Has Anyone Bent A 60d Barehanded?

David_wigren

As I'm chasing my next goal of bending a 60d barehanded I realized that I've never seen it done before.

I know alot of guys has bent spiral 60d's and timber tires and such, but they are basically like G2's in strength, so I'm not counting them as being a true common 60d.

I remember reading about John Brookfield bending 60d's barehanded. But never had it confirmed that it actually was BAREhanded. Some article might say barehanded but then mean with gloves on or with wraps on, you see guys using that term very frequently in bending. Claiming to bend a nail barehanded but still use protection, or claim a nail drive barehanded but then use protection.

The article I read also said that John went through a 50lb box of 60d's barehanded. Hearing that makes me a bit sceptical to if it actually was BAREhanded.

I know there are guys who could do it. But I'm not sure if anyone really has yet. Guy's I need help on this one, thank you.

I've never kinked one barehanded but i've crushed a few down like that. I've done a few 1/4x6 G2 bolts barehanded though, they just weren't as tough.

I do them all the time

NOT

Edited by rico300zx

Not to take anything away from the feat, but I don't think that the risk versus reward of bending a 60d nail is worth the bodily harm that is likely to ensue. I think that there are several people on the board that can easily bend one barehanded(I am NOT one of those individuals), but it comes down to a pain tolerance/mental toughness(craziness) to pull it off.

I personally would really love to get into the barehanded unbraced bending, but if I get the slightest hand injury, I can't perform my job, and if I can't do that, than the wife and kids starve. Once again, the reward versus the risks just don't pay sensible dividends to me.

Best of luck on your quest David, I am sure you will get the 60d barehanded soon!!

Edited by naturalstrength

Martin, that might have been the best post/link I've ever seen on the gripboard. haha

Carl, good post. Nothing strengthrelated is ever completly safe. Especially when you reach the higher levels of strength.

I've been hurt and injured a number of times. And I try my best to stay away from them as much as possible, while chasing my goals. Because a life without passion is worse than a life with injuries.

However when it comes to barehand bending I don't feel the same risk of injuries. Sure it hurts more, but the pain is always superficial, at least to me. I can deal with pain in the skin. It's broken bones and torn ligaments I try to stay away from. But I feel that the risks of that is actually smaller with barehand bending than it is with minimal wrapping such as 2x2's or Ostlund bending. With barehand bending your skin gives out first before your tendons.

However I'm not saying that it isn't dangerous and I'm not advicing a man like yourself who depend on your hands and good dexterity in them to perform your job.

However my dexterity is still ok. I still kick ass in Guitar Hero lol

. Nothing strengthrelated is ever completly safe. Especially when you reach the higher levels of strength.

I've been hurt and injured a number of times. And I try my best to stay away from them as much as possible, while chasing my goals. Because a life without passion is worse than a life with injuries.

That would make a great sig. line, well said David! I look forward to watching you attain this goal.

Not to take anything away from the feat, but I don't think that the risk versus reward of bending a 60d nail is worth the bodily harm that is likely to ensue. I think that there are several people on the board that can easily bend one barehanded(I am NOT one of those individuals), but it comes down to a pain tolerance/mental toughness(craziness) to pull it off.

I personally would really love to get into the barehanded unbraced bending, but if I get the slightest hand injury, I can't perform my job, and if I can't do that, than the wife and kids starve. Once again, the reward versus the risks just don't pay sensible dividends to me.

Best of luck on your quest David, I am sure you will get the 60d barehanded soon!!

I, like most said already, heard of brookfield bending a whole box of 60ds barehanded. Maybe he used small pads to cushion the ends of the nail or maybe not, maybe he taped the ends maybe not. All i know is that if someone pulls that off, i would be amazed and i mean completely amazed. Not just because it's a tough bend but it's short too. Factoring in the head and the point makes it absolutely incredible IMO.

Carl, i totally get what your saying man, as i DID get a little boubou in my last barehand bend. But thats just because I'm a proud idiot. That was my fifth barehand bend and i am already going a little heavy. I'm sure that a much smarter way to do it would be to go very light at first with aluminum so that the bar is thick and the poundage low. Or use ultra small pads on conventional 1/4 crs and then use 2x2 pads and do alot of volume so you can work it in slowly. I'm a firm believer that the human body can adapt to almost anything, from walking on hot coals to breaking bricks with the head. Now i'm no expert or anything but i think injury occurs when the body is subjected to large amounts of stress that it was not conditioned to sustain. Therefore, although pain during a barehand bend is unavoidable, i do think injury can be if the conditioning is right.

Honestly you can get hurt anytime your training that's y I'm always carefull to warm up. And I try to keep the stupid stuff to a min.

Oh and that girl with the fork, was about the hottest thing I've saw in a long time. My mind was all over the place after that!

Rico

bob, haha I guess it would make a good sig.

I tried again last night but failed miserably. I only wobled the three different peices I tried.

I'll get it eventually though. These goals wouldn't be fun and rewarding if they were fun and worked everytime

You'll get it David. Those nails are rough to do in minimal/no padding. The best I've been able to muster on a 60d is one in a bandanna done underhand. I have also kinked one real good reverse in a bandanna.

I never bent a 60D barehand. Never really went after it because I was worried about the injury aspect too much. Did bend a few in a single bandana (DU start) and did a 6" G5 also in a single bandana and a single IMP. The single IMP was quite a bit easier than the single bandana. Both were more than what I wanted to risk doing again though.

I personally could not believe how fast a ground down piece of drill rod went thru my hand on a slip. A 60 penny could cut staright thru the other side of your hand. I have nightmares during Ostlund bends now! I am for the effort, just go slow and calculated everystep of the way. It took me awhile to get the guts to Ostlund again and barehand crush downs make me want to go pee in my pants. Still, a goal is a goal. If it does go thru your hand, pull it out and crush it down, you are the shoeless horse whisperer! JK you will do it!

I would feel better on a reverse barehanded for some reason and hit some great kinks with drill rod, never posted them because of fear of the crush puncture so I never finish them. Look forward to the vid.

I have nightmares during Ostlund bends now!....and barehand crush downs make me want to go pee in my pants. Still, a goal is a goal. If it does go thru your hand, pull it out and crush it down

LMAO!!!!!!!:yikes

I'm inclined to believe that no one has infact bent a 60d from straight to under 2" barehanded. So as far as we know it has not been documented or witnessed by a reliable sorce that knows the bending game well enough not to get confused about semantics.

I think this is a great goal.

I've also read that John Brookfield bent a box of them barehanded, I've also read he can bend a red barehanded at waist level (all wrist). From the pics I've seen he does it with his hands touching in the center of the bar which would work alot better for a 60D than if you are out on the ends like most people on a DO. But I've never seen a vid of it....

Andy, It's pretty obvoius that there are guys who can do it. Gazza would be an obvious bet here. I think that when you can bend a 6.5" shiny bastard covered in WD40, then a 60d is going to feel a little tame. I'm sure there are others that could do it, or might even have done it.

I've seen those pics to. But if they are the same as I've seen then they were from an article from Ironmind with brookfield talking about the red nail and the differences about Gavin Holle's style(DO) and his own style(at waist level). Later in the article he mentiones that with his style one would require less padding since you don't have to worry about the ends piercing through your padding.

But who knows. Maybe this is something that Ironmind would know more about