NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

2 hours ago, GripSquatch said:

My name is Lucas. I am 6’4” 224lbs. I have a basic lifting background from football and martial arts but recently got into more grip specific training. Still figuring out how much I can do per a week and recover/grow properly.

Welcome Lucas.. Less is always more until you figure out what works for you. What are your grip goals.. Grip sport? stronger grip for football/martial arts/lifting?

Hi all,

I've been on the Grip Training subreddit for about a year now. Training has taken me from barely being able to get a single rep on a CoC 1 to my best close being a Standard Platinum, currently working up to the 2.5 though it's a grind since I'm also trying to lose weight now which has made the progress seem to drop quite a bit.

I'm also training pinch and working toward the blob, picked up a Holle 24kg a while back but still need 2 hands to lift it.

Looking forward to learning more to help me progress!

-Nick

• Like 4

On 6/28/2024 at 3:52 PM, Blacksmith513 said:

Welcome Lucas.. Less is always more until you figure out what works for you. What are your grip goals.. Grip sport? stronger grip for football/martial arts/lifting?

Thank you. A bit of each but I’m most interested and focused on martial arts goals.

Name: Kasper
Height: 6'7"
Weight: 251 lbs

Background:

• Grip Training Experience: Started training with grippers at the age of 16 and continued until 25. Mostly focused on repetitions with grippers around CoC 2 strength.
  • Achievements: Successfully closed the CoC 3 twice, but not officially or using the credit card rule.
  • Competitive Experience: Background in arm wrestling.
  • Current Interests: Interested in developing grip strength in a more well-rounded manner but lacking experience with systematic grip training programs.
  • Specific Achievements: Lifted 209 lbs on the Rolling Thunder without thumb engagement and without dedicated training (never trained more than 3-week cycles for it).

Current Interests in Grip Strength:

• One-handed hangs with added weight
  • Extreme Fat Gripz one-handed deadlifts
  • One-handed deadlifts with a standard barbell
  • Establishing a consistent pinch lift routine
  • Like 3

Hello Kasper! Glad to have you with us, those are some impressive feats already!

Just a quick hello

My name is Bas(Bazza) from the netherlands

Right now i'm just having fun doing grip things, no real goals yet besides getting stronger

Hope to find some pointers here and have fun watching others lift and squeeze big numbers

Take care

• Like 3

Hello everyone 

My name is Jonathan and i'm a 25 year old concreter from Sweden.

I've gotten really hooked on grip training and are really interested in certifying on the crushed to dust challenge in the future.

The gripboard looks great and I'm glad to be here.

• Like 4

Hello everyone!

I'm from the UK and have been training grip for around a year now consistently. I have competed in a couple of local competitions and have a couple more lined up for this year. This includes UK based god's of grip competition 'Grip League Final'. 

I train grip alongside traditional strongman training but I really enjoy the grip specific lifts of rolling thunder and have recently become interested in hand grippers. Pinch style lifts are an area of weakness for me but it's something I'm working on.

Goals for the future:

1. Close a COC 3.5 (Currently on the 2.5 for ~4 reps)
  2. 120kg Saxon bar deadlift
  3. Certify 
  4. Compete in more competitions.
  5. Have fun along the way.

Looking forward to learning a lot from this community!

• Like 3

Welcome, @SamJack!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Background Info: I am a multi-sport athlete with over 35+ years of experience in strength and endurance related endeavors under my belt. I have competed as a novice, age group, and professional athlete, on regional, national, and global stages throughout the entire time.

Grip Strength: I am relatively new to grip strength [2+ months with official dedicated training now] and openly admit that I am now totally addicted to it. My current interests are hand grippers foremost, axle-bar deadlifting, and no doubt at some point, I'm sure Rolling Thunder will be added to the list - what can I say, I am an old school Milo guy from back in the day. Over two decades ago, I was able to close the #2 COC gripper for a few reps with absolutely no grip specific training except that of the weight training & stone lifting I was doing at the time. 

Goals: My overall main goal now at this stage of my life is to train specifically on increasing hand-gripping strength and to close the IronMind COC #3 hand-gripper.

• Like 4

Hi, my name is Bob, new to grip sport. Previously competed in other strength sports (Powerlifting, Highland games) but never did any serious grip work. 

Currently training for King kong grip in Oct. (First grip meet)

Looking forward to learning!

• Like 4

Hello,

Im in my mid 30s with 15 years strength/bodybuilding training experince. Got into grip training to get my grip back to and beyond where it were when working in heavy industry (moving 25kg+ steel ingots single handed in a pinch grip).

Mostly doing fat bar work and grippers. Looking to get my DO 50mm axle deadlift to some percentage of my mixed grip olympic. What percentage Idk whats a realistic goal yet. And i want to be able to close the CoC #3.

