Solving The Gripper Rating Problem

Jedd Johnson

...oiling can make it that much easier. This I believe is the biggest difference

Hmm... that's good to know. I only use oil because the creaking sound was annoying... never thought that the difference in difficulty would be appreciable.

I have probably done several hundred grippers now and I can tell you I ain't doing ten on each!

I did at least into the 200 range too and I always did 2 separate calibrations on each gripper during that calibrating session. I just figured everyone did. If I got a different number the second time around I just averaged them in. Unless the number was pretty remarkably different (3lbs or more on a #3 for instance was my threshold) and then I did up to 5 separate calibrations on that particular gripper.

Great posting Mighty Joe. I want take part of this. I am using identical RGC-device. After 693 calibrated gripper I think there are 5 important things to remember:

1. Oiling, I use WD40

2. Using 1" strap

3. Use spreader like Dave and Greg use. No matter is it plastic or wood.

Only matter is that the strap dont touch the handles.

4. Use calibrated weights. Mine are +-0gram/+-10gram

5. When you mount the gripper and load weights, you have to move a little the UPPER handle up and down and side to side

and also load weight and then take weights of so you can see that all "weirdness" are gone away.

After that you can see the real result what the rating is.

Some gripper go more down when you oil and calibrate it, some dont go so much. More than 10 lbs variation I have seen.

Also some gripper brands drop down after 10-20 closes. Variation can be 20 lbs!

Also it would be nice to know who´s gripper has been calibrated. Here in Finland all grippers are in users name on the list.

Can somebody post the main people who have rated grippers? I can think of Chris Rice, Aaron Corcorran, Ben Edwards, Eric Milfeld. Who else has done 50 to 100 or more grippers AND provided rated grippers for contests?

I have done hundreds of ratings as well, and spent a great deal of time working on the process. I believe some of my ratings have been used in a contest, but have never personally organized a contest.

Some gripper go more down when you oil and calibrate it, some dont go so much. More than 10 lbs variation I have seen.

Also some gripper brands drop down after 10-20 closes. Variation can be 20 lbs!

Interesting, my #4 from the package 103.2kg, after oiling and 20 reps with my vise RGC = 93.4kg! :blink