Can Dennis Rogers Bend A Quarter?

Scott Styles

The latest Iron Radio podcast has a claim from David Whitley at 9:45, that Dennis Rogers bent a quarter with his fingers. I know Big Steve bent coins with his teeth, but was under the impression bending a quarter with the fingers was impossible.

Was Whitley tricked? Can Dennis Rogers actually do it? What do you think? Here's the podcast:

http://www.ironradio.org/Audio/79IronRadio_David_Whitley_Iron_Tamer_64.mp3

That's really annoying, here's the page where you can download it:

http://www.ironradio.org/Contrib_Readings.htm

I am skeptical. To the extent that I would want to see this in person, done with a quarter I provided, with no funny business.

Well he specifically claims that Dennis bent a quarter with his fingers and not his teeth or anything like that.

But that's not enough to make it true. I had also always been under the impression that it was impossible to bend one with the fingers. But then again I have no idea of how strong or weak US coins are.

Edited by David_wigren

Actually there has been a man who was able to bend a quarter with his fingers before this claim of Dennis doing it. Off the top of my head I cannot think of his name but I have followed Dennis Rogers for a long time and watching hi is what got me into this never ending spiral of chaos we call grip strength. Dennis Rogers is a freak of nature and the things he has proven and demonstrated to do with his hands is absolutely AMAZING! I do not doubt it for a minute that he can do it. Dennis possesses an amazing amount of hand wrist and lower arm strength and is known world wide for his amazing bends and feats of grip strength. He would not claim to have done it if he could not back up his claim. No doubt in my mind at all.

Hey Scott, how have you been!

Mike Dayton claimed to be able to bend one I believe but it was never really proved. He was also known for doing some other questionable feats and was a bit of a showman. There is a story that I believe involved him being handed a quarter with an identifying mark on it, and him handing back a bent quarter without the mark on it.

Also Richard remember that this isn't Dennis claiming it but David Whitley, and that is a big difference.

I should add that I don't know if a quarter is humanly possible, I'm not sure what kind of technique could have been used to try and bend one. I also do not believe Mike Dayton could do all of the feats he claimed, at least not the way he claimed to do them. That said I haven't heard of Dennis ever faking anything or doing anything improperly. He IS a showman but seems legit. Bent into like a "taco" shape and not just a wobble? I have to say I am very very skeptical.

A week ago Saturday I saw Dennis actually give a seminar and the discussion of bending a quarter came up. At no time did he ever hint he could do so, and more or less said that except bending with your teeth, or a little "wobble" that Stanless Steel can do, that it is not possible. One person said that years ago, someone could do it, and Dennis displayed extreme skepticism regarding that.

The answer is "NO".

didn't the great little strongman Rollins bend coins with his fingers? dimes and nickels and quarters i thought

Wonder if Dennis was playing a gag on Whitley. He sounds so certain it happened.

Good to know I haven't totally lost touch with what's achievable on the bending. Grip's been on the back burner lately.

didn't the great little strongman Rollins bend coins with his fingers? dimes and nickels and quarters i thought

Someone asked this question of Dennis. His reponse was something like, "no, did it with his teeth and hand".

Dennis was finishing his presentation when the discussion had moved to coin bending. In the last 10 minutes of the 90 minute discussion, Stanless Steel had slipped in, but I didn't see him come in. Dennis asked him, "Stan, have you ever 'U'd' a Quarter?"

Stan's reaction was laughter, then "no".