Slim Farman - York Museum Induction

Jedd Johnson

Directions to Niko's -

Take Route 83 South, to the Mt. Rose exit, turn Left at top of exit, go up the hill to Cape Horn Road (Rt. 24), turn right, go about 1 mile, turn left onto Windsor Road, go thru Windsor, to Route 74 South, turn left onto 74. Go about 6 miles, we are in a Strip Mall on the right.

Guys, this was a great event. I am processing video for the entire ceremony today and will have it uploaded as soon as I can.

I am happy to say that I was fortunate enough to accomplish a Double Inch Dumbbell Deadlift. My video camera was in my car at the time and I was unable to repeat it.

My feat was promptly forgotten about when ol' Andrew Durniat did a Double Inch Farmers Walk of an estimated 40+ feet. He strolled with them, dropped them at failure, turned around and brought them back (dropping them maybe ten feet short of the original starting point).

A tape measure was pulled from a vehicle, but as far as I know NO ONE measured it. It was the most awesome thing I have ever seen. Andrew completed a WORLD CLASS feat, nearly repeated it, and then he just went about his business trying other stuff. Awesome man.

I got both walks on video. 40+ feet is just an estimate. It may have been 50+ but it definitely seemed shorter than the distance from a pitching rubber to home plate, which is 60' 6".

Again, I will have everything uploaded to YouTube as soon as I can. it will take me several hours but if you'd like to watch it all, check out my YouTube Channel - Jedd Johnson - or DieselCrew.com.

All the best!

Jedd

Jedd said it right. The whole event exceeded my expectations which were already high.

I witnessed Jedd's double inch deadlift. I believe he actually did it twice, a few minutes between lifts, and they were solid lifts. His intensity is awesome.

As I was setting up the equipment for the grip challenge Andrew walks up to an Inch and casually lifts it with no chalk or warmup. Then he asks for a cleared path so he can go for a stroll and walked them for a distance. The grip challenge was more for fun than a competition so we didn't stress the importance to measure the distance, however, I agree with Jedd's estimates. Here are the videos:

We also had the Hercules Bar, York Barbell's rotating thickbar, loaded to 340 lbs. and the challenge was to deadlift it for reps. Andrew says to me that he would be really impressed if someone could do one repetition. I have done 275 lbs. before with plenty in the tank so I figured I'd give it a shot. I didn't lift it off the ground. A few others tried and a couple people did 1-2 reps on it. Andrew did a powerful 15 reps.

I also had the opportunity to tour the Hall of Fame with Slim while he told me stories about the pictures and equipment that are of the Mighty Atom and one of his hammers that he loaned to York Barbell. He told me some incredible stories that I won't forget. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity to spend that time with him.

I also have some videos of the induction ceremony that I will have to edit to get them on youtube but Jedd will likely beat me to it.

Overall it was an amazing day. I can't wait for next year. Thanks to all who came out.

Edited by Brian L

Also, a big thanks to Jedd and Wayne for bringing their Inch dumbbells and blobs for everyone to play with. These items were a huge addition to the grip challenge.

As I was setting up the equipment for the grip challenge Andrew walks up to an Inch and casually lifts it with no chalk or warmup.

lol when he did that I walked over to him and I was like, ''Dude, have you ever tried that before?!'' I didn't know who Andrew was :blush . Jedd's double Inch lift was sick as well. Fun day.

Slim didn't perform but he did make a speech. Here is the first of three videos of the whole ceremony:

Slim didn't perform but he did make a speech. Here is the first of three videos of the whole ceremony:

Thanks. Look forward to the other two. Dennis was caught mid-sentence on his best double hammer lift of - - -Hope that is on the next one!

Thanks,

Thanks. Look forward to the other two. Dennis was caught mid-sentence on his best double hammer lift of - - -Hope that is on the next one!

Thanks,

No problem and sorry on the delay for part 2/3. It's available now and Slim's speech is in part two.

Edited by Brian L

69.5lbs. Insanity. Dennis also talks about his 53lb. lever at the dinner he did at age 76. I would just like to add that Slim talked to me and Chaz about that later and he said he did that performance totally cold. He hadn't lifted in months. Does anyone think his lever ability will ever be matched?

Also, the Grip Sport handout was an excellent idea to educate the attendants on what we do. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to pick one up so I look forward to the PDF version.

Thanks for posting the videos. It was great to feel like you at least saw some of what you missed. It was an unexpected treat and I appreciate it!

Wayne, about Slim's lack of preparation at the AOBS, Mrs. Slim told me the morning after his performance that she had told him to start working out. I think he may have worked out a few times after she brought it up. It was as if he needed permission to do it, as he had been a full-time care provider for her, and was not doing anything on the personal fitness front. I think more than anything, that may have given him a couple of weeks to mentally prepare for what he did, but I don't believe he actually decided until perhaps two hours before he performed.

I think Clint Eastwood could have made a good movie about Slim. Don't know who they could get to play Slim, perhaps a 60 year old (not 80 year old) Eastwood could have pulled it off. I think Slim is one of a kind and a great story.

Wayne, about Slim's lack of preparation at the AOBS, Mrs. Slim told me the morning after his performance that she had told him to start working out. I think he may have worked out a few times after she brought it up. It was as if he needed permission to do it, as he had been a full-time care provider for her, and was not doing anything on the personal fitness front. I think more than anything, that may have given him a couple of weeks to mentally prepare for what he did, but I don't believe he actually decided until perhaps two hours before he performed.

Yeah thats pretty much how he described his situation now. He said he would like to work out a little but he just can't leave his wife. He said something like, ''It's frustrating cause my arms are just turning into fat''. He held out his arm and told Chaz to feel it. He felt his arm and just looked at me with this look and I knew what he was going to say before he said it. His arm was rock hard.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah thats pretty much how he described his situation now. He said he would like to work out a little but he just can't leave his wife. He said something like, ''It's frustrating cause my arms are just turning into fat''. He held out his arm and told Chaz to feel it. He felt his arm and just looked at me with this look and I knew what he was going to say before he said it. His arm was rock hard.

haha yup, his arms were solid, Slim is the man, and also very intimidating. I was just about to bend a bar when i noticed Slim walked up and was watching me. I went to hand it to him and he looked at me, made a fist and said "Do you want one of these?!" . I was scared and humbled at the same time. Great experience.