NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hello,

I'm Alec. I've known of the Gripboard for awhile but never signed up until now. I've been doing grip training for...roughly 2 years now, maybe 3 or a little over 3, somewhat in tandem with when I started doing more strongman stuff.

I fell off the wagon a little bit with my job, new gym, started to pay for training (powerlifting/strongman) and having moved in with my soon-to-be wife this past year and planning a wedding, so I'm trying to get back on. I've started bouldering every now and then this the past year, I've done some steel bending, and I like a lot of the arm wrestling exercises and training implements.

I've decided it high time I start reaching some more notable feats in grip and steel bending, and my trainer knows I like doing grip and he actually thinks it's cool, but is also a little freaked out by the tendons in my arms whenever he does tissue work on me. 😆

My main goal is to mix strongman and climbing, as both speak to me in some capacity. I guess the idea of picking up and also climbing big rocks just tickles my brain the right way. Given my height and limb proportions, I can except that I'm not going to be competing at crazy levels in either sport, but I'd still like to be strong, fit, and seem somewhat competent in both sports.

Grip training fits in nicely with those climbing and strongman (maybe that's why I like both), as well as it being a path to let me stand out amongst the crowd in some capacity. Plus, it's fun. 😁

Hope to learn a lot from some of you legends that are on here!

• Like 5

My name is Niko, I'm 24, 6'2", and 185 pounds. I've been rock climbing for the past few years and have always been curious about grip strength training because of bouldering, but I never really trained, aside from using a hangboard for climbing. A few weeks ago, I found a gym with a Thomas Inch dumbbell and decided to see if I could lift it. To my surprise, I was able to lift it without too much difficulty. This sparked my interest in grip training, and I went down a rabbit hole, getting really excited about it. I found another gym that had all kinds of grip tools, like the IronMind 3in pinch and Rolling Thunder, where I was able to lift 225 pounds. The more I look into it, the more excited I get. Lately, I've been looking into blobs and been wanting to find one or meet someone in my area with some. i guess a goal would be able to pull a 100 blob.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, sextoy1 said:

My name is Niko, I'm 24, 6'2", and 185 pounds. I've been rock climbing for the past few years and have always been curious about grip strength training because of bouldering, but I never really trained, aside from using a hangboard for climbing. A few weeks ago, I found a gym with a Thomas Inch dumbbell and decided to see if I could lift it. To my surprise, I was able to lift it without too much difficulty. This sparked my interest in grip training, and I went down a rabbit hole, getting really excited about it. I found another gym that had all kinds of grip tools, like the IronMind 3in pinch and Rolling Thunder, where I was able to lift 225 pounds. The more I look into it, the more excited I get. Lately, I've been looking into blobs and been wanting to find one or meet someone in my area with some. i guess a goal would be able to pull a 100 blob.

Welcome…but who’s going to want to meet up with “sextoy?”😀

• Haha 7

7 hours ago, slazbob said:

Welcome…but who’s going to want to meet up with “sextoy?”😀

well if the users name ended with an "A" instead of an "O" I may be more inclined.

regardless welcome. And If you are lifting the inch, close a 3 and pull 225 on a RT you gotta post videos. And by a "100lbs blob" you mean a 50lbs right?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

well if the users name ended with an "A" instead of an "O" I may be more inclined.

regardless welcome. And If you are lifting the inch, close a 3 and pull 225 on a RT you gotta post videos. And by a "100lbs blob" you mean a 50lbs right?

I was wondering if that was still a rule since so many have lifted the Inch. Is the feat world class at this point?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WorksinaPinch said:

I was wondering if that was still a rule since so many have lifted the Inch. Is the feat world class at this point?

If you are making claims like that especially as a first post yes IMO. To back up what you say. Rock climbers are very strong so I don’t doubt it’s possible 

@Jedd Johnson answered the question earlier in the year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

If you are making claims like that especially as a first post yes IMO. To back up what you say. Rock climbers are very strong so I don’t doubt it’s possible 

@Jedd Johnson answered the question earlier in the year.

I want to see his video proof for sure! I consider it a threshold grip feat, as in, you are now allowed to sit at the big table, but not yet world class.

• Like 1

Sorry it only lets me post once a day but this is me pulling it, and yes I mean the 50 lb blob. I didn't get a video of me pulling 225lb on the RT I only pulled that to gauge if I'm able to do something else on the rolling thunder, but I'll go back and try to max it and see if I could get more. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sextoy1 said:

Sorry it only lets me post once a day but this is me pulling it, and yes I mean the 50 lb blob. I didn't get a video of me pulling 225lb on the RT I only pulled that to gauge if I'm able to do something else on the rolling thunder, but I'll go back and try to max it and see if I could get more. 

Nice lift, Niko! You noted 172lbs on the YT post. Is that 172 with the extra plates?
You should try to find a King Kong venue near you this October.

• Like 2

Thanks dude! And yes I think they said it was 171 and those are .5 plates. King Kong? Where could I see if there is one close to me? 

Edited by sextoy1

2 hours ago, WorksinaPinch said:

Nice lift, Niko! You noted 172lbs on the YT post. Is that 172 with the extra plates?
You should try to find a King Kong venue near you this October.

Thanks dude! And yes I think they said it was 171 and those are .5 plates. King Kong? Where could I see if there is one close to me? 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, sextoy1 said:

Link to King Kong on this site:

If you get on Jedd Johnson's weekly newsletter list you will see several more comps. Do King Kong, even if you don't have the specific implements for your first comp. I think a guy that boulders at 185 could have a really good comp 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sextoy1 said:

Yes that was a very impressive and level lift man. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, WorksinaPinch said:

Link to King Kong on this site:

If you get on Jedd Johnson's weekly newsletter list you will see several more comps. Do King Kong, even if you don't have the specific implements for your first comp. I think a guy that boulders at 185 could have a really good comp 👍

Awesome thanks dude! Just check the King Kong list unfortunately I didn't see any in Texas yet, But I'll sign up for the newsletter. Would be fun to go to one.

• Like 1

Hi. I'm Luke. My Grip training is primarily limited to grippers. I've been training a little over a year and made some considerable progress. I'm currently working towards my first Coc #3 at the moment.

For anyone interested, I'm 22 y/o, 5'9", and 140 lbs. 

It's great to be a member here on the Gripboard. I'm Excited to interact with you guys. I hope to learn a lot more and contribute my own experience as well. 

• Like 1