Axle Fun, ~400#

daniel reinard

Is the axle a full 2'' in diameter, or is it more like 1.9''?

2" exactly. I believe the ends are turned down slightly so all plates will fit, but not sure. The IM axle weighs 33#.

I believe that some of the homemade ones are 1.9" being made from plumbing pipe.

Is the axle a full 2'' in diameter, or is it more like 1.9''?

2" exactly. I believe the ends are turned down slightly so all plates will fit, but not sure. The IM axle weighs 33#.

I believe that some of the homemade ones are 1.9" being made from plumbing pipe.

Yea the pipe axles (of which I am a user) are 1.92" outside diameter. The standard that is used in contests and Daniel uses in this vid is an IronMind Apollons Axle, which is 2" in diameter.

It make a difference of 0.314159292035399'' to the circumference. More than 3/10"

I don't think anyone is arguing that. I know I can pull 15 - 20 lbs more on my pipe axle than I can on a legitimate IM axle. But then again, it cost $200+ less. :D

I'm getting a 2" axle from Silverback ($100 including shipping) as soon as I can scrape a couple nickles together.

It make a difference of 0.314159292035399'' to the circumference. More than 3/10"

I don't think anyone is arguing that. I know I can pull 15 - 20 lbs more on my pipe axle than I can on a legitimate IM axle. But then again, it cost $200+ less. :D

I'm getting a 2" axle from Silverback ($100 including shipping) as soon as I can scrape a couple nickles together.

I agree. Having touched an axle now and owning a pipe it's about that much of a difference. But I think the key is price and that its training gains are the same to a real axle.

I am learning some things at the local welding steel shop in Flagstaff. “Pipe” is inside diameter measurements. A 1.5" pipe has an outside diameter of 1.92" close enough to 2". Tubing is measured by the outside diameter, so if you got 2" tubing it would be 2"

I got a 2" round bar of HRS and it is 2" outside exact and is solid. A 7foot length is about 75 pounds. The only catch is that about 98% of Olympic plates will fit on it. 2% (the 2% is a guess based on my limited # of plates I have) of Olympic plates are too close to having a 2" hole and don’t fit on well. I had 2 plates I had to file. One troy and 1 CAP. all the other caps I had had no problem. The Troy was 1 25# plate by itself at a used store….I bet it was sold by itself because it had a small hole. The cap just had a few lumps of steel that I quickly filed. The Troy was an hour of fileing!

I am learning some things at the local welding steel shop in Flagstaff. “Pipe” is inside diameter measurements. A 1.5" pipe has an outside diameter of 1.92" close enough to 2". Tubing is measured by the outside diameter, so if you got 2" tubing it would be 2"

I got a 2" round bar of HRS and it is 2" outside exact and is solid. A 7foot length is about 75 pounds. The only catch is that about 98% of Olympic plates will fit on it. 2% (the 2% is a guess based on my limited # of plates I have) of Olympic plates are too close to having a 2" hole and don’t fit on well. I had 2 plates I had to file. One troy and 1 CAP. all the other caps I had had no problem. The Troy was 1 25# plate by itself at a used store….I bet it was sold by itself because it had a small hole. The cap just had a few lumps of steel that I quickly filed. The Troy was an hour of fileing!

Yep, you got it. Most Oly plates will fit a 2" OD. Most Bumper plates however will not fit. I've also heard that good machined plates like York will often not fit a 2" OD bar. So as long as you are not using bumpers or Yorks you are prolly good to go.

- Aaron

Eleikos, Usaeka, York, and Werksan bumpers will NOT fit - some cheap bumpers will fit. The older machined steel York's will Not fit, the newer York's will fit "usually". About half of my Barbell and CAP Generic plates will not fit. Depends on what plates you own I guess weather its worth the hassle. In my case I'd either go with pipe or get the ends turned down.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW Dan! I saw this video a week or so ago and never was able to comment on it. That is an awesome axle deadlift my friend! You pulled that with ease too. Very well done. Did you ever try to do a partial hook grip on an inch dumbell?

WOW Dan! I saw this video a week or so ago and never was able to comment on it. That is an awesome axle deadlift my friend! You pulled that with ease too. Very well done. Did you ever try to do a partial hook grip on an inch dumbell?

Thanks Bean! I can barely touch middle finger to thumb on an inch so there is no overlap. I get a half inch or so of overlap on an axle which makes for some fun. That pull was really easy and I should have made it a oly DL PR session but I didn't. Should of sensed the groove but instead I went and climbed after that shot. I just wanted to try 400# on the axle. :upsidedwn

I doubt if even Felix or Pfister could hook grip the handle of an Inch dumbbell. 2 3/8'' is a lot bigger than 2'' When it comes to circumference.

I doubt if even Felix or Pfister could hook grip the handle of an Inch dumbbell. 2 3/8'' is a lot bigger than 2'' When it comes to circumference.

I don't know, it only takes a smidge of hook to make all the difference. It defeats the purpose of the feat but for the context of the question....Chad maybe? Felix has long hands too I believe.

Edited by daniel reinard