Why Do You Think Should Be Added On Record And Stats

eduard23

What are we all wrist sensitive around here? How does lifting a block weight hurt your wrist? Keep your wrist strait build your thumb strenght and don't let your fingers hold all the weight. Your toes are what everyone should be worried about.

Rico

We were talking about lifts with an actual hex dumbell by the face rather than a sawed off hex head.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jedd Johnson

• eduard23

• Shoggoth

• FrankD

I agree that the 2 35's should be added. Also, could we have a section for blockweight in addition to the 50lb Blob/Blob 50 and 1/2 of a hex 100? Such as lower amounts starting a certain weight leading up to the 50lbers and above. I know alot of people don't have blockweights and as Heath says above, lifting the actual dumbell in this fashion is tough on the wrists, but why not have one anyhow? It may spark some interest in trading implements with other board members. Just an idea.

There is a list for hex block weights. Were you looking for lighter ones to be listed?

Jedd I didn't even realize those were there. Thanks for pointing that out.

What are we all wrist sensitive around here? How does lifting a block weight hurt your wrist? Keep your wrist strait build your thumb strenght and don't let your fingers hold all the weight. Your toes are what everyone should be worried about.

Rico

We were talking about lifts with an actual hex dumbell by the face rather than a sawed off hex head.

Oh my fault, I missed that point, I didnt know that was a tough one on the wrists. I dont have any dumbells so I really never tried lifting like that.

I just stand the dumbell up, grab the top and pull. My wrist is at about a 90 degree angle when lifting a dumbell.

Maybe my wrists are just sensative, poor little things. :(

What about 16kg dumbbell pinched in the round end opposite to the handle? Like this:

Edited by Grip_noob

Ahhh so a hex dumbbell dead lift is lifting a whole hex by its face or (top). Just the 1/2 hex is a blob type lift then. Am I getting this right.

Then there is that whole hex double blob lift stunt.

Vides of some of this would be good for the fledgling gripsters like myself. :online

I haven't had pain on that exercise on that whole hex dumbell lift..It has been a favorite of mine for the last month for working the wide pinch. Im on the 45lb, I want that 50 lber soon!

Edited by BGally

Ahhh so a hex dumbbell dead lift is lifting a whole hex by its face or (top). Just the 1/2 hex is a blob type lift then. Am I getting this right.

Then there is that whole hex double blob lift stunt.

Vides of some of this would be good for the fledgling gripsters like myself. :online

Rich - yes you are right. I have a half of an 80lb and half of 90lb hex dumbell that I bought here on the gripboard. For those two, I grip them lik a blob. I am still working on the 45lber but have lifted the other one a lot in training. I also have a 40 pound full hex dumbell that you would stand straight up and lift it by its face. I feel this is harder to do then lifting the half 80. Maybe it stretches the tendons ligaments out more? I have read in other posts that it is a risky lift as well.

On the sledge coin DL - we should probably specify handle length and how that is measured. I have handles that are 31" and some that are 32.5" - quite a difference in what I can do with them. Maybe just specify 31" and use a mark on the handle if it's longer would be easiest.

I was going to ask where to find the rules for the new sledge lift. Length of course and then do you have to set it down without the coin coming off? In the medleys you just have to load it but I know the DFW guys were doing one where you had to keep the coin on even when setting it down. I wasn't clear on which rules we were using.

I got started and then interrupted. I like the idea of keeping it on the entire time from floor, to "lockout" to the floor without it coming off. Thoughts?

I got started and then interrupted. I like the idea of keeping it on the entire time from floor, to "lockout" to the floor without it coming off. Thoughts?

I kind of like just loading it to something - setting it down is tough even with a very light controllable hammer - the bump, no matter how light tends to knock it off.

I kind of like just loading it to something - setting it down is tough even with a very light controllable hammer - the bump, no matter how light tends to knock it off.

I'd agree with Chris, especially since we ride it down on all the other events (axle, 2HP, vbar, etc..). How is "lockout" going to be defined for the sledge? I think loading it on to an object with a minimum height will be easier to judge.

Here is one of my attempts for sledge DL-

Coin falls off at the end. I find this can be random, it is stayed on with harder attempts and fell off with easier attempts. Lockout is also tough, as you would have full leg extension plus maybe parallel hammer to judge?

At MGC, I have judged this as loading to a predetermined height, with coin having to be on the head when hammer touches the platform. I am game for whatever though.

Good points. It would suck to do this 4 times on a PR-level hammer and have the coin bounce off every time.

Let's choose a height to load to. A certain number of inches? Above knee height?

Don't want to go too high of a pre-determined height because some will be too short to reach that point.

Good points. It would suck to do this 4 times on a PR-level hammer and have the coin bounce off every time.