• Like 5

On 6/30/2024 at 1:22 PM, IMightBeWrong said:

Looking forward to learning more to help me progress!

-Nick

Welcome Nick!!!

• Like 1

I’m behind on this thread. Welcome newcomers! Let me know if there is ever anything I can do for you. :cannon: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cannon said:

Welcome Nick!!!

Thanks Matt! You and I have spoken via your CPW email. You’ve been super helpful, and my collection of rated and filed grippers that you’ve helped me put together has been extremely helpful.

-Nick

• Like 2

My almost complete grip journey. 

Height: 6'3.5 / 192 cm
Weight: 195-240 lbs. Current 220. 

Background:

• Strength training: I got a gym membership at age 16 and worked out regularly until the pandemic hit. I hit a 405 pound squat PR and 455 deadlift PR at 18 and a 330 pound bench press at 19. I also did a 660 pound rack pull without straps at 17. 
  • Introduction to grip training: Started training with grippers at the age of 22 /summer 2021 when I bought 4 grippers from eBay and a dynamometer. What sparked my interest was a TikTok where a guy walked around a gym and tested I people’s strength on a cheap Camry dynamometer. I remember the best result was around 160 lbs. I then received my 4 grippers (100-150-200-300 lbs). I could toy with the 200 straight away, but I lacked about .5 inch on the 300. Shortly after I received the grippers, I got my cheap Camry. I squeezed 182 pounds first time trying, and a week later, when I figured out the handle adjustment, it said error. 
  • Introduction to Captains of Crush: Having only 4 grippers and a dynamometer I maxed out quickly got boring. I then found out about captains of crush and bought a CoC #3 that I received in September 2021. I couldn’t close it and suspected that is was on the heavier side. I have since found out that it’s around 160 RGC. In October 2021 I received my #2.5 and could TNS it out of the box. In December 2021, received a new #3 and a #3.5. I was closer on the new #3, but still couldn’t quite do it. I got demotivated and stopped training grip. 
  • A new spark regarding grip training: August 2022, I bought a 250 lbs gripper from eBay and a new dynamometer that could go to 180 kg. Immediately hit 105 kg on it. I started doing assisted closes negatives with my easiest #3. 
  • The first #3 close: In late September 2022, I closed my easiest #3 for the first time. On October 16th, I closed it again, this time on video. 
  • Introduction to Cannon powerworks: In December 2022, I received my first pre rated grippers. 146 rated CoC 3, 162 rated Standard Cobalt and a 169 rated CoC 3.5. I could immediately close the 146 rated #3.
  • The major setback: On New Year’s Eve 2022/23, I slipped on the ice and hit the back of my head. I was unable to work and study for 6 months and couldn’t do any exercise for 4-5 months. 
  • The comeback: On march 25th 2023, I picked up my grippers and squeezed them lightly. With some warmup and no chalk, I closed my 146 rated #3. My doctor advised me against strength training and exercises so I didn’t pick up my grippers until late may 2023. After that I started doing them about once per week/every other week together with other gym work. 
  • Introduction to GM150: August 2023, I received my GM150. I had know about it for a while, but I couldn’t justify buying it. Until August 2023. I immediately hit 114 kg. At this time, my PR on my old dynamometer was 109 kg. About a week later, I hit 121 kg on the GM150. 
  • The journey since then: 
  • 162 cobalt MMS 6th October 2023
  • 126 kg GM150 21st October 2023
  • 150 kg bench press first time since January 2019
  • Surgery and 3 weeks without exercise
  • 169 #3.5 MMS November 2023
  • 131.60 kg GM150 2nd December 2023
  • 176 GHP 8 attempt December 2023. Missed it by 0.3 inch. 
  • Since 2024 my PRs are:
  • 160 kg bench press 
  • 7 clicks #3 146 RGC
  • 2 CCS #3 146 RGC 
  • 1 CCS #3 152 RGC
  • 133.0 kg GM150
  • Equipment:
  • 40+ grippers, 15 rated, 7 choked. Most cheap from China. + some other fun grip tools. 

Goals for 2024 and for life:

2024:

• GHP 8 176 RGC MMS
  • CoC #3 certification 
  • 140 KG GM150

Life:

• 180 KG bench press (by 2026)
  • 150+ KG GM150 (by 2026)
  • CoC #3.5 Certification (by 2028)
  • CoC #4 MMS (by 2029)
  • CoC #4 Certification (by 2039)

Routine:

Maximum 1 grip session per week. Warmup, then 3-5 top sets, then 3-4 sets on lighter grippers. 

