Does Anyone Bend Du Anymore?

SHRUG

Hey guys,

I have been away from the board for a very long time. From time to time I have poked my head in and taken a look around just to see what was happening in the world of grip from a source that I used to call home. Anyway, I have noticed that DU bending is basically a thing of the past completely. It is almost as if it only existed in a fairy tale or something. When I started bending, I had no idea what the heck I was doing, and I kind of developed my own style based on what I thought felt natural. Turned out that it was DU bending and I did not even know it was a "real" style until I started to get deeper into the game. I continued to use this style, and used it to cert on the IM Red nail and so on and so forth. I have decided to start bending again, how serious I will get my second time around remains to be seen. I plan on just starting back at it and having fun. Will I get carried away, probably. Anyway my point is this. DO bending is all well and good, but it is a different animal all together. I have messed around with it in the past and it just straight up does not tax the wrists like DU, or Reverse Style does. Again I am not trying to say it is bad or wrong or anything like that. I am just wondering why DU has seemed to have died off?

SHRUG

Upsidedown DO largely replaced DU IMO. Not the same of course but you get the power of DO without getting kicked off your high horse. People love it!

Upsidedown DO largely replaced DU IMO. Not the same of course but you get the power of DO without getting kicked off your high horse. People love it!

Hahaha!

Well nowadays there is a clear distinction between modified DU (upside down DO) and traditional DU (close grip). People understand the difference and the bends are judged accordingly with different cert lists.

I'd like to say that DU bending is as big as ever. If not bigger

Hey, thanks for the replies guys. Ben, thanks for the vote of confidence bro. Like I said in my original post, I am just getting back into this. And again like I said, will I get carried away? The answer to that question is a very probable yes. I don't seem to be able to do anything casually or half way. I hope to have good success with bending my second time around.

SHRUG

How many techniques are there in bending? I know of 3 so far, Holle style, terminator style and now double underhand. out of those 3 I find Holle style to be the strongest. What do you guys think?

Shrug good to see you buddy. I'm probably in the minority and while I respect everyone's opinions I've always been partial to the strict double underhand and the reverse terminator style. To each there own though! I'm going to hit some bending as well. Hope the second time around is kind to me too! :) Good luck with your training bro,

Austin

Austin,

Good to hear from you man, geez talking to you guys again brings back old times when the gripboard used to have a chat room and we could talk shop and exchange ideas, those were the good old days. Anyway, yeah man, I am planning on attacking the sport again. I have been toying around with different kinds of lifting and armwrestling as well as some other things. The small town I live in is hardly a hub for serious weightlifters let alone anyone who even knows that armwrestling is an actual sport. Traveling to train is HARD for me with the price of gas and such so I figured bending needed to make a come back. The beauty of it is that I can do it in my apartment with some steel, a few terry cloth towels, some gym chalk, and some tunes! A nice low budget hobby, just what I need these days with pretty much everything else costing an arm and a leg.

SHRUG

The hardest part for me is going to be coming back at it slow. I am going to want to jump right in, and I know I have lost a lot off of what I used to be able to do. Hopefully I will be able to gain it all back and then some with hard persistent training. I am going to feel like a weak little kitten in the beginning.

SHRUG

How many techniques are there in bending? I know of 3 so far, Holle style, terminator style and now double underhand. out of those 3 I find Holle style to be the strongest. What do you guys think?

There's a whole bunch.

The best way to describe is to say that there are 3 main types, each with subgroups and subtypes that are variations of those main 3 styles.

Like the most popular style DO (double overhand) style. Now apart from the many different ways of wrapping it there is a substyle known as the slim style, which is pretty much to use modest wraps that touch in the middle and to have hands close together touching or almost touching. Slim style is a bit of an oddball style because it is very easy to cheat even if your hands and wraps are touching, so it has really not gotten much attention in terms of cert bends.

DU (double underhand) is the second main style. Again here you can use different wraps to alter the difficulty of the bend, all from double wraps to no wraps at all. DU is can be divided into two subgroups each with different styles of their own. At first there is the Modified style, which is wraps on the ends (sometimes referred to as the upside down DO). And then there is the traditional style, which means that hands should be close enough to almost touch. In the substyles of traditional DU is Ostlund bending, which is one of the videos from Chad R in one of the above posts. With Ostlund bending your hands must be fairly close, you must use IM pads which can not be wrapped around the bar, they must be held (like hotdog buns)

Thirdly there is the reverse style. Again with wraps all from doubles to barehanded. Reverse can also be divided into modified and traditional styles depending on if you have the wraps close or on the ends. Traditional reverse has a substyle called terminator style. Here your wraps must be touching and you can only use modest wraps, and arms must be held in a low position near the waist.

Apart from the 3 main styles are a few unique ones that differs from the main ones. There is the Heslep style, which is arms are held in front with only a slight bend in the elbows. wraps and hands close in the middle.

There is the Gazza style. This is a variation of the Heslep style. arms are free to bend, so the hands will be closer to the body. This one is typically performed while sitting down on a bench, with the arms and hands between the legs to ensure that no chest strength is involved, and obviously you can't use your legs to push on the ends during this style, this style is to be meant to be bent with wrist strength only.

There is the vertical style. Someone explained this one as an inverted reverse style. Nail is held in a vertical position at chest level. Each hand holds the bar with the thumbside of the hand pointing upwards.

I'm sure there are a few more oddball styles. But I have explained the most popular ones here.

But since they are usually hard to regulate with a set of rules, they are mostly just used for training purposes. Or when you're just goofing around having fun during a bending session.

Shrug-Thanks buddy I appreciate it. Does bring up some good memories doesn't it?

Dave-Great post and I echo your statement. I don't think one style is any better or more pure than another I just like the traditional styles. Not sure why, maybe its because its what I did and its what was popular when bending just started to take off. But I respect all styles.

Austin