Let's choose a height to load to. A certain number of inches? Above knee height?

Don't want to go too high of a pre-determined height because some will be too short to reach that point.

Most chairs are about 18" high to the seat - most everyone has a chair of some kind they could use???

How does this look for rules on kettlebell lifting? Anything else needed or missing?

Rules:

The Kettlebell must be gripped by the bottom of the kettlebell.

No part of the fingers or thumb should contact any numbers, letters or other insignia on the kettlebell.

If the kettlebell is coated in rubber or some other covering that enables a better grip, it will not be added to the list.

All effort possible to maintain a pure lift of the kettlebell using open hand / pinch strength is appreciated, meaning keep tilting to a minimum.

20-lb Kettlebell Deadlift

12-kg Kettlebell Deadlift

30-lb Kettlebell Deadlift

16-kg Kettlebell Deadlift

Fat Bar stuff would be good to add, pretty easy to judge too. I would think the sledge stuff would be a nightmare for judges.

The Hex dumbell deadlift is rough on wrists, pretty easy to strain some stuff there.

How about a Rolling Thunder lift? Pretty standard, I suppose. We could break it down by every 20-lbs, maybe, starting at 200?

200, 220, 240, 260, 280, 300?

Thoughts?

What about 16kg dumbbell pinched in the round end opposite to the handle? Like this:

I didn't watch the whole video, but did you actually mean to write 16-kg kettlebell?

On the sledge coin DL - we should probably specify handle length and how that is measured. I have handles that are 31" and some that are 32.5" - quite a difference in what I can do with them. Maybe just specify 31" and use a mark on the handle if it's longer would be easiest.

For the week I did this on the Grip Strength Challenge, i said to mark 25 inches from the head of the sledge and stay behind the line.

My preference is to require a measurement, requiring at least a 31 inch handle, and grip it at the end, though, but I am open to feedback on this one. Thoughts?

Most chairs are about 18" high to the seat - most everyone has a chair of some kind they could use???

We would have to require a measuring of the implement on video though. Sound reasonable everybody? 18-inch loading surface, measured on video, and the coin must stay on once loaded? Cool?

How does this look for rules on kettlebell lifting? Anything else needed or missing?

Rules:

No part of the fingers or thumb should contact any numbers, letters or other insignia on the kettlebell.

If the kettlebell is coated in rubber or some other covering that enables a better grip, it will not be added to the list.

All effort possible to maintain a pure lift of the kettlebell using open hand / pinch strength is appreciated, meaning keep tilting to a minimum.

I didn't watch the whole video, but did you actually mean to write 16-kg kettlebell?

Yes, it was just a dumb typo.

On the 12kg kettlebell it would be very hard to hold it without touching any of the lettering or numbers, at least on the ones we have in my gym. Is this rule really necessary, don't think it makes much of a difference, but maybe I'm wrong?

Rules:

Yes, it was just a dumb typo.

On the 12kg kettlebell it would be very hard to hold it without touching any of the lettering or numbers, at least on the ones we have in my gym. Is this rule really necessary, don't think it makes much of a difference, but maybe I'm wrong?

Good question. I was just throwing it out there. I have never tried to lift one. I was just thinking that it would make it easier if you stuck your finger/thumb on the text.

Good question. I was just throwing it out there. I have never tried to lift one. I was just thinking that it would make it easier if you stuck your finger/thumb on the text.

Theres probably a lot of different kettlebell designs out there, but the ones they have in both gyms I train, the kettlebells have the lettering/numbering indented in to the kettlebell with round edges, so I don't think that you get any advantages from holding over it. The big difference between the two different kettlebell design I have access to, is the surface and how big and flat the sides are, this area http://oi52.tinypic.com/34dk84o.jpg if my description isn't good enough :)

The 12kg is easy, so if it should be on the record list, I think it should be a 12kg kettlebell + extra weight list.

Edited by Grip_noob

I would prefer the coin being able to come off after contact.

Funny thing though, I did the hammer lift to a 23" platform and the coin never came off because that was about as high I could lift the hammer on my tiptoes- in other words if the platform is at the height of the apex of your lift there will be no negative to worry about momentum bouncing the coin off. The coin coming off will be harder for taller guys who would naturally lift the hammer higher for a normal deadlift.

31 inch handle is fine. At my contest I settled at a mark in front of the hand because if you go from a line behind the hand, guys with bigger hands would have a leverage advantage. I don't want to get into that argument here, so whatever is fine with me. I suppose the 31" is the standard for levering to the face, I just wrote the rules I did because there was no pre-established standard.

Agree with Bob. The coin staying on once loaded is the same as the coin staying on once contacting the floor. As long as the coin is on when the hammer makes contact with the surface of the 18" loading platform is what it should be IMO.