Unbending A Horseshoe

Mike Rinderle

I wonder how many times you could go back and forth before it broke...

Nice job Mike! Yeah, it's annoying when you bend something, and people ask " neat, but can you bend it back???"

• Like 1

When you bend steel doesn’t it get harder to bend back? Like cold working steel makes it stronger. The first bend back is the hardest and then it seems to get weaker after that until it fails. I have some experience with paperclip bending and have noticed it. :chris:

When you bend steel doesn’t it get harder to bend back? Like cold working steel makes it stronger. The first bend back is the hardest and then it seems to get weaker after that until it fails. I have some experience with paperclip bending and have noticed it. :chris:

Horseshoes work harden worse than any other thing I've ever bent. But you have to let them cool for awhile (at least an hour - about 24 to get the full effect). This one had been in a heart for months, so I think that's why it started kinking in a totally different place. The steel was probably stronger where it had bent before. I would guess if you just went back and forth right from the start it would just keep heating up until it eventually snapped. This was just an ultralite 2 though, so no big deal really... just a fun little exercise.

Most steel work hardens to some degree. Stainless especially.

I wonder how many times you could go back and forth before it broke...

Yea, but I get that question 10X more than any other. Pretty maddening really. I usually just say, I can bend back anything you can bend and leave it at that. :getlost::grin:

Sorry I didn’t mean to piss you off with my question. Your video just got me thinking about how many bends the shoe could take before it fails/snaps and I put up my thoughts for some strange reason.

I wasn't questioning your strength with the comment. I have great respect for you and your videos!

Sorry I didn’t mean to piss you off with my question. Your video just got me thinking about how many bends the shoe could take before it fails/snaps and I put up my thoughts for some strange reason.

I wasn't questioning your strength with the comment. I have great respect for you and your videos!

Bro, I didn't take it that way at all. Sorry if I sounded like I was snapping. Wasn't my intention. Just driving and posting. :flowers:

Bro, I didn't take it that way at all. Sorry if I sounded like I was snapping. Wasn't my intention. Just driving and posting. :flowers:

I see what I did now. oops. That last part was supposed to be in response to Carl's post, not yours. My bad. That did sound like a douchy comeback. I apologize buddy. :blush :blush

Driving and posting! That’s worse than dirking and driving dude! I kid. Im glad that was not at me. My tears are finaly stoping.

Any way bending something huge like a horse shoe to the point of it breaking would probably be a really bad idea. Putting on that much pressure and then have it snap would hurt & probably injure someone.