Reverse Bending

wolfguard

I have always heard that reverse bending is the hardest bending style yet it is the only bending style I can actually do. I can't even begin to dent the nails I do reverse style with any other bend. I was told by some it could be flexibility, but my mobility and flexibility is very high do to the martial arts. Are so people just better at one style of bend even if it is not the most common?

It's probably your technique in the other styles. Pick double overhand or double underhand and work on technique. Search for some videos and see if you can pick up some pointers from them. I was strongest in DU, then reverse then DO until I figured out what I was doing wrong. Now my DO is way stronger now due to dialing in technique.

Martial arts flexibility has nothing to do with, and is not comparable to the flexibility needed for double overhand bending. They are two different things. For double overhand if you can't get the nail up high enough under your chin you won't have the leverage needed to bend much of anything.

Also, every beginner I have seen tries to use mostly wrist power for double overhand and that's not correct. You have to turn your wrists and hands and have the knuckles facing each other. You have to push in on the ends, it's not mainly a wrist power style of bending.

Lack of understanding the technique and the lack of specific flexibility are the reasons I can bend things beginners can't, even though I know they are stronger than me overall. It just takes time and practice.

Hi Mark the Wolf. I started the same way as you. I kept on kinking reverse til I got up to a grade 8 bolt kinking less and less as you could imagine. Really wanting to bend DO I kept on trying, lots of pain, then I finally got it after a few or so bending sessions and then it was on!!!! I believe Eric Milfeld also started something like this and he described it as kind of Morphing into DO Bending. Hope this helps... Good luck!!!!

Hi Mark the Wolf. I started the same way as you. I kept on kinking reverse til I got up to a grade 8 bolt kinking less and less as you could imagine. Really wanting to bend DO I kept on trying, lots of pain, then I finally got it after a few or so bending sessions and then it was on!!!! I believe Eric Milfeld also started something like this and he described it as kind of Morphing into DO Bending. Hope this helps... Good luck!!!!

Mike, good to see you posting again! And Mark, if you don't already know, Booyah is one of the best benders to ever pick up a pair of wraps. Listen to anything he says on this subject!

I have always heard that reverse bending is the hardest bending style yet it is the only bending style I can actually do. I can't even begin to dent the nails I do reverse style with any other bend. I was told by some it could be flexibility, but my mobility and flexibility is very high do to the martial arts. Are so people just better at one style of bend even if it is not the most common?

If you are bending DO style I found that the higher up you can bring it towards your chin the more explosive power you generate. I used to pump my arms upwards 2 or 3 times to get it up as high as possible. Not holding it braced by your chin just as high as you can get it to excert as much energy into the bar for the intial kink.

STRETCHING

To help stretch the upper chest and shoulder girdle area try leaning into a wide door frame and extend your torse forward that will pull that whole area of your torso. I also used to use a bath towel by holding on each end and strech it above your head then pull your arms back as far as possible then follow up with stretching to each side. Stretching excercises like this will help raise yopur range of motion thus letting you get the bar up as high as possible to explode into it.

Hope This Tidbit helps a little my friend

GATOR

• 1 year later...

Okay, I know this is a dead thread, but I'm looking for a bit of clarification. I'm in the exact same situation as the OP. Of course, I plan on getting better at DO kinking since prevailing wisdom says that's the strongest form.

But, for now, reverse bending with the bar at or above shoulder height seems to be considerably easier than any other style. Especially with the bar in close to my shoulder.

My question- is this considered a legit form for bending or is it considered sloppy or cheating? Am I wasting time continuing to kink in this manner? Is it smarter to transition to DO sooner rather than later?

Okay, I know this is a dead thread, but I'm looking for a bit of clarification. I'm in the exact same situation as the OP. Of course, I plan on getting better at DO kinking since prevailing wisdom says that's the strongest form.

But, for now, reverse bending with the bar at or above shoulder height seems to be considerably easier than any other style. Especially with the bar in close to my shoulder.

My question- is this considered a legit form for bending or is it considered sloppy or cheating? Am I wasting time continuing to kink in this manner? Is it smarter to transition to DO sooner rather than later?

I don't think reverse bending is cheating at all. There was a time when I could not kink anything DO and had to start all my bends reverse and then move into DO for the sweep.

Where there isn't inherently anything wrong with bending above your head or below your waist for most (if not all) certifications must be done between the shoulders and waist. It's best to practice how you'll compete. If you never plan on submitting a cert or bending in a comp I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to see how you compare to others that do compete or submit cert attempts I'd recommend to practice within the same guidelines.

Great point. I didn't gather he was going above his head. Thanks Jason.

• Like 1

If I had to pick just one unbraced bending style, it would be reverse. It is currently the most popular style, you see alot of reverse bending along with the reverse-mimicking wrist developer apparatus poping up in contests here and there. And for good reasons. It is probably the best style for measuring wrist strength.

• Like 1