Edited by Grepm.m
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, Grepm.m said:
  • 1 CCS #3 152 RGC
  • 133.0 kg GM150

My best-ever CCS close was RGC 153 (so, about the same as yours), but my best GM150 squeeze was only about 100kg (I have done 110 kg on Baseline Digital but i think maybe the GM150 is harder).  Point being, your raw crush at 133kg (292 pounds) is CRAZY strong and way ahead of your CCS by more than most folks, which leads me to believe you will indeed improve your wide set closes to the point of the IM 3 and 3.5 certs as you hope (and yes, maybe eventually the COC 4, just too early to tell that and you wisely see that as a longer-term goal; always silly when people show up here having just closed the 3 MMS and announcing they will definitely cert the 4 by next Friday lol).

15 hours ago, Cannon said:

I’m behind on this thread. Welcome newcomers! Let me know if there is ever anything I can do for you. :cannon: 

Me, too, so I just commented on the most recent introduction, but welcome and hello to all the recent newcomers!  Come to King Kong in October, folks!  It is a great way to start meeting the real folks behind these posts.  And hang here, where we can all learn from each other and plot our progress and competitions.

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Point being, your raw crush at 133kg (292 pounds) is CRAZY strong and way ahead of your CCS by more than most folks, which leads me to believe you will indeed improve your wide set closes to the point of the IM 3 and 3.5 certs as you hope (and yes

Thanks! I recently (2 days after my last grip session before I went on vacation) choked a cheap China gripper that’s thicker and feels harder than my 220 rated CoC #4. 

Next week I’ll rate it with my new arm assassin RGC device + crane scale and winch and then I’ll try it from parallel. 

I think my peak closing power is 200+ RGC, but my set is weak. The grippers always fall far back in my hand. 

Regarding the GM150, I think I’m capable of 135+ kg at the moment. I’ve lost 20 pounds of body weight since I have a 3K running bet with a colleague in September. Even though I have lost 20 pounds, I still hit new grip PRs. After that, I’ll try to hit 250-255 pounds BW and smash the GM150 (and 385 lbs bench press). 

The main reason for choking some of my grippers is to make them more like the handles on the GM150. My current plan is to use heavy choked grippers after my regular CCS top sets, and once a month just do choked ones. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Grepm.m said:

My almost complete grip journey. 

Height: 6'3.5 / 192 cm
Weight: 195-240 lbs. Current 220. 

Background:

• Strength training: I got a gym membership at age 16 and worked out regularly until the pandemic hit. I hit a 405 pound squat PR and 455 deadlift PR at 18 and a 330 pound bench press at 19. I also did a 660 pound rack pull without straps at 17. 
  • Introduction to grip training: Started training with grippers at the age of 22 /summer 2021 when I bought 4 grippers from eBay and a dynamometer. What sparked my interest was a TikTok where a guy walked around a gym and tested I people’s strength on a cheap Camry dynamometer. I remember the best result was around 160 lbs. I then received my 4 grippers (100-150-200-300 lbs). I could toy with the 200 straight away, but I lacked about .5 inch on the 300. Shortly after I received the grippers, I got my cheap Camry. I squeezed 182 pounds first time trying, and a week later, when I figured out the handle adjustment, it said error. 
  • Introduction to Captains of Crush: Having only 4 grippers and a dynamometer I maxed out quickly got boring. I then found out about captains of crush and bought a CoC #3 that I received in September 2021. I couldn’t close it and suspected that is was on the heavier side. I have since found out that it’s around 160 RGC. In October 2021 I received my #2.5 and could TNS it out of the box. In December 2021, received a new #3 and a #3.5. I was closer on the new #3, but still couldn’t quite do it. I got demotivated and stopped training grip. 
  • A new spark regarding grip training: August 2022, I bought a 250 lbs gripper from eBay and a new dynamometer that could go to 180 kg. Immediately hit 105 kg on it. I started doing assisted closes negatives with my easiest #3. 
  • The first #3 close: In late September 2022, I closed my easiest #3 for the first time. On October 16th, I closed it again, this time on video. 
  • Introduction to Cannon powerworks: In December 2022, I received my first pre rated grippers. 146 rated CoC 3, 162 rated Standard Cobalt and a 169 rated CoC 3.5. I could immediately close the 146 rated #3.
  • The major setback: On New Year’s Eve 2022/23, I slipped on the ice and hit the back of my head. I was unable to work and study for 6 months and couldn’t do any exercise for 4-5 months. 
  • The comeback: On march 25th 2023, I picked up my grippers and squeezed them lightly. With some warmup and no chalk, I closed my 146 rated #3. My doctor advised me against strength training and exercises so I didn’t pick up my grippers until late may 2023. After that I started doing them about once per week/every other week together with other gym work. 
  • Introduction to GM150: August 2023, I received my GM150. I had know about it for a while, but I couldn’t justify buying it. Until August 2023. I immediately hit 114 kg. At this time, my PR on my old dynamometer was 109 kg. About a week later, I hit 121 kg on the GM150. 
  • The journey since then: 
  • 162 cobalt MMS 6th October 2023
  • 126 kg GM150 21st October 2023
  • 150 kg bench press first time since January 2019
  • Surgery and 3 weeks without exercise
  • 169 #3.5 MMS November 2023
  • 131.60 kg GM150 2nd December 2023
  • 176 GHP 8 attempt December 2023. Missed it by 0.3 inch. 
  • Since 2024 my PRs are:
  • 160 kg bench press 
  • 7 clicks #3 146 RGC
  • 2 CCS #3 146 RGC 
  • 1 CCS #3 152 RGC
  • 133.0 kg GM150
  • Equipment:
  • 40+ grippers, 15 rated, 7 choked. Most cheap from China. + some other fun grip tools. 

