Red Nail Certification

Martin Gaisser

I was just reading over the IM certification rules for bending the Red and noticed that it only said that you had to bend it into a U shape and didn't mention anything about distance between the legs. Has this always been the case? I thought you had to bend it to a certian distance like with most bend certifications.

This has always been the case. When I asked for clarification from Randy Strossen he said something to the effect that he didn't want to split hairs with regards to this requirement.

I think for the most part most people are going to be well under the 2" mark or very close by the time they get around to the cert. You only have 1 minute, so if there is any struggle, it's unlikely to be successful anyway. That's just my two bits :D

Edited by easyWeight

I was just reading over the IM certification rules for bending the Red and noticed that it only said that you had to bend it into a U shape

If you really want to dissect the rules(OR the literal English translation of the rules) as Randal states them on the IM red nail certification, in order to bend a 5/16x7" piece of CRS into a "U-shape" would require the bend to reach a minimum leg-to-leg distance of no more than 3/4" to have legs parallel to each other. Achieving a 2" or under leg-to-leg distance is actually achieving a "V-shape" bend. So, unless you certified with a bend of 3/4" or less, technically speaking you failed your IM red nail certification. I guess that is why Randal didn't want to "split hairs" in making a firm decision regarding this requirement.wink.gif

Edited by naturalstrength

Yea I see what your saying Carl, I haven't bent many pieces of steel into a "literal" U shape and the ones I have don't really won't to go there. Usually when they start getting that close they start springing back in my observations. But then again I haven't bent hardly any 7" or longer stuff which should be easier to crush down. And that's my biggest problem with the Red is the length. I can get a kink in alot of heavier shorter stuff but am having problems with being that wide. I can't imagine trying the 8" stuff like some of you guys are doing.

Yea I see what your saying Carl, I haven't bent many pieces of steel into a "literal" U shape and the ones I have don't really won't to go there. Usually when they start getting that close they start springing back in my observations. But then again I haven't bent hardly any 7" or longer stuff which should be easier to crush down. And that's my biggest problem with the Red is the length. I can get a kink in alot of heavier shorter stuff but am having problems with being that wide. I can't imagine trying the 8" stuff like some of you guys are doing.

After the kink is done, you could crush it to whatever you want for the most part. I never saw a cert that looked 3 or 4 inches apart, after you kill the kink you get excited and blast it!