbell plates. Guys scoffed at that. I have a 45 lb plate that weighs 49 pounds, and one that weighs 44. These days, it seems like a valid analogy.

I don't think this was the case (the scoffing part). I think it was more like agreement (I myself agreed that was very valid) when he said this the first time. If anyone has a really old IM catalog in the 90's it would be interesting to see the wording used about the #3. I don't remember what it was exactly but I am pretty sure it was not along these lines.

I found my oldest catalog, 1999, it may have been the first time the analogy was used, but it was there. It was a Q and A, in answer to a friend of the writer's older gripper feeling harder than a current one.A few months before then, I remember commenting to my brother that I found some variances in a couple of number 2s, and he encouraged me to contact IronMind. I didn't. But, I think that catalog may have been the first time the subject was addressed to the Public at large, because it was a partial answer to what I was wondering, and I don't think I had seen it addressed in the earlier catalog (my first one was from 1998 and I didn't save that one). Looking back at what was written, 13 years later, it reads well.

I was referring to early 90's. Maybe Randy has a copy but the wording had quite the opposite tone (I think).

Sorry, but what's the exact question? I'd be happy to look it up when I get back to the office (I'm in Turkey right now).

In the older IronMind catalogs I think the #3 was put on a pedestal specifically as a gripper. Like it was special. I don't remember the wording and my memory is too murky on it. I was wondering about the odd posting times...I was like what the heck...I thought you were a vampire out in California or something given how early in the morning California time it would be. :)

I wonder if this might be what you are remembering (and I'm flattered that you do!): along with that uncalibrated plate analogy we explained that we watched the No. 3 especially closely even back in those early days—you might remember that when IronMind first started selling grippers, although really good, they had not yet come close the consistency level we've reached over the years. Because the No. 3 was such a well-known benchmark, though, it always got preferential treatment . . . hope that didn't foster sibling rivalry :)

I suspect that is what Bill is remembering, as the 1999 catalog that I referred to did say exactly what Randy just mentioned ("...the No. 3 and No. 4 grippers are monitored especially closely for consistency, since they are our benchmark grippers").