Goals for 2024 and for life:

2024:

• GHP 8 176 RGC MMS
  • CoC #3 certification 
  • 140 KG GM150

Life:

• 180 KG bench press (by 2026)
  • 150+ KG GM150 (by 2026)
  • CoC #3.5 Certification (by 2028)
  • CoC #4 MMS (by 2029)
  • CoC #4 Certification (by 2039)

Routine:

Maximum 1 grip session per week. Warmup, then 3-5 top sets, then 3-4 sets on lighter grippers. 

Welcome, I enjoyed reading this!

Awesome to see you still pushing the limits after a bad injury. Looking forward to following your progress.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jared P said:

Welcome, I enjoyed reading this!

Awesome to see you still pushing the limits after a bad injury. Looking forward to following your progress.

Thank you!

I don’t enjoy going to the gym as much as I used to, so since 2019 it has been more of a routine than a passion.

I’ve always enjoyed getting stronger and setting PRs, but some back injuries from my youth put a stop to squats and deadlift and almost any heavy load on back taxing exercises. 

Working on my grip once again gives me the joy of getting stronger and setting PRs without putting my body on the line. 

Grip training on Sundays is the highlight of my (training) week. 

I’ve started doing some DIY regarding equipment and such, and that’s also been both fun and a learning experience. More specific I’ve tried and failed to make a RGC-device from wood and I’ve successfully made 7 choked grippers, with a CoC #4 up next. 

7972B670-1118-4183-B62B-7E6E6A4BEB84.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I've been inadvertently lurking for a bit and figured I should introduce myself.

My name is Kwai, from Edmonton, AB. I am 43 years old.

I have been training gripsport for just over a year now. I have been training and competing strongman for about 4 years, no real lifting experience before that.

I've had the pleasure of meeting a few of you already at various contests locally to me, as well as at the Olympia last Nov and the Arnold's this past March.

I train mostly at home. I started grip specific training due to an injury that took me out of strongman training for a while. Growing up on a farm and spending 20 years as a Heavy Equipment technician gave me a pretty good base to work with.

I started out with homemade impliments such as saxon, a 1 7/8" rolling handle, hub ect. but have slowly started to aquire official impliments to train on. I got a couple COC grippers for Christmas and wad able to close the #2 the first time I picked it up. Unfortunately,  that's where I've stayed so far.

My goals for this year are to stay in top 10 for the super series and get top 5 at the Olympia. I am also about to try and certify in the crushed to dust challenge (just can't quite get that 200lb on the RT haha). 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I'm late ahh but here is stuff about me 

Intro: I don't have any background when I started gripping, I used to barley close a plastic adjustable gripper. I used to think high reps would give me strenght so I did that for almost a year until I learned more about grippers and ratings. So I'm hoping to learn more here!

Name: Orlando 

Height: 6'1-2 

Body weight: 75kg 

Experience: training grippers for 1.5 years started taking it serious at the 10 months mark.

Current level:  coc 3 mms,2.5 tns, ccs somewhere in the 140s and 146 block set.

Goals, certify the 3 before 19, and some days cert the 4 😜

Hand size: 8.6 with a 3 inch thumb 

• Like 2

Spider Chalk here. Heard of Grip Board from several folks and wanted to see what it's all about. Glad I joined, the content it very high-quality. Happy to answer any questions about chalk since we manufacture. Look forward to joining future discussions!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Spider Chalk said:

Spider Chalk here. Heard of Grip Board from several folks and wanted to see what it's all about. Glad I joined, the content it very high-quality. Happy to answer any questions about chalk since we manufacture. Look forward to joining future discussions!

I love your chalk.

• Like 2

Got into grip after a sports injury.  Been doing it ever since.   I stick mostly to CoC, Rice bucket, and recently purchased a Gripzilla tornado.   I am working towards doing multiple reps of the CoC #2.   I would like to certify on the #3.   Looking forward to broadening my knowledge, exercises, and increasing my grip.

• Like 1