Critique My Bending

Bigdeze

I've just started bending and am looking for some tips.  I've had about 5 bending sessions now and want to make sure I'm on the right path.  This is a 60D spiral nail.  Any and all advice is appreciated.

You tried to bend it modern DO but ended up bending it with kind of a slim style. Slim style is more wrist so its harder so good bending. No need to bring it up to neck level with that style just chest level. Notice how close your indexes are compared to other peoples DO bends with 6'' pieces.

Edited by alexis

I would say:

--Get the nail deeper up in your throat.

--Get your hands farther out on the ends of the nail.

--Pin everything down under your chin if you need the reminder to keep it high.

--Watch all of Acorn's videos. Take notes on form and intensity.

--You might need to work on shoulder flexibility too if that is your problem with keeping the nail high.

If want to bend bigger pieces of steel later down the line then you need to keep the steel high under the neck.Like Jed Johnson article he wrote about chicken wingen it.But any ways it worked for you for now.But look into the article jed wrote chicken wigen it I believe .It will give u a better understanding of the D.O positioning.

Thanks guys.  I don't have the most flexible shoulders.  I don't feel like I get any drive into the bar up there so I end up dropping down to chest level.  I've been bending DU also and feel pretty comfortable with it, it's just a little behind my butchered DO style.

Thanks guys.  I don't have the most flexible shoulders.  I don't feel like I get any drive into the bar up there so I end up dropping down to chest level.  I've been bending DU also and feel pretty comfortable with it, it's just a little behind my butchered DO style.

Your bend brings back memories for me because it is exactly what i was doing at first while trying to understand DO. I thought slim style was DO but it's different. You wont get any strength with slim style under the chin my friend, i tried for months and just could not understand how a bar could be bent in this position, i thought i had flexibility problems but i didn't.

If you can touch your throat with your fists and keep your forearms parallel to the ground you can DO no problem. This is the initial position of the bend. Now try to push your fists together at that position using you pecs, this is how your pecs will help to bend the bar. Your lats will bring your elbows down while bending. Together the pecs and the lats bend the bar.

No try it with a bar. Use thick wraps even doubles if you wish and cover only 1.5" of the bar on each end. When this is done, bend the wraps down a bit, the wraps will look like pistol handles. You are now ready to bend the bar. grip the wraps so that only your index and maybe half of the second finger are over the bar and squeeze hard. DO NOT wrap your thumbs around the wraps, rest them over the wraps. Bring the bar to your throat and use your chin to hold the bar into position. This will be hard maybe but it helps to push in while you do this.

When the bar is in position explode into the bend using pecs and lats in the same time. Try to not bend forward too much and concentrate on distributing the force between pecs and lats like gazza does on his recently available vids.

I am now using much thinner wraps (IMPs) and they are covering more of the bar, this is stricter DO but it is much harder to learn and be good at than with the technique i explained. But by using the technique i explained it will trigger the learning. Watching more experimented benders do their thing and being mindful to details will develop your technique. Isos also help to focus your strength and develop technique at different positions.

Hope this helps.

Thanks alexis.  I'm bending with all arms, I don't think I'm firing my pecs at all.  I'll try some isos tonight, it'll be a couple of days before I bend again.  I had cut the heads off the nails so they're all under 5 1/2" but I think you guys are still correct my hands are too close together.  I'll use full length ones next workout or even get some more 3/16 stock to get it right.  I'm using IMPs, guess I'll order some suede or leather wraps or visit the craft store.

I watched some gazza bends, I'm scared now.  :cry lol.  Sick stuff!

Thanks again guys, this is why I posted the vid.  :bow