Gripmas

jad

Gripmas 2010:

I look forward to Gripmas and hope to make it every year. Chris Rice combines the perfect blend of innovation and tradition in event selection. It is always a very well-run contest that reflects all the thought and hard work Chris invests. Many thanks to Chris and Teresa for their hospitality, great food, kindness and understanding-I always feel like a part of the family when I visit.

Sean Dockery is always an excellent judge and his new Inch Trainer dumbbell design was a work of art in beauty as well as functionality.

Open Class

Andrew Duriant – another stellar performance as he has eliminated his weaknesses and appears destined for long-term greatness

Brent Barbe – continues to improve at an amazing rate. It is obvious that he has made great changes in his mental approach. I think he could lift the Inch now.

John Eaton – still incredibly strong, but I'm not sure what type of intervention is needed-worried about his health. Talking about his potential and "could be the greatest if only..." are fading from good-natured kidding to genuine concern.

Todd Coenen – will be a true force in the sport as he turned heads with an amazing debut. His wife was very nice as well.

Nick Rosendaul – has made an amazing physical transformation over the last year or so. His medley performance was outstanding and he's made huge strides overall.

Light Weights

Chris Rice –I think this may have been said before, but he's like the old gunslinger a lot of us can't defeat yet. He really reminds me of "the way things used to be" in both sports and in life. His strength and vigor would be great for a man of any age and I think I speak for many when I say he is a role model for fighting the aging process.

Josh Dale –I think he would be the first to admit that he did not perform up to his usual standard, but is still one of the strongest and smartest in the sport.

Stew Rosendaul –Usually Stew and I are at about the same level, but his lack of time to train this year seemed to catch up to him. I expect him to rebound strongly next year.

Tom Guthrie -he's new to the sport and still learning the ropes, but has a lot of strength and should be right in the mix very soon. His enthusiasm and friendliness reminded me of how fun this sport is and hope for attracting more "new blood", regardless of age.

Ladies

Kelly Eaton – obviously has some great strength genetics and showed a lot of determination and effort; I hope she keeps competing and hopefully lights a fire under John to train with her. Great performance Kelly, congratulations!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• barbe705

• jad

• IROC-Z

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2010 Gripmas performance

Grippers in Chokers: I felt too fired up so I started with the 168# COC #3.5 to get on the board before closing the 188.9# SE. I nearly closed the 196# COC #4 twice and was close to blacking out each time.

Euro Pinch – I hadn't done much pinch in training as it bothered the elbow tendinitis I'm coming back from. I compared my thumb-index alignment to others and it seemed mine was wide for my hand size, so I decided to try the 58mm width. It felt like a good width for me as I exceeded my expectations despite the 2HP feeling a bit smooth for my liking. I opened with 186 and then got 193. I easily had 203 lifted and cautiously set it down as soon as I hit the standard-but somehow had swung the whole apparatus forward too much due to tilting it too far and it was the plates that hit-so no lift. I tried again but couldn't get it.

IM Axle Dead Lift –not much training on this and my body was the weak link here, not the hands, so I ended up at 319.

Medley – I did 18 of the items, it was fun, but I was disappointed that I did not get the 2x45 this year but surprised I got all the blobs after only lifting one twice since my injury last summer.

Double Sledge Lever –only got 8, but I feel like my wrist strength is up a good amount from last year and I will continue to focus on it.

Sorry i didnt get to weigh in sooner everyone, sounds like everyone had a great time wish i could have come! i plan on coming in 2012 as i should be done with school and back in the swing of things.

rico

Grippers in Chokers: I felt too fired up so I started with the 168# COC #3.5 to get on the board before closing the 188.9# SE. I nearly closed the 196# COC #4 twice and was close to blacking out each time.

Euro Pinch – I hadn't done much pinch in training as it bothered the elbow tendinitis I'm coming back from. I compared my thumb-index alignment to others and it seemed mine was wide for my hand size, so I decided to try the 58mm width. It felt like a good width for me as I exceeded my expectations despite the 2HP feeling a bit smooth for my liking. I opened with 186 and then got 193. I easily had 203 lifted and cautiously set it down as soon as I hit the standard-but somehow had swung the whole apparatus forward too much due to tilting it too far and it was the plates that hit-so no lift. I tried again but couldn't get it.

IM Axle Dead Lift –not much training on this and my body was the weak link here, not the hands, so I ended up at 319.

Medley – I did 18 of the items, it was fun, but I was disappointed that I did not get the 2x45 this year but surprised I got all the blobs after only lifting one twice since my injury last summer.

Double Sledge Lever –only got 8, but I feel like my wrist strength is up a good amount from last year and I will continue to focus on it.

Bob, did you get that forearm looked at by a doctor? It seems like you've had tendonitis for an awful long time now.

Shoot me a PM bro, don't want to hijack this thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Bob, did you get that forearm looked at by a doctor? It seems like you've had tendonitis for an awful long time now.

Or not.

Or not.

Thanks Jedd!

PM sent.

• 2 months later...

I have been playing around with the dead start double sledge lever. It's hard but I like it. I did 25# with one arm a year ago and figured using both would give roughly double that number but that isn't the way it's working out. No way I'm going to do twice the old single arm number. But I haven't found a way to cheat it yet if the table is set correctly - I'll play with it some more but it's looking pretty good so far.