Can I Certify?

MANTHOS

I would like to try to certify here on GB on 5/16' G5 bolts. The problem is that were I live the bolts have different marking on the head. So instead of the lines, they're marked with the numbers 8.8. Are these bolts equal to the common G5 bolts we see at certifications? Can I certify using the 8.8 bolts?

Thanks in advance.

I would like to try to certify here on GB on 5/16' G5 bolts. The problem is that were I live the bolts have different marking on the head. So instead of the lines, they're marked with the numbers 8.8. Are these bolts equal to the common G5 bolts we see at certifications? Can I certify using the 8.8 bolts?

Thanks in advance.

The 8.8(European) is the same grade a G5 but the dims. will be metric not imperial, so a 5/16" 8.8 will actually be an 8mm as opposed to a 7.9375mm, as it's a larger diameter, my call would be that it'd be ok for the cert but it's not down to me. ;)

Personally if it was up to me I would say no. The 8.8 bolt has been called the European G5 because of the similar strength. But it's still not a G5.

The G5 already exists in many different brands that vary in strength, and that's a problem we can't do anything about.

But to start including different type of bolts just because a few guys thought they felt similar, an estimation which in the end could turn out wrong, would only increase the variance even more.

Just my thoughts

Personally if it was up to me I would say no. The 8.8 bolt has been called the European G5 because of the similar strength. But it's still not a G5.

The G5 already exists in many different brands that vary in strength, and that's a problem we can't do anything about.

But to start including different type of bolts just because a few guys thought they felt similar, an estimation which in the end could turn out wrong, would only increase the variance even more.

Just my thoughts

These variations in G5 strength exist because the ASTM allows them! The ISO however, requires a set spec., so there will be less deviation in bolt strength and an 8.8 will be a "Hard"

G5 everytime.

It is not because they feel similar, they are, in fact, the European equivalent.

A4 stainless IS 316 stainless, a G5 bolt IS an 8.8 bolt, an inch IS 25.4mm...well you get the idea.

The grade is identical, save for the ASTM grading allowing for a greater deviation in yield, load and tensile strength than the ISO do.

As the strength is guaranteed to be top parameter G5 the only quibble I would have would be the dia. difference and so long as it's bigger than the Imperial equivalent then I see no problems.

The same way pinching 5 or 6 5kg plates will count for a 5 or 6 dime cert.

http://www.engineers...ntification.htm

http://www.americanf...kings_steel.asp

Probably the best thing to do is ask the guy that would approve/disapprove your bend. That guy is FrankyBoy :mosherhttp://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showuser=1782 BTW, I would be willing to trade some grade 5 bolts for some of your 8.8. :)

Just my thoughts

These variations in G5 strength exist because the ASTM allows them! The ISO however, requires a set spec., so there will be less deviation in bolt strength and an 8.8 will be a "Hard"

G5 everytime.

It is not because they feel similar, they are, in fact, the European equivalent.

A4 stainless IS 316 stainless, a G5 bolt IS an 8.8 bolt, an inch IS 25.4mm...well you get the idea.

The grade is identical, save for the ASTM grading allowing for a greater deviation in yield, load and tensile strength than the ISO do.

As the strength is guaranteed to be top parameter G5 the only quibble I would have would be the dia. difference and so long as it's bigger than the Imperial equivalent then I see no problems.

The same way pinching 5 or 6 5kg plates will count for a 5 or 6 dime cert.

http://www.engineers...ntification.htm

http://www.americanf...kings_steel.asp

That's probably correct. But I still wouldn't agree on it. From what I've gathered through experienced, uniformed tensile strength means very little when we're talking about bending. Higher tensile strength doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be harder to bend.

Of course I could be completely wrong. I've never bent a 8.8 bolt so I have no personal experience with that particular bolt. My concerns are that if we start to thumb on rules and we turn out to be wrong, then we've just diminished the efforts of those already on those lists.

I would very much prefer if we use solely G5s (1/4" or 5/16" in diameter) for a G5 cert.

It should be no problem to get the hands on these bolts.

If, for any reason, you are not able to get some, contact me.

Autolupus - Thank you my friend for the research and the info!

David - You know how much I respect your opinion my friend. I do not indent to do something less and demand something more.

Booyah - Thank you for the offer! I'll see what I've got and I'll pm you.

Frankyboy - I understand and I respect that. If I can't find some, I'll sure contact you.

Thank you all.

I would very much prefer if we use solely G5s (1/4" or 5/16" in diameter) for a G5 cert.

It should be no problem to get the hands on these bolts.

If, for any reason, you are not able to get some, contact me.

It's not too hard to get hold of G5s if certing is a priority, I was just saying that to all intents and purposes an 8.8 is a G5.

David - You know how much I respect your opinion my friend. I do not indent to do something less and demand something more.

I know you wouldn't do that. I know of your strength already so I know that you are strong enough for both the 8.8 and the G5

I would be up for trading some too. I want to try these 8.8s.

Derek I tried to pm you but it doesn't work. You might want to check it out.

I know you wouldn't do that. I know of your strength already so I know that you are strong enough for both the 8.8 and the G5

As I'm a new bender I feel very proud to be recognized by a bender of your class David. Thanks man!