Stainless Steel Vs. Cold Rolled Steel

RichardBean1

I am curious and know that many of you will have an opinion so I am all ears. I have worked my way through all 1/4" stock to include round of all lengths hex and square. I have also recently been bending 5/16" round crs with single leather wraps without a lot of trouble. My question is and I know it will differ from stock to stock and person to person but on teh average how would stainless stock at 1/4" and 5/16" compare to round, hex, or square at those lenths. For example how would a 1/4" stainless square compare to a 5/16" round crs on the kink and the crush.

I have never bent any stainless stock as it is expensive and don't want to embarass myself but have always been curious to know how it compares.

How far on down the road should I be until I could even think I could bend a shiny bastard at 5/16" x 7"?

Thanks in advance guys as I look forward to hearing all your opinions from years of experience.

1/4 inch stainless square in my experience would be easier on the kink and possibly harder on the crush. If it's a hard batch of CRS then it can certainly have a harder crush than the square.

When you say CRS then I assume you're talking 1018. There is a 1045 available at places like fastenal and in the 1/4 inch round it is much tougher than stainless of the same size.

You're specific questions will be hard to answer with certainty because both stainless and CRS vary so much but as a general rule, the stainless will be harder on the crush and sometimes if it's a tough batch, even the kink can be harder.

5/16 1018 crs has been calibrated by Eric as low as 385 for a 7 inch piece and as high as 500+. The shiny bastards (stainless) has been 545 and as low as I believe 420.

For any given size of steel, 1018 is typically easiest, drill rod is next, stainless is above that and 1045 is the toughest commonly available. It's possible to find 1050, and various other alloy steels that are even higher.

Hope this helps.

Tim

i got some pretty weak 5/16" 1018 CRS at 350 lbs at 7''. Did you mean only 1045 CRS or is the HRS also tougher usually ?

No I've had 1018 calibrated by Eric at 450 pounds at 7 inches and I'd guess that John Beatty's stock is 1018 and they've had 515 pound batches of that. True A36 HRS at 5/16 by 7 inches calibrated at 250 pounds. Zinc plated hit 325.

I've never found 1045 in 5/16 size but it would be mucho tough.

Tim

Thanks for your time in replying to my question. I am confused to your reference of 1018,1045,1050....The only crs stock that I have bent is from Iron Mind and FBBC so not sure which one of those categories that particular stock falls into as I know from experience I have bent several different batches of 5/16 round stock both from Iron Mind and FBBC which varies drastically. I understand that stainless would be harder on the crush than a typical crs stock in the same length and shape...I guess as a rule I need to just purchase some 1/4" stainless square and some 5/16" stainless round both at 7 inches and just bend them and find out for myself...It is hard to guage your progree and where you truly stand on a particular stock when the calibrations vary so much between batches at same length and diameter. My first batch of Reds were "easy" and my newest batch are pretty "hard" especailly on teh crush. The bastard stock I certed on was wicked too had to be 400-450 lb stock, but still crushed "easier" than my newest bacth of Reds. Oh well I need to stop spending so much time worrying about calibrations and just understand that it all varies and I just need to work harder to bend particular pieces. Thanks again...

1/4 inch stainless square in my experience would be easier on the kink and possibly harder on the crush. If it's a hard batch of CRS then it can certainly have a harder crush than the square.

When you say CRS then I assume you're talking 1018. There is a 1045 available at places like fastenal and in the 1/4 inch round it is much tougher than stainless of the same size.

You're specific questions will be hard to answer with certainty because both stainless and CRS vary so much but as a general rule, the stainless will be harder on the crush and sometimes if it's a tough batch, even the kink can be harder.

5/16 1018 crs has been calibrated by Eric as low as 385 for a 7 inch piece and as high as 500+. The shiny bastards (stainless) has been 545 and as low as I believe 420.

For any given size of steel, 1018 is typically easiest, drill rod is next, stainless is above that and 1045 is the toughest commonly available. It's possible to find 1050, and various other alloy steels that are even higher.

Hope this helps.

Tim

I dont know if it will help you but I have a decent list of calibrations of all types of steel up on my site. http://www.az-grip.com

- Aaron

It helps a little just reinforces my opinion that stock varies so much in strength that it is impossible to truly compare and contrast different types of steel and different lengths and shapes without just bending them for yourselves and experimenting with what you have. Thanks for replying as I always appreciate the experienced guys helping out the "new" guys.

1018 is carbon steel. The 18 is the amount of carbon (.18) 1045 would be higher carbon etc. I've heard that reds are 1040 but they feel like 1018 to me and I'd bet that FBBC is 1018 also. It's by far the most common crs.

The zinc stuff at the box stores are all low carbon (about 1008) crs that's been plated.

Tim