Baseline Hand Dynamometer

Alawadhi

Not to hijack this thread, but what do you look for in a dynometer? Are they pretty much created equal or is there a recommended brand/model?

Brandname Baseline seem to be the most favoured ones. They are expensive, I only ever got to try one, that went up to 200 lbs, several years ago when I was seeing a chiropractor. He tested his patients with one.

Most doctors use "Jamar". We have a MD on the board who is a dyno freak (as in he has quite a collection of them). Curious what he says about the brands. There may be an old post where he discusses them. Riotgrip I think...

Also, the "spring" dynos are less popular than the "hydraulic" style. They are also much less money.

I took my baseline over to the Powerlifting push pull comp last weekend to try and interest people in doing the grip comp. I don't think I saw any pulls over 160 except for mine which was 250. Not my best but within 5# of it. I think Paul can do a bit better if he knows what I did. :)

- Aaron

Powerlifters got max 160lb? Wow thats somethig, i thought average strong powerlifters get 90+kg (198lb+). So Aaron when you squeeze it do you just squeeze or focus on last two fingers/first two fingers most? I focus my pressure on the first two fingers

Powerlifters got max 160lb? Wow thats somethig, i thought average strong powerlifters get 90+kg (198lb+). So Aaron when you squeeze it do you just squeeze or focus on last two fingers/first two fingers most? I focus my pressure on the first two fingers

I try to use the whole hand to squeeze. It's so rare that I try it I don't have anything special to my attempts. Maybe once every couple years in a situation like this where I am trying to get others interested in grip. I prefer grippers myself over the baseline.

- Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike! The Baseline and the Jamar are virtually identical in their readings. The company I buy them from new sells both brands and mfr. the Baseline there. I've seen the literature where both brands tested on hundreds of people have no significant difference. Personally I've conservatively tested over 400 people and keep records by age and gender. What I like about it is that you can measure up to a pound difference. You can go on YouTube and look up dynamometers and find a number of people there. Look under "Bay Area Senior Games dynamometer" and you can see a number of people, mostly over 50 closing the dyno.

• 2 weeks later...

I will when I have time as I am not a free man. I am at the office right now. Maybe tonight maybe tomorrow who knows.

maybe never, who knows whether you have ever managed to 83kg? because they would have to 83kg can easily close a coc 2.5.

and at a normal 90kg coc3 also quite easy, I'll bet she can not even with two hands to make the connection goes black naddel until the end!

but other services do not themselves challenged times coc3 or create something which is really ridiculous especially if you train them!

I haven't had time to post here in a while but thought I'd chime in as Alawadhi and I are personal friends and probably the ONLY grip fanatics in our country.

Carfman, I've read your posts around the forum. Other than being generally distasteful and hard to understand (because you are clearly, shamelessly using google translator - to the ultimate taxation of my reading skills), you are extraordinarily belligerent. I haven't a clue what provoked Alawadhi to send you a gripper in the first place, but its entirely unsurprising to me that you could not videotape it closed upon unpacking.

Alawadhi already posted a video on the thread, so I don't really have to say much to back him up. Unlike you, he is not making ridiculous claims and can substantiate those he makes. I can assure you that that IS him - he is very strong despite his youth and gripper-challenged hands (in that he tends to be much stronger on non-gripper activities).

In defence of my grip buddy,

S.C.

• Like 1