Uh Oh...got The Benders Bug

Malice

I was bored the other day and started checking out the benders section and decided that one of my future goals is to bend the red nail. Of course I had to start watching a bunch of vids about it and researching it and ended up buying the benders ebook from Diesel Crew. Excellent ebook with tons of info and now I got the itch bad. I have other primary goals that I want to accomplish first so I think I'll avoid buying any of the bending kits from FBBC or Iron Mind that have different levels of stock so I won't try for something too hard and hurt myself. I might just buy 25 nails from Iron Mind or just pick up some 60D spiral nails from the hardware store but don't know where to start. I was thinking about getting some white nails but remember reading a post not long ago where someone said 3/16" stock was a waste of time because it was so easy. I'm not looking to stroke my ego by trying the hardest thing that I can bend, I want to start with something just challenging enough to be a bit of a challenge but will allow me to try different bending techniques and work on my technique. I'll also be doing the exercises in the ebook for beginning benders to strengthen my wrists, hands, etc. Time to take a trip to my daughter's God Parents horse ranch and tell them to start saving all their old horse shoes for me :tongue

Bending really is what i like the most these days, by far welcome aboard.

It depends who you are but 3/16 is certainly a waste of time if you hit it with the high DO in thick wraps that stick out. But I found it nice to start with in very very thin wraps reverse, strict DU, heslep and others. One 6 ft bar is all I used till I moved up to 1/4 but it helps to learn proper technique at first. I dont think 3/16 steel is meant to challenge you but rather teach you at first. Gazza give some very wise advice to beginners in older threads if you ever want to look it up…

Edited by alexis

I was bored the other day and started checking out the benders section and decided that one of my future goals is to bend the red nail. Of course I had to start watching a bunch of vids about it and researching it and ended up buying the benders ebook from Diesel Crew. Excellent ebook with tons of info and now I got the itch bad. I have other primary goals that I want to accomplish first so I think I'll avoid buying any of the bending kits from FBBC or Iron Mind that have different levels of stock so I won't try for something too hard and hurt myself. I might just buy 25 nails from Iron Mind or just pick up some 60D spiral nails from the hardware store but don't know where to start. I was thinking about getting some white nails but remember reading a post not long ago where someone said 3/16" stock was a waste of time because it was so easy. I'm not looking to stroke my ego by trying the hardest thing that I can bend, I want to start with something just challenging enough to be a bit of a challenge but will allow me to try different bending techniques and work on my technique. I'll also be doing the exercises in the ebook for beginning benders to strengthen my wrists, hands, etc. Time to take a trip to my daughter's God Parents horse ranch and tell them to start saving all their old horse shoes for me :tongue

Good stuff Russ! Take it slow and learn technique before bending anything too stout buddy! This will also help you avoid unwanted injuries too. In my opinion, I would head over to Home Depot, Lowe's, or Fastenal and pick up some 1/4" Crs, some 60d nails, and a few 6x1/4" g2 Hex Bolts. The Crs you can usually buy in 3-4 ft lengths at these locations. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

-Chris

Thanks for the advise guys! Chris, I was planning on hitting up Home Depot for a project I have going on this weekend and will definitely pick up some CRS and 60D's. Maybe some bolts too. I've been purposely avoiding this forum as much as possible since I started training grip cuz I know how I am with something new but now it's too late muahahahahaha.

Thanks for the advise guys! Chris, I was planning on hitting up Home Depot for a project I have going on this weekend and will definitely pick up some CRS and 60D's. Maybe some bolts too. I've been purposely avoiding this forum as much as possible since I started training grip cuz I know how I am with something new but now it's too late muahahahahaha.

HAHA! It's very addicting for sure Russ! I believe Home Depot carries Steelworks brand which is good stuff. The g2 hex bolts will be quite a bit easier and personally, that was my 1st bend! Can't go wrong with any of those three choices Russ. Just make sure not to overdue it in the beginning buddy.

Some days, I can't walk through my basement without picking something up and bending it. Then, that turns into a full-blown bending workout. I have trouble sometimes with taking appropriate rests between bending sessions. I have had a lot of good work with the 60D timber ties for volume and easy warm up bends. Home Depot where I get them have two different kinds: the shiny and dipped ones which are harder.

Good to see that you've got the bending bug Russ! It sounds like you're off to the races man.

Russ I just want to let you know what your getting yourself into man. First it'll start off with just spending a little money here and there on some cold rolled steel and maybe some timber ties or 60D's and then the next thing you know your blowing your kids college money on high dollar stainless and brass in all kinds of shapes you didn't even know they made metal in. Freakin' aircraft bolts that cost as much as real dope! I'm warning you Russ, you seem like a nice guy, be careful. :yikes:laugh:mosher Welcome aboard!

Hahahaha Martin that's pretty funny but at the same time scary cuz that's exactly how I see myself getting. I used to have a small shop where I customized cars, trucks and motorcycles for people and had an account at the local steel supply since I went through so much of it. I guess it's time to head down there and see if the account is still active.

I just got back from Home Depot and picked up a dozen 60D's, half dozen 1/4"x6" g2's and 4 ft. of 1/4" stock. Time to sneak some wash cloths from the cupboard without the wife knowing about it to use for wraps until I can get some real wraps and give this stuff a try. Won't try the nails until I get some suede though.

I only managed a tiny bit of kink in a 1/4x6 g2 using a wash cloth wrapped around it. Pretty shitty but it'll get better I'm sure.